The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Brad331

Brad331 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What are some of those components?

2. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Stuff like MOSFETS and other components related to power. Im not great in component-level knowledge I'm afraid.

3. Brad331

Brad331 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Even if you put thermal pad between the CPU and keyboard deck, you'll heat up the latter to at most about 60°C. That's not a significant threat to MOSFETs which can survive over 100°C. What IS a significant and very real threat, is not heatsinking the VRMs to anything. XPS 15, X1 Extreme etc. If you attached their VR components to a 60°C chassis they'd be better off. Right now they're going over 75°C. So it's important to consider that those components are heating themselves more on their own.

Better heat spread, which means lower peak temperature, would actually be healthy.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  4. Park Ju Hyung

Park Ju Hyung Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, @unclewebb

Can I ask for the details on the recent ThrottleStop's IccMax control?

My primary OS is Linux and since ThrottleStop is only available on Windows, I need to find a way on how to override IccMax on Linux as well.
    Default IccMax on my laptop(LG Gram) is quite low, and hitting all cores even with non-AVX workload quickly throttles down the CPU.
    Raising IccMax solves this issue.

I'm very familiar with MSR and MCHBAR, and I already got undervolt and power limit modifications working on Linux,
    but I wasn't able to find much information regarding IccMax.

I'd greatly appreciate it if you can help.

Thanks!

Vasudev likes this.
  5. 1x250

1x250 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am having problems with throttlestop program on i5 8300H, Windows10 x64. Even if undervolt is reset (set to 0), while doing stress test CPU clock speed does not exceed 3GHz. If throttlestop is not working then clock speed during stress test reaches about 3.9GHz. Maybe I have clicked something else by accident? What can I check to fix this and reach full CPU power with undervolt?

I have tried undervolting same values (from -125 to -155) in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility everything works ok, clock speed reaces about 3.8 GHz while stress testing. Maybe I have ticked something unnecessarily in TS. Could someone help me locate that?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Maybe.
    Post some ThrottleStop screenshots; FIVR, TPL, main screen and lets find out what you have done.

c69k and Vasudev like this.
  7. kekkis

kekkis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also have the issue when resuming from hibernate my throttlestop config is not in effect. Easiest to tell is from my lowered turbo multipliers. Haven't investigated if my voltage offsets are also not applied after resume. Would be interested to hear updates about that and if you need some tests let me know. I'm running xps 13 9360 with i7 8550u.

8. 1x250

1x250 Newbie

Reputations:
    Here is my setup.
    https://imgur.com/a/kfoIWTQ

I have also noticed that there is no screenshot button on my legion Y530.. o_O

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You are concerned about your CPU when stress testing, I ask you to share some pictures, so you show me pictures of your CPU running at full speed when idle. Your CPU is running great in the picture you posted and there is nothing too unusual with your settings.

Try using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option. After that, show me some new pictures when the CPU is fully loaded during a stress test. If the multiplier is not maintaining full speed, include Limit Reasons in your screenshot. Start by using a simple test like the built in TS Bench test.

It will be another week before I have time available to seriously look at this. When Windows goes into or resumes from sleep or hibernate mode, it sends a signal that software can listen to. When ThrottleStop gets a signal that a user has resumed, it normally applies the voltages and the multipliers accordingly. As far as I know, this has always worked correctly until fairly recently. It continues to work correctly on the hardware that I have access to. At the moment it seems like the signal that Windows 10 sends out has changed. It could also be Speed Shift or connected stand by related or who knows.

I do not have an 8th Gen laptop to test with. My plan is to write some code to log what signals Windows sends out during sleep, hibernate and when it resumes. Once that is done, I will make it available so users can do some testing.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. kekkis

kekkis Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems that after resume the "Turn on" is available in throttlestop. If i click that it still does not apply anything. If i still do turn off and turn on - nothing. But if i open FIVR and click OK there, they apply. I have the lowest radiobutton set for saving the ini.