The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @pressing - The screenshots you posted show 100% load and all 4 cores are showing the 28.00 multiplier. That is the maximum speed for a 6300HQ when 4 cores are active. That is not throttling. Same thing for the screenshot that @Papusan posted. HWiNFO is reporting the 28 multiplier for all 4 cores. It is running as fast as Intel designed it to run.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core i5-6300HQ Mobile processor.html

The 45 Watt number is a maximum rating. If it does not need 45 Watts to run at full speed, that is OK.

It is not unusual for some things to be flagged yellow in Limit Reasons after your boot up. It is only important if they are glowing or flashing red while the CPU is loaded. That and a lower multiplier will confirm throttling.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Brad331 and pressing like this.
  2. qzzy

qzzy Newbie

Reputations:
    For me, I tested with some games and CPU is below 80, usually below 75 and around 70 °C with multiplier 39 all the way. So no throttling in CPU and also for GPU, its the same, max is 73-75°C and max clock.

@unclewebb, thanks a lot for explanations and insight. I cleared my doubts and I appreciate the support.

3. Cooler-master

Cooler-master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you.
    I want to limit ratio to 34. CPU is 8750H in DELL XPS 15 9570.
    But after hibernate ratio is 41! You can see it on HW info screenshot. Max freq is 4100 mHz.

2.png

4. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay, guess i'll stay with this advice:
    Any good guide on this?

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Cooler-master - I tested this on my 7th Gen desktop computer and the Turbo Ratio Limits were being applied correctly after resuming from Sleep or Hibernate mode. Instead of showing me HWiNFO, can you show me a screenshot of ThrottleStop so I can see how you have it setup. Run a single thread of the TS Bench and take a screenshot of ThrottleStop while that test is running so I can see what it shows when a load is applied to the CPU.

HWiNFO is showing me that the CPU is running at 1097 MHz so I am not sure when that max speed was recorded.

Edit - Is it possible that ThrottleStop is not using the Performance profile in your screenshot?

Is your computer going into Sleep mode and then automatically going directly into Hibernate mode after that?

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone not having this problem?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Cooler-master likes this.
  6. Cooler-master

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reply!

The problem exists only with hibernate mode. In sleep mode all is OK.

1. I start my laptop after hibernate
    2. Run any game or heavy programm or cpu test and the cpu shows ratio 39-41.
    3. I open FIVR in TS and press "OK".
    4. Run any game or heavy programm or cpu test and see ratio 34.
    I captured a small video with my problem.

And also take screenshot.

I have not any system timer. Laptop goes in hibernate mode when i close lid only.

I think TS is using Perfomance profile.

27C103C9-B684-447E-A8C9-CEFC3DA7DA1D.jpeg

A0FF0111-1729-4C22-923B-46147B3265F9.jpeg

7. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have same kind of problem, when i restart my notebook. I will send screenshot later.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Cooler-master - Thanks for the information and taking the time to upload a video. If you can do some testing for me, I will try to get this problem figured out for you. I will send you a test version of TS in a day or two.

@onrblbl - No need to send me a screenshot. I will send the test version of TS to you too when it is done.

Cooler-master likes this.
  9. Cooler-master

Reputations:
    Thank you!
    I will do what you need.

10. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I appreciate for your support, thank you.