The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  2. korzychxp

korzychxp Newbie

Reputations:
    My B85 can overclock 4670K but QDE4 not.

3. equalizer2000

equalizer2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    TVB is pointless - I don't get the point about trying to optimize it in TS? It only kicks in, what, below 50 deg C? So basically if the computer is doing absolutely nothing, and you need a 3 second spurt, it might help, right. (maybe 1.5 seconds actually - as long as it takes for the temp sensor to register it) I really don't get it in a laptop. Desktop, sure, give some extra kick if the chassis cooling is working really well.

4. Tomatot

Tomatot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for your help.

Here is my help in return:

I've played a bit with both my ThrottleStop Profiles and with default Windows Profiles.

My TS profiles are :
    1: 0
    2: 96
    3: 192

According to the FIVR window, they are ALWAYS applied when my windows profile is set to "best performance".

According to the FIVR window again, they are NEVER applied when I choose any other windows profile.

Best battery life / better battery life: 178 EPP
    Better performance : 127 EPP
    Best performance: TS profile currently set. (FYI I haven't checked what EPP Windows chooses in case TS is not running).

So conclusion: if you want TS to work, just always pick the "best performance" Windows profile.

It would be interesting to check on other PCs to make sure my statement is right but I don't see why it would be different. So feel free to add my conclusions to your OP so people don't get disappointed by your great soft'. :)

unclewebb likes this.
  5. equalizer2000

Reputations:
    I just wanted to make a point on the Windows power profiles - in Windows 10 anyway, there is just the balanced plan by default. The names "performance", "balanced", etc., are just that, names. Some OEMs might add more by default, I don't know. You can edit any plan to make the CPU behave how you want, you just have to go to Advanced Plan settings, drill down into the CPU area, and set the min and max, set the power savings mode for the CPU, etc.

But yes, any overclocking (for performance reasons) should always be done plugged in and on the best plan settings, whether there is an existing default high performance plan, or copying and making a new plan (and calling it high performance or whatever one wants).

6. nekolife

nekolife Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi! Thanks for ThrottleStop.
    It's very useful and I enjoy reading your various technical responses here.

I use TS 8.60 with an XPS15 9550 (i7-6700HQ + 960m).
    Undervolted by -150 on CPU, cache and GPU.
    Speed Shift enabled (1 ... 35).
    Speed Shift - EPP (ON) 128
    SpeedStep (ON)
    C1E (ON)

For a long time I had obvious throttling, visible under the Limits window.
    It had EDP OTHER tripped all the time, frequently would trip PL1 and PL2 etc.

I repasted it and applied thermal pads per common guides to great effect.
    After doing that the Limits window is clean all the time, even EDP OTHER stays gone.

Perfect except ....
    Randomly while gaming, the clock multiplier will drop all the way to 9x and the system nearly halts being very unresponsive to basic tasks. But the Limits window is still empty, the Throttle and PROCHOT 97c aren't tripped either. No apparently reason for why the multiplier dropped to 9x.

While it's doing this if I set Speed Shift - EPP to 0, the multiplier goes back up to 32 and the system is responsive again. The game still feels wrong though, like the system is still throttling somehow. If I set that back to 128 the clock will go back to 9x immediately.

The particular game I am playing drops to 15 FPS when the window is inactive, so I can easily test reducing the CPU/GPU load just switching away for a while. After 5-10 minutes switched away like that this 9x multiplier thing goes away.

Additional things I have tried:
    Get rid of Internal Dynamic Thermal Framework.
    Enabled Ultra Performance thermal profile in Dell Command Power Manager ("processor and cooling fan speed is increased for more performance")
    Set windows power plan CPU min/max to 100 and turn off any power saving looking options.

Any ideas what sort of limit might be tripped that ThrottleStop is not showing?

7. equalizer2000

Reputations:
    It sounds like your GPU is the device throttling, and the CPU slows down simply because the game has slowed down (due to GPU), hence no work for the CPU to do. That fits with raising EPP to 0, because that will force max clock all the time. This is assuming you've also logged CPU temp and it's staying below thermal thresholds (not sure what it is on your chip, but let's say less than 90 degrees C?). I know thermal alarm hasn't gone off, so it sounds ok, but just to be sure. Unless the CPU load showed 100% when it stuttered, was it?

I actually had the same issue when changing my panel to a 4K from a QHD screen, game would stutter every time there was action. (AC Origins, all ultra settings) Lowering settings didn't help much. I wasn't as knowledgeable about all the limits, but CPU temp wasn't above 90 max. Anyway, when I did a re-paste with liquid metal, suddenly ultra settings at 4K worked fine, 40-55 FPS. I can't explain it to this day. GPU wasn't going over 75; CPU wasn't hitting the threshold for thermal throttling. I had already re-padded the VRMs on the motherboard. But somehow changing to liquid metal did help.

Sometimes I have to wonder if the temp sensor isn't the full story; maybe the average heat throughout the chips matters too. So the max temp looks fine, but if the average temp of the silicon is also that high temp, maybe that is no good. I would assume the temp sensor in the chip is engineered to capture it in a way that is useful, of course. This is just some far out speculation on my part.

Are you running on a cooling pad btw? Have you tried forcing more air at the intakes just to see if that makes a difference, or running with cover off, etc.?

8. nekolife

nekolife Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I thought of this, but it didn't seem to fit that Windows itself would be nearly halted while at 9x multiplier.
    Also, if the GPU was limiting so much that it causes the game AND windows to nearly halt, so the cpu multipler scaled to 9x with nothing to do, then forcing the CPU multiplier up via EPP=0 or a direct multiplier setting would not change the GPU limit that set off the chain of events. i.e., if the GPU was the source of the problem it would not go away regardless of the CPU multiplier.

The max CPU temps reported by TS seem ok, max ranges from 75c to 86c. (That's 25 and 14 as DTS, still a ways off from 0)

In this case the game runs buttery smooth for hours, and only has this issue sometimes.
    Seems related to ambient temperature if I had to guess.

Yeah, it certainly seems thermal related. What's odd is that there is no visible throttle indicator, and the CPU lets me force the multiplier up so the thermal situation is clearly not that bad.

I use it on a hard surface that allows good airflow to the bottom intakes.
    Never actually tried one of those cooling pads.

9. equalizer2000

Reputations:
    I see, I missed the part about Windows being unresponsive also. Video glitching is one thing like if it freezes, but if it's truly running slow, then yeah. Plus I didn't realize you were saying the EPP change also improved the responsiveness.

I think the cooling pad is a necessity if one's going for highest performance and using GPU and CPU at once. Even just lifting a notebook more in the air seems to help, I had a Macbook Pro that was like that. Not even a fan stand, just a riser, and the internal fans didn't work as hard. I am pretty sure I've noticed a few degrees difference on this Alienware even just turning the pad's fan on and off while the laptop is under load. Might be worth a shot (or at least lift, and maybe run with cover off - if you have any kind of fan, just blow it at the bottom/intakes). Keep track of ambient temps too - sometimes I am testing and temp is markedly better or worse, and then I realize from my wall thermometer, oh that's why, it's only 71 F (or it's 80F).

Hopefully others will have an opinion too!

10. Garcia98

Garcia98 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -150mV on the iGPU is way too low for the XPS 9550 and it might be the root of your problems, a heavy iGPU undervolt usually won't cause a bluescreen like a CPU undervolt would, but it will freeze your system under certain loads (as the Desktop Window Manager relies on the iGPU not on the dGPU). I personally use -100mV on the iGPU and everything is fine.

You could also dig into your Windows power profile and disable every power saving feature that might be enabled.

Maleko48 likes this.