The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Falkentyne likes this.
  2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

TVB is only on mobile iirc.

If you need data to investigate I can provide them.

:(

upload_2018-10-27_5-16-22.png

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    @unclewebb sorry I meant 3.1GHz is the current throttling thing. If overclock is disabled and TVB is inactive it'll go higher than 3.1

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. equalizer2000

equalizer2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unclewebb Thanks so much! That really clears up a lot for me. I had a feeling HWInfo was playing with the flags and making those limits go crazy. Yellow was throwing me for a loop because sometimes it starts off yellow, but it makes sense now that it means in the past. I will definitely try the Disable/Lock feature next. I was going to ask about that, eventually, but it must be time now! :) Thanks again.

5. korzychxp

korzychxp Newbie

Reputations:
    I read this topic
    https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/what-controls-turbo-core-in-xeons.2496647/page-98

And people on Xeons can mod their bioses to change multipliers to maximum on 4 cores.

My problem is that i have QDE4 engineering sample and it is 4770K.

But my motherboard Gigabyte B85 D3H v1.0/1.1 is blocking to overclock it and i can only force max turbo. I can't even change voltage.

Default clock is 2800Mhz and i can force it to 3200Mhz on all cores.

Can anyone help? Maybe we can change microcodes or something.

I tried flashing older bioses but with no profit.

This is my CPU-Z report:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/iphms2

6. Tomatot

Tomatot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answer. Then do you know how I can check what's my current EPP? So I could see what has the priority: your soft or Windows. Or the last one which edited the settings. Thanks. :)

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The table in the top right corner of the FIVR window shows the current Speed Shift EPP value that the CPU is using. The data in that table is being updated approximately once per second.

Both Windows 10 and TS are writing data to the exact same CPU register to control EPP. I do not know the frequency that Windows is doing this. Recent versions of TS might be winning the fight over this register.

The B85 chipset might not allow any CPU overclocking. In that era, the Z87 chipset was the one that Intel designed for overclocking.

Thanks for introducing me to Thermal Velocity Boost. Unfortunately there is probably not much I am going to be able to do until I have some hardware to play with and some documentation from Intel. That might be years from now. Are you using the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature?

8. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    TVB is only Supported on Intel® Core™ i9-8950HK and Intel® Xeon® E-2186M. <Intel> implemented this uselsess feature (I call it scam) to be able to charge $200 more than usual from the OEM's/Notebook manufacturers. And as usual the notebook manufacturers continue the scam and add $600 on top vs. H mobile cpu's if you jump on this...

The Core i9 clock cycles go up. Who cares where they come down?
    That's not my department say, er... Intel, Apple and Dell

[​IMG]
    Owners of laptops fitted with Intel's Core i9 high-performance processor, including computers made by Apple and Dell, are finding that the machines slow down compared to the pace of older models.

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    FTFY, @unclewebb

Vistar Shook likes this.
  10. Mobius 1

Reputations:
    No, I'll check it after this.

Do you need any experimentation data from the X1E that will help you try and investigate this?

From the testing and experience with X1E it does seem that TVB is somewhat active or partially active on the 8850H.

Vistar Shook likes this.