The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I have never played with a Core m3-7Y30 or similar but I think it supports the Intel Power Balance feature. The last laptop I remember using Intel Power Balance on was a 3rd Gen U CPU so this feature has been around for a while. My laptop also uses the default settings of 9 and 13.
    You can adjust each setting from 0 to 31. If you want your Intel GPU to get the majority of the power budget you would set the Intel GPU to 31 and the Intel CPU to 0. When set like this, when you reach the 7W power limit, the CPU cores should throttle first to stay within the power budget. This should be better for gaming. Give it a try.

Maleko48 and CedricFP like this.
  2. Jena_Plissken

Jena_Plissken Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was asking me... is there a way (or will there ever be one) in TS to selectively disable cpu cores on the go?

Both the Windows-related methods I know are not direct, they require a system reboot or the creation of a batch file with command lines for each application. I think it might be good to have such a feature in TS, if there isn't one already.

3. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think there is really any reason or benefit from this considering the excellent sleep states we have available on the newest generations of Intel i CPUs. It would be a moot option imo as the power savings would be negligible at best and non-existent at worst.

What generation CPU did you have in mind that you are wanting to use this feature on?

Jena_Plissken and unclewebb like this.
  4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Jena_Plissken - I am pretty sure that when disabling cores a system reboot is always going to be required. No plans to add this to ThrottleStop. On your 6 core 8750H, if additional cores are not needed, they will automatically enter the C7 state where they are disconnected from the voltage rail so they are getting 0 volts. They are also disconnected from the internal clock so unused cores are running at 0 MHz. Hard to improve upon that. Any gains from disabling cores would be so small that they would be difficult to measure. Intel CPUs do a great job when it comes to power efficiency.

FrozenLord and Jena_Plissken like this.
  5. CedricFP

CedricFP Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the explanation, @unclewebb

How can I tell if this setting is working or not? I've been playing with it, going from 0 cpu 31 gpu to the reverse, and have not noticed any difference in the clocks my CPU boosts to, or performance in game.

I know for a fact that the iGPU won't run at full clocks until about 10~12w tdp, but that's too hot for the handheld so I keep it at 7. Is this indicating that either the setting in TS is not applying, or that even with 0 CPU and 31 GPU, the 7w power limit is still not enough to allow for full iGPU clock speeds?

I understand that this is kind of a niche question, but just a guess on your part would be helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

6. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm swapping out my Mi Notebook Pro with a Teclast F6 Pro, which has the m3-7Y30. I'll report back on this when I get it in a few weeks.
    (It has a 100% unlocked BIOS - That means lots of fun to be had)

7. Decadon

Decadon Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, new member here, and also a newly-established happy user of TS. I have some quick questions regarding BD PROCHOT:

From what I've understood so far from stalking the guide here, as well as from other sources, BD PROCHOT is suppose to throttle the CPU because of outside sources getting too hot (i.e. GPU). But it's said that most of the time BD PROCHOT is triggered is just because of bad sensors in the motherboard. I've already disabled BD PROCHOT and found great results in CPU-Intensive games where BD PROCHOT is triggered usually.

But the question I want to ask is, is this safe? Like, is there no repercussions at all? This is considering how BD PROCHOT is supposed to stop other components from overheating by throttling the CPU to drop the overall temperature. Wouldn't disabling it open the way for those components that I do not know of to overheat?

Thanks.

edit: I'm using a laptop (Acer Aspire E5-576G). My CPU temps are around 85C on load after undervolting both CPU, iGPU, and dGPU. And also, could I ask what C1E means? And whether should I unticked it or not on TS?

Another thing I'm curious in TS is IccMax. I've read somewhere in this guide that it could indirectly influence the Package Power, and I've discovered on my laptop that although the Turbo Boost Long Power Max is working fine --like how it would take it longer for the CPU to throttle due to TDP-- my Package Power always caps at 19W regardless that I've set TPL beyond 19W. If I do set the TPL to 15, the Package Power properly caps at 15W. What I want to know is, is raising the IccMax also safe? And will raising it help in increasing my Package Power limit? If not, what do you recommend?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 7:18 AM
  8. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    a i8750h with only 4 cores enabled, would get 4GHz and lesser power drain, which could be better for some games.

I read there was a program to park cores, but dunno if it would work that way.

9. KamikazeGV

KamikazeGV Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    First of all, THIS PROGRAM ROCKSSS!!!
    Secondly, I am new in throttlestop and I cannot seem to find an option to disable individual cores in a specific profile. Is there one and I am just a noob or there is not? I searched the forum and could not seem to find an answer.
    Thanks in advance!