The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I usually don't recommend you mess with iGPU offset(not unslice) because it cause stutters and restrict the max undervolt your cpu can go. You can ask @pressing since he uses PC for Low latency apps. Kabylake and above sees much lower temps with everything undervolted to same values.(CPU,Cache,iPU,System Agent and iGPU unslice).

2. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reg fix. I added those reg files and all options were avalible.

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  3. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You must have DPTF enabled on your BIOS... :) I even mentioned that from the very first post :)
    Here...
    So.. in case you don't have a DPTF option available on your BIOS then unfortunately it is highly likely that it is not supported or disabled but hidden due to locked down BIOS so... in order to find out.. unlock or mod your BIOS :)

Awesome.. :cool:

As long as it is an AMI bios.. there is always something..

Maybe try your chances & see if you can do it? :)
    Here's the link :) https://www.win-raid.com/t286f16-Guide-Flashing-modified-AMI-Aptio-UEFI-using-AFU.html

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  4. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What about an i5 8th Gen. ? it is still considered technically an i7 version due to 4 Physical cores & 8 Logical Cores just like 6th & 7th Gen. of i7 :)

I know everyone have his own preferences but.. I'm just throwing an idea here that's all :)

5. Andy120nz

Andy120nz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I backed the cache undervolt off a bit and no errors.
    I have a i7-8850H
    now running cpu undervolt -139.6mV, turbo capped at x41, ICCMax rather hight at 128 . cache undervolt -127.9mV. iGPU -48.8mV. havent messes with the iGPU Unslice. TPL clamped at 65/80. nothing else changed. Haven't ventured any further yet.

Vasudev and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  6. f3n1c3

f3n1c3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

I have an Aorus X7 DT V8-CL4D with an i7-88500H processor and GTX 1080. I'm still learning how to use this software, but so far my Performance profile is at -125mV for core and cache, no undervolting to the GPU, IccMax at 128, Speed Shift EPP at 32, I have clock modulation and set multiplier unchecked, BD ProcHot, SpeedStep, C1E are checked.

In FIVR, "Turbo Overclocking" says +4 ( I don't know what that means)
    Turbo Ratio Limits is confusing me; I know you can set the number (Ghz?) per core depending on how many are active, and for the performance profile I set all 6 at 43 (which is the turbo boost for this processor). However, where it says "overclock" in the window with "max" there is 47. I'm not sure what that means and whether I should be checking that box or leaving it blank.

Under Options, I have the alarm set up that if the temps are 10 degrees from the limit or the GPU reaches 80 degrees it automatically switches to a failsafe profile where the turbo boost is disabled, the Speed Shift goes to 128 and I set all cores to 40 with a -40mV for the GPU, again though, I'm confused with how the turbo ratio limits section works with that 47 Max and the overclock box checked or unchecked.

Also, with Intel XTU (before I removed it) there was a way to set the Turbo Boost Power Max (and Short) to unlimited vs the current 55/85 that I have set up as default. How does one do that in ThrottleStop? Is this a bad idea in general? What does Clamp mean? My Turbo Boost Power Max has the clamp box checked but the turbo boost short power max does not.

Under Speed Shift in TPL it originally had min set to 1 and max set to 43? I don't understand this though because I thought it was supposed to be 1 to 255? I changed it to to min 1 and max 255. Is that correct? Under Range is says 1..43. I'm confused by this.

I know its a lot, but any help would be appreciated. I tried reading up on as much as i could on the net but I've reached an impasse with my understanding. Thank you for your help.

7. Andy120nz

Reputations:
    @f3n1c3, thats what i'm working on too. i left epp at 128.

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That means your CPU supports limited overclocking. Whatever the default values are for the Turbo Ratio Limits, you can increase each of those numbers by +4. I believe the 43 multiplier is the default multiplier when a single core is active. If you check the Overclock box, that should allow you to adjust this up to 47. If you do not check the Overclock box, the maximum multiplier will be limited to 43. Multiply your multiplier by the BCLK speed which is approximately 100 MHz and you get you maximum speed (47 x 100 MHz = 4700 MHz). Make sense?

The Base Frequency for the 8850H is 2600 MHz. When you select the Disable Turbo feature, the multiplier will drop to a maximum of 26 and you will be left running at a maximum of 2600 MHz. Kind of harsh. Instead of using Disable Turbo, it might be better to setup a second profile with lower values for the Turbo Boost Limits. Maybe 30 or 32 whether 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 cores are active would be a better compromise.

In ThrottleStop you can adjust the Turbo Boost Power Max up to 1000 or 2000 Watts. That may not be the same as XTU Unlimited but it is more than high enough to avoid any turbo throttling.

In the TPL - Speed Shift section, the Min and Max refer to the multiplier. If you set a max value of 40, your CPU will only be able to use a 40 multiplier, max. Your default max multiplier is 43. That is the number that is in the Range box. Set the Speed Shift Max to 255 if you do not want it to interfere with your maximum multiplier. Some people like to increase the Speed Shift Min value. I believe the lowest multiplier for your CPU is 8 but if you would prefer that it never goes below 16, set 16 for the Speed Shift Min value. A setting of 1 just tells the CPU to use the lowest value that the CPU supports. There is no 1 multiplier available.

The Speed Shift EPP value on the main screen stands for Energy Performance Preference. A setting of 0 asks the CPU for maximum performance. 80 is my fav compromise, 128 is typical Windows default and an EPP setting of 255 would result in a really slow CPU.

I appreciate a wall of text but a few pics would probably tell me a few things that you forgot to mention. Don't be afraid. Imgur is wonderful. It is easy and fun to copy and paste images to imgur. Highlight a TS window, hold down the ALT + PRINT_SCREEN buttons, go to imgur and do a CTRL + V to paste and upload an image. Post a link here and make me happy.

FrozenLord, Maleko48, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  9. f3n1c3

f3n1c3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for the reply, your patience, and your knowledge; I will definitely include a link to screenshots this time.

A couple of follow up questions if you don't mind:

I'm sorry, I still don't fully understand the function of checking the overclock box itself because I can change the individual core values (for all or one) up to 47 without the overclock box checked. If I don't check the box and change the values to 47 does that mean they won't take effect? If I do happen to keep all the values at 43 for all cores and don't check the overclock box then will all cores still reach 43? I forget if by default all cores reach 4.3GHz in turbo boost without overclocking or just one.

Is there a specific sequence by which cores values should be implemented? (43,42,42,41,41,40) or (43,42,41,40,39,38) etc. is one way of dividing up core values and their range better than others?

Do you not recommend setting the Turbo Boost Power Max (and Short) to "unlimited" (say 1000 Watts) while plugged in for Performance profile?

Do you not recommend setting the Speed Shift EPP to 32 then just for the Performance profile? (I was thinking in terms of 32, 64, 128 etc.) Should I keep BD PROCHOT checked

Does the way I set up the Alarm in options make sense? I changed my Failsafe profile which is selected if the alarm triggers to (40, 38, 38, 36, 36, 34) - bad move?

Thank you again for all your help!

Here is the link to the screenshots for the Performance profile.
    https://imgur.com/a/uISyCx0

Also this one for the battery profile
    https://imgur.com/a/U5O9imq

**For Failsafe and Battery I undervolted the GPU by 40 and 49.8 respectively
    **For all profiles, the IccMax for CPU Core and CPU Cache are 128 and 11 respectively, Intel GPU is at 32. Does that seem correct? (I don't know what this one means/is either)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  10. Andy120nz

Reputations:
    This where i got to after half a day going thru progressively and with the info above.

*** got 4968 on pcmark10

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018