The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you're using linux, install intel's powertop and run calibrate option on both AC and battery mode to best results. It will lower your power drain. Install tlp as well for best experience.

Che0063 and Ionising_Radiation like this.
  2. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Strange issue with a Toughpad G1 Mk4, 6300U: enabing SST hardlocks my tablet.

Wat do?

3. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think I've finally gotten rid of power limit throttling on my XPS 13 9360 (8550U) thanks to TS 8.7. Performance is way up. I checked disable and lock power limits in FIVR, which didn't help on it's own, and changed the TDP levels in the TPL window and checked the clamp, which didn't work, until I also locked the turbo boost power limits. So now, I appear to have a system which will run at 25 watts, which is what I had typed in for long power limit, continuously.

I also can't change any of the values anymore because of the lock. How do we disable the lock temporarily?

Maleko48 likes this.
  4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    It sounds like you did not follow the ThrottleStop Task Scheduler guide. Read the guide. Follow it exactly and your problem will be solved.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

In theory, C7s can save more power than C7. Will you notice a huge or measurable difference? Probably not.

You and @Falkentyne have got me curious now. Maybe in a week or two I will have more time to do some testing.

Maybe but it sounds too complicated. An undervolt does not have to be exact. A couple of extra mV will ensure stability while only creating a tiny amount of extra heat. Best to error on the side of too much voltage rather than not enough.

Moving the TS IccMax Cache slider high or low did not make any difference on my laptop.

Words to live by. Full speed ahead is always best!

Installing the RwDrv.sys file does unlock a hidden feature, as long as you put a check mark in the Disable and Lock box.

Are you using ThrottleStop to undervolt your CPU? If enabling Speed Shift causes a CPU to lock up, it is almost always because of lack of voltage.

I have been going crazy waiting to hear about a success story like that. Can you post some pics to show other users what needs to be done to take care of this throttling problem?

The ThrottleStop Lock feature is a feature of the CPU. When you check and apply the Lock option, this lock is applied to the entire register within the CPU. Once a CPU register is locked, there is no way to unlock it unless you reboot or do a sleep or hibernate / resume cycle. When you resume, before running ThrottleStop, you might have to remove the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file to prevent ThrottleStop from locking this register again. I wish there was an easier way to unlock a locked register but as far as I know, there isn't.

Papusan, User32, Maleko48 and 6 others like this.
  5. magnetoeric

magnetoeric Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for replying unclewebb. I'm not entirely sure whether this is the reason, but increasing cache iccmax reduced stutters while playing games with absolutely no change in cpu temperature. So it's a good thing for me :D

Maleko48 likes this.
  6. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And I've been going crazy trying to solve the problem! I've gotten information from you along the way in this thread, so thank you very much.

It's always been confusing trying to figure out why my 8550U sometimes throttles to 15W right after turbo boost time ends, and sometimes throttles to 18W (which I assumed was because of the VRs overheating, as XTU identified that as the cause of the throttle). With TS 8.6, I think 15W throttling was engaging somehow, so I switched to XTU, which kept it at 18W, but now I'm running right at the thermal limit with TS 8.7, which for my laptop is about 22-24W. I can actually play the witcher 3 on my laptop now, it was just throttling to 15W which made it totally unplayable.

I'm really not 100% sure what the important factors in achieving this are, but I don't run XTU anymore, so my TS settings should be sufficient. Though in the past I did go through the registry and edit power settings to make sure any limits imposed by (Dell modified) Intel drivers are removed (things like using cTDP UP in all cases, etc.) so that may be necessary too.

Here are my TS settings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks, this isn't that bad. I think the only thing you could do to make it easier would be to add another button which removes the lock from the throttlestop INI (like priming it to remove the lock) which you could check before rebooting so that throttlestop wouldn't automatically reapply the lock, and we wouldn't have to delete the entire INI.

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

Ok, how about C7r "enable processor idle power saving C7r state."?

Vasudev likes this.
  8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That sounds good. TS 8.70 can be used to lock both power limits. Putting a check mark in the FIVR - Disable and Lock box is probably helping you to get beyond the previous turbo power limits that you were hitting.

I noticed on your screenshot that Speed Shift - EPP is checked. This option will not do anything until Speed Shift is enabled within the CPU. Check the Speed Shift option in the TPL window to enable Speed Shift and you should see SST light up in green on the main TS screen.

I am going to have a look at the Lock feature and try to make it more user friendly when you need to unlock this setting. You will still need to reboot but hopefully I can change things so you will not be forced to delete the TS.INI config file. Thanks for the feedback.

I think C7r is better than C7 for power savings. Big savings? Once again, probably not.

Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.
  9. Andy120nz

Andy120nz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have had a EDP limit pop up while gaming, but nothing stands out in the data around it. ts benching isnt throwing any errors or limits.

Attached Files:

10. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Ok.

I have this weird problem with adjusting TDP, lets say that I set the power limit at 50w but under load the whole package throttles at around 38-40w. And whenever I set a new power limit it will TDP throttle way lower than what I set it at. It doesn't matter if I put a high TDP or low TDP it always happens.

3920XM with unlocked bios.

Any idea to why this might be happening?