The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Can you max out the power limits, or are those stunted values shown in the BIOS photo already at the limit?

Look for an MSR Lock setting in the BIOS and if you can find that change it to "disabled" and that may help. It that was enabled on the M18xR1 and M18xR2 it would absolutely cripple overclocking and totally emasculate the Extreme CPU.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

[​IMG][​IMG]

"Custom ConfigTDP Count" set to 1
    "Custom ConfigTDP Boot Index" set to 1
    "ConfigTDP Turbo Activation Ratio" set to 22
    "ConfigTDP Config TDP Control" set to 1
    Then I set all power limit to 199 watts just to make everything uniform and still have the issue.

It can go beyond 199 but some of the values max out at 200 or 225/255 iirc.

MSR lock disabled (I think this is the correct option, don't see it anywhere else)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  3. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hi, I've got a 3740QM in my M6700, and when opening Throttlestop or XTU, it doesn't allow me to open up turbo bins, or even undervolt which I need for the battery life. I've seen screenshots of being able to due these, but they haven't been on my specific machine. As well, TS works with my Clevo (as expected)

4. kurtzyload

kurtzyload Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb @Papusan well, I've reached the end of the road with my Apple case. After some more back and forth - which included them requiring me to reproduce the issue with a Metal app in macOS (since apparently OpenGL isn't good enough for them) - *and* me trying another macbook pro (same model) to confirm it isn't just an issue with my particular laptop, I've confirmed to myself anyway that they are absolutely limiting this thing via firmware. They refuse to even attempt to reproduce the issue on their end or acknowledge the issue. Do these issues need more media attention to get companies to stop making laptops that can't (or won't) perform to spec? Very frustrating.

Maleko48 and Papusan like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You might need backing from Dave Lee aka Dave2D or Linus Tech tips or even Louis Rossman from youtube.

Maleko48 likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    @Mobius 1 Have you tried AMIBCP and checked each option's description? DPTF is custom made by manufacturers and not generic, so what works for one, might not work on another PC.
    @THEBOSS619 can help you in tweaking DPTF values.

Maleko48 and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  7. gunnar77

gunnar77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I found that CINEBENCH R15 OpenGL test is really sensitive to the Speed Shift EPP value:

EPP=128 > 75-80 fps, fid around 29
    EPP<=64 > 95-105 fps, fid around 39-40

Just curious why that is since cpu doesn't heat up at all..?

Unfortunately the setting doesn't really do anything for furmark and I get a poor 62 fps in both cases (1080, fullscreen), and fid really low all the time

I have the Clevo P950EP6 + GTX-1060

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  8. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Mobius 1 Can you check on your BIOS that you have DPTF option? if you have it.. please enable it and then refer to my post :) on my signature title [ ✪Low CPU Temp. & High Performance through Intel DPTF Fix✪] :)

Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.
  9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  10. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh alright.. I see now.. didn't notice this.. I'm not familiar with the older versions of DPTF :D but anyway they still look similar.. so..

@Mobius 1 First of all I need all your DPTF options to captured because depending to your scroll on the right of your picture means there is more pages for DPTF options ;)

Anyway.. according to your screenshot.. change your both [Long Term Power Limit] to 47 and your both [Short Term Power Limit] to 56 and then change your both [ConfigTDP Turbo Activation Ratio] to 27

As you can see.. I'm trying to be too conservative about those BIOS changes as doing it too extreme will make your windows won't accept those values and you will enter to boot loop :)

So.. try those values and see if you realize less throttling.. if you see less throttling then I think we are going to the right direction ;) Let me know! :)

Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.