The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. FrozenLord

FrozenLord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I help in any way?
    I am running an i5 8250u and would like to assist :)

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Because I hate seeing that dreaded 800MHz bug that plagued AW echo models. Let me swallow my pride and try to get that bug out.
    Another tip for TS users in VM, enabling Virtualize counters and VT-x in VMware gives negative clock readings and increased CPU usage.

Maleko48 and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  3. SvanX

SvanX Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanx for the info I thought overclock check was only to overclock the higher stock multiplier. Even unchecked TS report a FID of 36.00 (Stock multipliers 39-37-36-35 TS reporting 38.xx.)
    I switched all cores to 35.

This is the stock bios dump after having been optimized by default :

[​IMG]

The CPU core and CPU cache stock offset are at +20mv. If I take a standard base of undervolt -100mv will be better to start with a cache offset at -80mv.

TS is very important for me because I can not access all settings in bios. Asus hide all dangerous ones (May be to much troubles under guarantee with customers)

I will bench with System Agent at 0mv to see if I get instability.

For IccMax I am gonna crank them up. Can I do it too for Intel GPU too ? TS detecting 20 A (XTU not showing this info)

(For XTU it's a separate install on another disk and if I test some settings with it or just get some infos, after I always go to bios to do optimized by default before going back to Windows with TS)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  4. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea it seems weird although I got different case from yours.. is that no matter if I shutdown & started or Rebooted... my PKG_HDC_CTL is always set to 1 :) which is expected because in the BIOS I have got HDC enabled :) [it was disabled by default] and I immediately noticed decrease on power consumption on TS... I couldn't believe it! so.. I tried another monitor [HWInfo] and it shows the same results during load & idle :)

Maybe because mine is Intel HQ model not a Intel U model? so it doesn't have the capability to count or see how many HDC happened? I'm sure of it because it can't be a placebo while having different results :D it is proven that it worked to others also even if they don't have a Intel U model :)

And I confirm also that it works wonderfully on Windows 10 RS5 1809 17763.1 :)

5. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    But the fail safe is 0 :) so don't worry about it... try putting it 0 ;)

From my experience on messing with BIOS stuff on nearly every single thing.. I sometimes stuck on some settings that I don't know about (even after extensive research) and no results..so... I go to my last option to know the answer.... which is looking at the Fail safe :) it will tell you if you want to mess with it or not :D

because I am tired of disassembling my laptop to reflash my BIOS though SPI programmer over & over :D

SvanX likes this.
  6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    When fully loaded, the Clamp option can reduce the multiplier below the default multiplier. I would never check this option. It will have zero effect on idle temps.

I do not like seeing a CPU locked at 800 MHz either. This can happen if you disable EIST / SpeedStep in the bios, especially on many Dells. The moment you run ThrottleStop with Speed Shift enabled, the CPU should clock up to its full rated speed and EIST / SpeedStep will not matter after that.

If those are your stock multipliers, TS will not be reporting 38.xx when you are running the TS Bench with all 4 cores loaded. With 4 active cores, the maximum multiplier when using those settings is going to be 35.

Those voltages are not really stock. It is just the voltage that your bios has set the CPU to. The Intel default voltage offset is always going to be zero for core, cache, iGPU, system agent, etc. Any CPU should be able to run 100% reliably at default turbo multipliers while using this default voltage. I would start at zero and then crank up the multiplier and adjust the voltage accordingly after that. Give the CPU whatever voltage it needs to be stable. It does not make any sense to start with a positive voltage offset if you have not done any testing or if your testing does not indicate that your CPU needs this extra voltage.

That is what I like to hear. The IccMax settings can cause throttling if set too low so better to set both of them too high than too low.

With a 7th Gen desktop CPU, I do not see any difference in reported power consumption when HDC is enabled, same as your screenshot. That's why I am wondering if HDC is causing the drop or maybe something else like the Cache is running slower. Maybe keep an eye on the FIVR monitoring data to make sure the Cache multiplier is consistent.

It will be simple to add an HDC enable / disable check box to ThrottleStop so users can do some testing. While waiting for that new feature, you could use RWEverything to toggle PKG_HDC_CTL (0xDB0) from 1 to 0 and back to 1 again to see if power consumption changes.

Maybe. If you are comfortable using RWEverything, go back to the previous page and see if you can use RWEverything to view the registers shown on the previous page. We are sort of in the deep end of the pool. It is OK if you have no idea what I am talking about. :)

Maleko48 and c69k like this.
  7. THE-HL

THE-HL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Even on a laptop clamp should be disabled?

8. SvanX

SvanX Newbie

Reputations:
    My bad I was doing bench with 1 thread :rolleyes::D

I got PL1 Core limit so I increaded undervolt to 99.6 and now PKG power is max 44.1 W on 45W and problem fixed. Thanx a lot for everything ;) I will improve settings in 2 weeks with Conductonaut :D.

c69k likes this.
  9. xenocracy_2001

xenocracy_2001 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello unclewebb

Search the last Version for Windows XP. Can i have a Download link ?
    Thank You for Help me again.

xenocracy_2001

Have found

ThrottleStop 8.60 and 8.70 no for Windows XP
    I have Installed Visual C++ Redistributable Packages für Visual Studio 2013.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Disabling EIST in BIOS does get the cpu locked 800MHz like you said. Let me try once again.