The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - I was able to hit 5.00Ghz with Cinebench, but with TS bench it gives lots of errors. Does it mean it is not stable ? If i can finish TS test bench means i am stable then, isn't it?

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think you need to reset Turbo clocks value in TS. I don't think all cores work at 40x and mostly 1 core clocks at 45x.

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Some users like the TS Bench test because it does a good job spotting an unstable CPU. Other users do not care if they get a few errors in TS Bench. As long as they are game stable, that is good enough. It is your choice. Give your CPU some more voltage and see if it can pass the TS Bench test. I like being 100% stable which for me includes the TS Bench test.

Other users are reporting the same problem. It will be a few days but I will see what I can do.

abujafar, Vasudev and FrozenLord like this.
  4. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I feel the same way. All cores fully stable at 4.6Ghz with TS Bench test(No errors at all). If i give more voltage to CPU then temps are getting over 98C and throttling. If i would be able to change this temp limit over 98C would be no problem.

5. pau1ow

pau1ow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @unclewebb hey =)

Been a long time user of TS, and really appreciated the update with disabling the power limits - that helps a lot of laptops CPU to run at full power!

However, I've been experiencing some quirks (on my Elitebook X360 1030 G3) as the service used by the RWDRV file is picky - I now have "Error starting the service: access denied" as soon as TS starts up with the disabling PL feature ON, and had some similar service errors previously. When running TS without this feature, I have no issue.

Would you know which service is it trying to use ? :)

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @pau1ow - Are you using the latest version of ThrottleStop from my signature? I know there was a bug with Windows not being able to find the RwDrv.sys file when using the Task Scheduler but this is fixed in TS 8.70.6

7. pau1ow

pau1ow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @unclewebb
    Yes, latest version :( it worked fine for some time but now i got this service error message every time TS starts with the PL feature ON. TS works fine, but my PL are default.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @pau1ow - What exact version of Windows are you using and what antivirus program are you using? Are you using the Task Scheduler or just starting ThrottleStop by double clicking on it? Can you post a screenshot of the error message?

I have not done any recent testing but I should have time tomorrow to have a look at some of the recent TS issues further.

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  9. pau1ow

pau1ow Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @unclewebb
    Appreciate your support as always :)
    Here we go:
    Windows 10 Pro / 1803 / 17134.1
    Windows Defender
    Starting up TS with task scheduler or manually, both give me the error message

More details below:
    [​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @pau1ow - I just updated Windows and did some testing.

Windows 10 Pro - Version 1803 - Build 17134.590
    Avast Antivirus

[​IMG]

Starting up ThrottleStop with the Task Scheduler or starting ThrottleStop manually with the Disable and Lock option checked and both work 100% OK. No complaints.

What is the difference between our systems? Windows Defender.

Some versions of Windows Defender have blocked ThrottleStop before because it uses the WinRing0 driver. Now Windows Defender is blocking the RwDrv.sys because it too can be dangerous.

I do not disagree. ThrottleStop and the Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits are dangerous features. That is why users love them!

I especially like how Windows Defender pretends that it is Windows that is blocking this driver. It cannot man up and admit that it is Windows Defender that is causing the grief.

I have no plans to change anything to try and make Windows Defender happy.