The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @unclewebb are there documents or white papers from Intel to understand what each option in Throttlestop does? Thanks!

Is the PL3 limit set by the BIOS before booting the OS?

another stupid question, why didn't you put " Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits " under TPL? It took me a while to figure it out.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @abujafar - Intel offers a lot of documentation to the public but some of it is like Swiss cheese. Here is some light bedtime reading.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-sdm

The voltage control features in the FIVR window are not publicly documented by Intel. You only get access to the good stuff if you are a multi-million dollar company and you are willing to sign your life away. My friend Dufus is responsible for the majority of ThrottleStop's many features including all of the FIVR voltage controls. TS Limit Reasons is a direct copy of his Limit Reasons program.

I assume that PL3 is set by the bios.

Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits was an experimental feature. I was not sure if it was going to be useful so I added it to where I had some space available. The TPL window had become bloated and was on a diet at the time so I did not want to add anything in there. Once I move the Speed Shift stuff out of the TPL window, there will be plenty of room for the Disable & Lock feature in the TPL window where it naturally belongs.

Time for some testing. The first picture shows a desktop CPU throttling.

[​IMG]

When 4 cores are active, a Core i5-7600 that is not throttling should be using the 39 multiplier. You can see that the multiplier is below that so this CPU is throttling. Why? Limit Reasons shows that PL2 is the main cause. What is the PL2 limit set to in TS? 36. What does ThrottleStop show for PKG Power? 36.0 W

This seems to be working OK.

Next, I used TS to drop the turbo power limits to 15.

[​IMG]

ThrottleStop reports PKG Power at 15.0 W and the multi has dropped significantly to an average of 18.83. Definitely some serious throttling in progress. PL2 continues to light up in Limit Reasons so it is the source of this misery. The drop in CPU power consumption has also caused a drop in the CPU package temperature.

As long as a person disables the secondary power limits using the FIVR - Disable & Lock feature, you should be able to use the primary power limit adjusters in TS - TPL to control the CPU performance and power limits.

Intel XTU combines these limits so it adjusts both of them at the same time. My decision to get rid of the secondary limits is much more useful. It can be used to eliminate DPTF throttling as well as many other ill-conceived throttling schemes. At the end of the day, that is what ThrottleStop is all about.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. abujafar

abujafar Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link!
    Volume 3 - Chapter 14 seems the most relevant

Also I can confirm that what you described works on my i7-8750H in the XPS15. I even successfully my turbo time limit to 56secs
    I kind of figured out on my own what you just did but used cinebench as stessor.

Thanks, this explanation about two layers of power limits makes a lot of sense. I really wish I would know more about this subject!!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Me too! :D

There is also a third set of turbo power limits. The CPU constantly compares all of them and uses the lowest power limit. TS and XTU cannot get to this third set of power limits. Best to keep quiet before some manufacturer comes up with a great idea to make our lives miserable.

5. qzzy

qzzy Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb , I tried disable and lock turbo power limits, with installing the config file first. But I couldnt observe the effect in HWInfo. it was still 45W. Also during stress test, even though I changed the default 28seconds for max turbo timer to maximum, I am still having PL1 power limit. during stress test, I am getting, for example, 50-60W pck power but, after 20~ seconds, PL1 shows up and my frequency drops down to 3.4GHz sometimes, or to give a range, 3.1-3.5 GHz.

I checked BIOS for some settings about power limit but I couldnt find anything, also I tried to increase the power limit and lock it after enabling Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits to 55W for example but, I didnt observe a change.

During games though, for example Withcher 3, I just downloaded and tested, I get 3.9-4GHz CPU and 1.7Ghz GPU with 98% Load usually. Temperature-wise, they all look ok, CPU is never over 65 degrees celcius, GPU is never over 75 degrees celcius, its also note to worth that I didnt observe spikes or FPS drops during the testing. I got 40+ FPS during gaming which should be normal I guess for the GPU.

Is there any other way to test this TPL limits and observe the effect? I tried to increase like I said but, I didnt see any effect, the maximum power after 30 seconds of stress test is 45W even though I was locking to 50-55W for example.

6. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - I've two question for you if you please answer. First; Do you recommend using the feature "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits", i still didn't get how does this function works. Second; Do i have to click "Clamp" for Long and Short Power Max in TPL.

7. Cooler-master

Cooler-master Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello.

I use TT in Dell xps 15 9570. Very good programm, thank you.

But i have an issues.

I limit miltiplier to 34(max is 41) and udervolt to -0.200.
    All ok, but when my laptop went to hybernation, and then i turs it on, the TT works not correctly. It does not limit multiplier to 34, it limits it to 41(cpu-z says about it). If i open FIVR and closed it, it will help and multiplier limits to 34.
    This issues appears only with hybernation mode. If i shutdown laptop or go to sleep mode all is ok.

Can you help me with my problem?

8. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @Cooler-master - I had same kind of problem. If i shutdown TS is not keeping the same multiplier i choose earlier.

9. onrblbl

onrblbl Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the issue i am having. "VR CURRENT"

10. Brad331

Brad331 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh, this does work! Thank you for the clarification. I apologize for having made an assumption.
    Wow, I did not know there is not one, not two, but THREE sets of power limits! This information fits perfectly with what I'm seeing on my Razer Blade Stealth. I believe the third power limit is programmed in the EC firmware. On Blade 15, "Gaming Mode" in Razer Synapse changes power limit from 35W to 45W. Stealth replaced that with an even more pathetic "Lower Power Mode" that limits package power to 8W. According to RWEverything, it switches EC register 5F from 00 to 03. I put in 03 manually in RWE to try to induce Low Power mode myself to no effect. Anyone got an idea how to get rid of this type of power throttling? I've got access to all the BIOS menus thanks to AFUWIN and AMIBCP; I have already changed the power in "Config TDP Configurations" to no effect.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.