The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Lightning_-

Lightning_- Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to have per-profile power limit settings? Just like how each of the 4 profiles can their own voltage settings?

2. Andy120nz

Andy120nz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is where im at with the Aorus X7/i7-8850H. I have the undervolt back alot to stop bench errors.

Attached Files:

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Some laptops lock out turbo bin adjustments in the bios and the 3rd Gen Intel CPUs do not support undervolting.

I thought writing ThrottleStop would help expose and put an end to the throttling madness but it has not. The average laptop is way more powerful than what most consumers need to run Facebook, etc. Mediocre performance is acceptable to the majority of consumers so manufacturers are not financially motivated to change.

Some random PL2 throttling while idle or on startup is not that important.

Now that is important. Nice score.

@SvanX - Your settings look fine. Most people do not undervolt the System Agent by -0.250V. If that setting works for you without causing any stability problems then great. I avoid checking the BD PROCHOT option. I also prefer using a Speed Shift EPP setting of 0 when plugged in and 80 when on battery power. Many people use the default 128 setting. If I had a 7820HK, I would check the FIVR - Overclock option to see what speed it can run at.

@THEBOSS619 - The HDC registers are well documented in chapter 14.5 of the Intel public documentation. I have a desktop 7th Gen but so far I have not been able to get HDC to work. If HDC is working for you and you know how to use RWEverything, could you post a screenshot of these registers?

[​IMG]

HDC control might be something useful to add to ThrottleStop for those that do not want to install the DPTF stuff.

When Speed Shift is enabled, SpeedStep is ignored so whether SpeedStep is checked or not does not matter. C1E and Speed Shift are two different things. Intel says C1E should be enabled. On battery power, perhaps having C1E enabled is a good thing. Modern CPUs have so many other lower power C states to choose from that having C1E enabled or not might not make any significant difference.

Not yet but maybe someday. An alternative to this is to use different IccMax settings for each profile. This is an indirect way that you can reduce power consumption for each profile.

Nice to see a laptop that has decent cooling. 80+ Watts at only 75°C with a steady 42.00 multiplier are the kind of numbers I like to see. Maybe government needs to regulate this industry better and force manufacturers to include a sticker like that on the top of every new laptop. Instead of an ENERGY STAR sticker, how about a PERFORMANCE STAR sticker? This laptop is hereby rated to run at its rated specification without overheating or throttling itself to death. Consumers deserve more from this industry.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  4. Queen 6

Queen 6 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Asus ROG GL703GS - 8750H, 32GB @ 2666, 1070 GTX -140.3mV Courtesy of ThrottleStop
    [​IMG]

More interestingly with Turbo limits disabled and a longer benchmark. Possibly has a little more to come, looking to break 3000K Rays/Sec, although already at a sustained 3.9GHz...
    [​IMG]

Can go as deep as -160mV, however the GL703GS has a TDP down feature (silent mode) and when on battery -160mV is too deep with the notebook being a little unstable. At -140mV the notebook is bulletproof regardless of the TDP setting (35W, 40W, 45W).

Default PL1 45W, PL2 90W, Turbo limits are unlocked and ThrottleStop 8.7 can successfully adjust them. although for the most part the notebook is already very fast, so I leave it at the 45W/90W default setting.

Big thx to uncleweb, a scholar and a gent :)

Q-6

5. THE-HL

THE-HL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks and quick question; do i need to have clamp checked? does it affect idle temps?

Attached Files:

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    With W10 RS1 (before implementing HWP) speedshift feature needed C1E and EIST to work correctly. With RS2 and above we can get away with disabling C1E and EIST through TS provided, we have enabled all options in BIOS such as HWP,C1E and EIST as well. Disabling C1E and EIST will BIOS might have side-effect like CPU clocks stuck at 800MHz or at stock base multipliers (Usually on dell PC; mine is included as well, don't ask for me for screenshot).
    There's another scenario where Speedshift is the only thing enabled whilst C1E and EIST are disabled give worse performance than default TS settings where all are enabled. (Some HP,Lenovo or in general Insyde BIOS exhibit it)
    Maybe @Falkentyne know it.

Maleko48 likes this.
  7. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here.. :) well I'm not familiar with RWEverything but I managed to do it :)
    At first time when I added all those Register Names all at once.. I got BSOD related to RWeverything drivers so... anyway after restart I did it one by one and I got it all without problems ;) but.. it seems like I have the same things like on your image..even though I still have all the effect of DPTF :)
    Here... :) Sorry it was not clear before so... I edited the color of the picture to get clear letters & numbers. RWEverything didn't like my custom theme :D
    upload_2018-10-8_18-4-028.jpg

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    You are most welcome. Always nice to hear about a laptop that can run the 8750H at its full Intel rated speed.

I can understand that if EIST is disabled in the bios, that might cause problems. After you boot up and Speed Shift is enabled, the state of SpeedStep (EIST) should not make any difference.

If I do not see a screenshot then I start thinking that maybe it never happened. :)

Thanks for going beyond the call of duty. When I boot up, my PKG_HDC_CTL is set to 0. Setting that to 1 should enable HDC. I thought that if HDC was enabled then one of the three Residency counters would start counting upward but both our screenshots show all 0. I might have to find a 7th or 8th Gen U CPU so I can do some HDC testing.

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  9. SvanX

SvanX Newbie

Reputations:
    @Krzyslaw @THEBOSS619

Apologize guys I didn't understand well about DPTF earlier :cool:

First thanx for the precious time you took to answer :). System Agent is at default stock +0.250V (not negativ). I decided to set all cores to x36 (overclock unchecked) with only Speed Shift at 0 and C1E checked (Unchecked clamp in TPL). Everything looks fine (max FID). Undervolt was to high earlier I got higher temps now I am at -89.8mv. Need more testing since I switched all cores to the same multiplier. Much more simple now to check FID with one multiplier. I took the CPU IccMax value from default stock XTU was not well detected like Non Turbo Ratio. Would like also to say that if you have one default stock value read by TS for FIVR control superior at 125mv (in my case System Agent), you should select range of one of your undervolt (CPU core or CPU cache) to 250mv. If I wasn't doing this I saw many times System Agent dropping to 125mv (Notice that System Agent wasn't unlocked for all my tests).

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    My eyes are not that great. I missed the + sign and just assumed that you were undervolting. The default offset for this setting should be 0. Any Intel CPU should be able to run just fine without needing a positive or negative voltage offset. Your laptop manufacturer might have changed this setting in the bios. Not sure why. Either that or when you first ran ThrottleStop, it picked up this setting because the CPU was set to this by Intel XTU. Does the System Agent need to be set higher than default for stability? I would do some testing with the System Agent set to zero for a baseline.

CPU World shows that the highest multiplier when not overclockiing a 7820HK is 35 when 3 or 4 cores are active.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 i7-7820HK.html

When the TS Bench test is running, does ThrottleStop show the 35 or the 36 multiplier? You might have to enable the Overclock option to get the 36 multiplier when 4 cores are active. It is also possible that CPU World is wrong.

For IccMax, I would just crank it to the maximum so the CPU doesn't throttle.

I think if you need to set any of the FIVR offsets greater than 125 mV then you will need to click on the 250 mV Range button for all of them. I never need to go beyond 125 mV so this feature might need to be improved. Thanks for the bug report.

Thanks for the info. It might be a while before I update to that version so it is nice to know that ThrottleStop continues to work just fine.