The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. re23071998

re23071998 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't know about cinebench loop test, but it seem really stable running ableton live with a bunch of heavy plugins

2. artic_squirrel

artic_squirrel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hello, I have the same cpu m3-7Y30 on my samsung tablet with windows 1803. I struggle to understand all the parameters of throttlestop. Can you show me your settings ?
    I hope I can copy them, I mainly do internet browsing on mine, but with the new version 8.70, there is some lag, for instance when I switch between windows

3. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The best thing you can do with these m-series CPUs is remove the power limit. Next is to improve your thermals. But the best thing you can do is to 'Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits' in TS>FIVR. Then go to TS>TPL and change the Turbo Boost Long Power Max and Short Power Max to a higher value.

But what affects your day-to-day activities most is your Speedshift EPP value. Check that it is enabled, then adjust the value. 0 is max performance, 255 is max battery. For snappy performance, keep it below 128.

upload_2019-1-5_20-58-8.png

Don't click on anything you don't know the function of, even if I have told you above. Make sure you know what you are changing. If not, a quick search of the 953 pages on this thread will give you a lot of information. What applies to the 7Y30 applies to the Intel Core M3/m5/m7 of the Skylake/Kabylake/Broadwell generation including 7Y75, 6Y75, 6Y30, 5Y10, 5Y30c etc.
    upload_2019-1-5_20-59-18.png
    And make sure TS is set to 'Ok - Save voltages after ThrottleStop exits'. I like to live dangerously.

Attached Files:

ID01, unclewebb and Vasudev like this.
  4. turk4n

turk4n Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently gotten a laptop, Acer Aspire 7 A715-71G with i5 7300HQ and a GTX1050. This thing is amazing for the value I payed, less than 500$.
    Now my concerns are how do I safely work with it? I have filled around with the undervolt thing and did a straight -125mv on core and cache, disabled turbo and the laptop never reaches 55c in stress test and 60c in gaming.
    So fun thing with this laptop, the fans are "silent" when cpu is under 65c and gpu 50c, as soon gpu reaches 50c the fans kick on at a 50% speed, which is noisy.
    Either way I am super happy, is there anything else I should do with throttlestop to tweak or so?

hmscott likes this.
  5. magnetoeric

magnetoeric Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Since last one month or so, i'm seeing edp others in yellow in limit reasons. It occasionally flashes in red while using my laptop normally. Does this by any chance cause random stutters in games? Log file doesn't report anything under limit reasons. I'm currently using -160mv on core and -140 on cache.

6. -BaTaB-

-BaTaB- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm wondering: how beneficial would it be to get throttlestop on my Surface with the core-m 7y30? Is there margin in thermals and performance boost? Any experience?

On this 7820HK throttlestop is like a miracle but I hadn't tried it on the Surface.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Solid Eye

Solid Eye Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I really searched a lot to understand what does "Turbo Time Limit" , "PP0 Turbo Time Limit" and "Clamp" in TPL mean with no luck! for now I put EPP to 0 and that's all should I do more?

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No worries. Thanks for taking the time to confirm that everything is OK. I started getting worried that maybe there was one last line of expiry code that I somehow forgot to delete. We should all be good for a few decades now. :vbthumbsup:

It makes it a lot easier if you post a screenshot or two of your present settings. It helps me see if ThrottleStop is working as designed. Sometimes I can spot settings that could be completely out to lunch for your CPU. Some Log File data is another valuable piece of information.

Maybe. Why not play a game with the Log File option checked. It should show if your CPU is randomly dropping MHz. The Limit Reasons screen samples at a higher frequency so it is possible to see something briefly flash red even if something is not recorded in the log file for limit reasons. The CPU Multi column will show if the throttling was severe or insignificant.

That is hard to believe. You have to introduce your Surface to ThrottleStop. They could become life long friends. I am sure that @Che0063 can confirm that. Even better friends than ThrottleStop and your 7820HK.

I don't even know what CPU you have. Post some screenshots. That makes it so much easier to answer your questions.

9. sniffin

sniffin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am worried about this WinRing0 driver problem in the new Windows builds. TS is so much better than XTU. Unclewebb is there a possibility of a workaround or do we have to find ways of never updating again?

10. -BaTaB-

-BaTaB- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    NP sir.

And well, Considering what you say I guess I will TS my Surface. Any advice from @Che0063 then?