The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My bios is really limited, there are no DPTF settings. oh well.

I tried this same thing on my dell venue 11 7140 with core m -5y71.
    CPUID 00000006h EAX is 00000077h so the 'HDC availability resource' is disabled. sad. Trying to even load the PKG_HDC_CTL MSR in Rweverything causes blue screens.
    Using crystal cpuID (doesn't crash) I can see that PKG_HDC_CTL is 0 and PM_CTL1 is even set to 0. Thanks dell.

Vasudev and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  2. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh wow.. Alright :) it was little higher because I was multitasking when taking those screenshots :) but I'm sure it was much much lower than that! believe me! :) I am so so so sure [I swear] it was much lower than that as I was taking screenshot depending on task bar CPU temperature Icon from TS :)

Oh alright.. I guess I can't change your mind except proving it to you... :oops:

With HDC disabled through MSR
    upload_2018-10-10_1-26-8.png

With HDC Enabled through MSR
    upload_2018-10-10_1-33-36.png

Getting HDC feature on TS will help alot of people really :) I'm sure about it :)

Honestly.. I totally forgot about telling you or reporting you this problem on TS and you reminded me just now! :) the temperature that is showing on TS is not the same that is showing on icon on the taskbar.. I don't know were this number gets from...? :)

For example just right now.... :)
    upload_2018-10-10_0-28-53.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh sorry to hear that...:oops: have you tried googling about unlocking your BIOS? maybe there is some people managed to do it? who knows...;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    c69k likes this.
  3. THE-HL

THE-HL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How can you tell if hdc is on? I just followed your dtfp registry fix since that enables it rite? I tried RWEverything and it blue screens when I try to add it, thx for your work btw

4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I am not 100% convinced but I am convinced enough to add this new HDC feature to ThrottleStop. If a lot of people come to this forum and thank me, I will send them your way. You can sit back and glow in the positive feedback. Maybe rack up some +reps. :D

Thanks for pointing out the temperature discrepancy. I can explain. The temperature number you circled on the main TS screen is a reading of the package temperature. This temperature includes all of the individual cores plus the iGPU plus a few more temperature sensors scattered about the CPU package. This should always represent the peak temperature anywhere within the CPU package.

The number in the task bar looks to be only the peak core temperature. When fully loaded, these two numbers are usually the same since the hottest temperature coming from anywhere on the CPU package is usually at a hot spot on one of the cores. When idle, the hottest core temperature is usually less than the peak package temperature. In the next TS version, I will change this so the two numbers should report the same CPU package temperature.

We really cannot tell for sure. Sometimes in life, you just have to believe! Hopefully the next version of TS will let you toggle HDC on and off without crashing your computer and you will be able to do your own testing to see if your idle or load temps are improved any.

5. THE-HL

THE-HL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    lol okie thanks

6. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No Intel DPTF settings to be found anywhere on my laptop... locked BIOS. Not even in devmgmt.msc.

HDC was enabled by default on my system - I checked in RW-Everything MSR. I tried disabling it, and it did not have any effect on my system.
    upload_2018-10-10_13-51-13.png

The setting says that HDC is disabled even though MSR says its enabled. No plans for an unlocked BIOS here. :( Battery life is better than I need it to do atm - 9-12hrs on a single charge here at school.

7. Dashing_97

Dashing_97 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Something really weird is happening for me, speedshift is already enabled for me in throttlestop. I dont have to select "start speedshift with computer startup". This was with a clean installation of throttlestop on a clean windows. How is this possible on my alienware 17 r3?

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've the same issue, pressing Win+shift+s to screen snip causes CPU to use 4-7W so I used snipping tool in background to capture correct low wattage on battery. HDC BTW, is enabled on battery only. On AC its disabled by default.

Maleko48 and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  9. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you :vbsmile: and Thank you for taking your time & clearing up confusion that I have :)

I guess Intel DPTF is disabled by default on your BIOS :oops: He got the same problem too http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-905#post-10807029 the problem is sometimes OEM disable Intel DPTF option on the BOIS & they hide this option from you...
    as I said before...
    but battery life is pretty good ;) so you are not into position of needing it really :) but imagine if you got HDC enabled.... oh man..you can go over 12hrs easily :eek::cool:

Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Newer versions of Windows 10 enable Speed Shift automatically. If you want Windows to manage the Speed Shift EPP value, do not put a check mark in the ThrottleStop Speed Shift - EPP box. Never a good idea to have two different programs trying to mange the same thing.

I use the Print Screen key on the keyboard. You can also use ALT + Print Screen if you only want a snapshot of the window that is currently open and highlighted. This method takes a snapshot before the Watts goes up. After that you can Paste the image from the Clipboard into Paint or into whatever program you like.