The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. -BaTaB-

-BaTaB- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Will do as soon as I can. By the way I did set turbo limits at 2.6 GHz and I will check my power plan settings even though I already messed up with those in past and I should have the right settings.

With speedstep on it's literaly at 1.5GHz fixed when I run TS bench, no matter what. 4 - 4.5W PKG power and no limits popping.
    With speedstep off and speedshift on at 0 SST I get basically the same PKG power but I see frequencies going up to 1.6 GHz with instant spikes at 1.8 or 2 GHz at best. Still no limits popping.

In both cases temps are very low. 38-42°C and this makes sense considering such a low PKG power. Plus I was using with its keyboard and stand to avoid the possible "skin sensor" interaction.

Will figure out what's going on and/or post some screens to get some help.

2. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Another reason not to update, hopefully we will get the heads up here, because MS will probably list this as priority security update or some other nonsense.

3. proj3ctmayh3m

proj3ctmayh3m Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello @unclewebb, I would thank you for the usefull TS utility, and moreover for your support in this forum and other community. I'm reading lot of stuff by you (and many others skilled users) around the web, learning alot about my hardware, and tweaking succesfully the system.

There is a question about how TS is working, I cant still understand... a little intro on my scenario:

MSI GS65 (so 8750H cpu) and 1070 MAX-Q
    Windows 10 1803 (build 17134.472)
    TS 8.6

Using HWiNFO for monitoring some stuff, I noticed the core and cache voltage offset I have set with TS (for undervolting) remain valid, at least that's say HWiNFO in IA and Uncore offset value, even after a reboot or shutdown, with TS not running. I have not configured auto startup for TS (no task scheduler like in first page, and of course not the default windows startup way).

I thought no offset was applied after reboot or shutdown if TS was not started again, with "Turn On" button enabled.
    What I'm not understanding? Thanks!

I attach a screenshot of my CB record also, to show some settings too:
    Screenshot 2019-01-04 16.23.00.png

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You are most welcome.

Does your laptop have any voltage control options in the bios? Is Intel XTU installed and running in the background or are you using any MSI app that uses any part of Intel XTU? Have a look in the Task Manager for any XTU remnants.

During a reboot or shutdown, the bios is supposed to reset the FIVR voltages to their default values. Windows 10 has a hybrid shutdown or reboot feature that might not allow the bios to take care of the voltages. Instead of resetting all of the FIVR voltages to zero, it will just leave them as is. This is unusual but it is not the first time I have heard about this happening. To bypass the hybrid feature, hold down the Shift keyboard key and while this is still held down, click on the Windows 10 - Power - Shutdown menu option. After you start up, check the voltages with HWiNFO and CPUID HWMonitor. If you use Sleep, remember to restart these two apps to make sure they re-sample your CPU voltages.

For future reference, the Turn On button only controls 3 things; Set Multiplier, Chipset Clock Modulation which is no longer used and Clock Modulation which is rarely used. The FIVR voltage controls and most everything else in ThrottleStop works whether ThrottleStop is in Monitoring mode or in Active mode.

When bench testing I would use a Speed Shift EPP value of 0 for maximum performance. Sad to see that MSI set the maximum PROCHOT temperature to 90°C when the Intel specified and safe value for the 8750H is 100°C. Reducing the maximum safe temperature can reduce performance and is not what Intel wants manufacturers to be doing.

@-BaTaB- Are you using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature yet?

@pete962 - Last time Microsoft tried to block the WinRing0 driver, users must have complained so Microsoft caved in. Anyone on the Insider Preview versions needs to provide feedback. I know I complained last time they came up with this idea.

5. -BaTaB-

-BaTaB- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unclewebb ok, so I found out that my custom power plan was messing something up. With the standard power plan I'm in a better spot. Cores go up to 2.4GHz. I'm at roughly 8W PKG power and hitting PL2 and EDP OTHER limits. It's still weird that I don't get the 2.6 GHz even if I've set 2-core turbo to 26.

I'm using the disable and lock turbo power already and I've also set both limits @ 12W in the TPL panel. Now using SpeedStep or SpeedShift makes no difference, I'm at the 2.4 GHz wall in both cases. Icc max or something else to mess up with maybe?

I might also disable the modern standby and check all the settings of the standard power plan, maybe there is still something to change in there too.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Maleko48 likes this.
  7. dondiato

dondiato Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey! Thank you very much for ThrottleStop. I have been using Intel XTU for a while but in the end I prefer your program over theirs.

I am not quite sure if my settings are "perfect" for my daily usage and I don't really know where to start...

Maybe I'll start like this:
    I've got a T480s (i5-8350U, 16GB RAM, no dedicated GPU).

My current settings:
    https://imgur.com/a/H7U0rzv (I don't know how to directly insert screenshots in here - sorry)

About my usage:
    I only browse (with five to fifteen tabs) [Firefox] and I use Thunderbird, Word, Acrobat Reader. That's basically it.

Thank you for any advice and thanks again for creating such a helpful thing!

Best,
    DD

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The good thing about ThrottleStop is your settings do not have to be perfect. If your undervolt is stable, it should allow your CPU to run a little cooler or run longer while on battery power. If your CPU is able to run at its Intel rated speed without any throttling then you must be doing something right. If you have any specific questions or concerns, just ask.

All your settings look reasonable and well thought out. No signs of randomly clicking on boxes just for the sake of clicking on boxes. Your imgur link is also wonderful. Maybe I should add it to my signature. Got a question? Here is what I need to see. :)

For your settings, some CPUs need to have the iGPU Unslice offset voltage set equal to the Intel GPU offset voltage. If you do not do this, on some CPU models, the Intel GPU undervolt will be ignored.

9. re23071998

re23071998 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    got the same laptop as yours, how was your mx150? seems like Lenovo set the GPU power limit too early on this laptop

10. Radioo

Radioo Newbie

Reputations:
    I rarely play games. Haven't installed a single game on the 320s. I only use the MX150 for GPU acceleration in perf hungry apps like Sigma Photo Pro. Even a gimped version of a low end GPU like the MX150 is easily 2-3x faster than the CPU. And that makes a world of difference when editing RAW files.