The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Garcia98

Garcia98 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm a long time lurker of these forums and I'm happy to see that people are starting to realize that DPTF by itself is not the throttling devil that some people think it is.

I have an XPS 9550 and for years people have recommended to disable DPTF to "fix" throttling, however doing this caused clock modulation throttling after a short period of time on high load tasks.
    And that kind of throttling is MUCH worse than the frequency/voltage throttling that happens when DPTF is enabled (I've never seen clock modulation going below 100% with DPTF), but everybody knows what frequency is so they just look at those numbers while ignoring clock modulation ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

With that said I can understand that some implementations of DPTF can be pretty crappy as it comes down to the vendor to adjust all the settings DPTF has (and there are a lot), but at least in my case DPTF does a good job at what it is supposed to do, controlling thermals with a low performance impact.

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and t456 like this.
  2. Andy120nz

Andy120nz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unclewebb
    Many thanks for your and some others here's assisstance. I'm stoked with the results and have a real screamer now.

unclewebb and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  3. ja666

ja666 Newbie

Reputations:
    How do you disable nVidia PowerMizer? Manually, editing win registry, or with 3rd party app PowerMizer Manager?

4. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is there a way to make this run at startup without the extra steps? Like MSI afterburner allows with a check box.

5. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I force people to use the Task Scheduler on purpose. It helps weed out people that have no idea what they are doing. Learning about the Task Scheduler is also a good skill to learn.

I do have some code available that I might add to TS in a month or two that will let users add ThrottleStop to their startup sequence with one click. Very few people have asked for this feature so I am still debating whether to do this or not. It might cause problems for users that undervolt their CPU based on what someone said in a forum and not on any hands on testing. When undervolting, it is very easy to get your computer stuck in a BSOD loop if you have not thoroughly tested your new settings. Users that cannot follow the Task Scheduler Guide might have a lot of trouble fixing this problem. ThrottleStop will get the blame.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

Maleko48, Papusan, cktducky and 5 others like this.
  6. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What about show the option once TS has been opened X times, or ran for X minutes/hours ? Or having to write some text on the config file, like MSI Afterburner

c69k likes this.
  7. mnewxcv

mnewxcv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    good points, thanks.

8. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What I do is make a seperate using account labled something like nots or nouv and that accout doesn't have throttlestop running so if I pull a rookie mistake, I can use that account as a backup.

9. Tofacitinib

Tofacitinib Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  10. Queen 6

Queen 6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Personally I'm fine with using Task Scheduler, and tend to agree if people struggle setting up TS to autostart with this method, they may end up with bigger issues to deal with. For me there's also advantage in being able to delay TS a couple of minutes.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018