The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Andy120nz

Andy120nz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone point me at the TPL setting guide in here? I have a i7-8850h thats hitting power throttle. its undervolted currently and limited to 4ghz. I have v8.70 TS

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    That is possible but I think you are being too kind. When pressed hard, some reps will say some crazy things.

@kurtzyload - When using Limit Reasons, you can click on the headings to clear the previous throttling reasons. It is a good idea to do this before you do any testing. That way you are starting with, or should be starting with, a clean sheet of paper so to speak. Depending on the device, some of these limits will go back to yellow immediately after you try to clear them.

Does Apple think that it is normal for a CPU rated to run at up to 4.00 GHz to be limping along at only 1.00 GHz? Your video tells a sad tale. It will be interesting to see what they say about this. How did Apple become a trillion dollar company by producing products like this? Bizarre.

Does the add limit reasons to the log file option work correctly now too?

When running Windows, can you use ThrottleStop to overclock your CPU? The 4980HQ shows that it supports +6 bins of turbo overclocking. Max multis should be 46, 45, 42, 42. Not sure if the 46 and 45 would be stable but it would be fun to try. In the FIVR window, check the Overclock box, crank up the Turbo Ratio Limits, run a single thread TS Bench test and snap a screenshot while loaded. I like seeing big MHz numbers. :D

ThrottleStop is very flexible. When a new version comes out, I just copy the new ThrottleStop.exe over top of the old version. If the new version has some new features, it will automatically save any new options in the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file. You can also downgrade without any worries. If you do not like a newer version, you can copy an older ThrottleStop.exe into your ThrottleStop folder. Any new INI options that were created by the new version will simply be ignored by the older ThrottleStop version. I try to avoid any conflicts to keep life simple for users.

I do not think there is one. Would you like to write one for me? Not enough users are stopping here to post examples of how they have ThrottleStop setup. The Core i7-8750H is a very popular processor but you would never know it in this thread. I have spent hours and days specifically creating new ThrottleStop features to help these 6 core CPUs but without feedback, I have no idea what works and what does not. A trick that works to make one of these run faster in one manufacturer's laptop might not do anything in a different laptop.

The 8850H is a fast CPU but when pressed hard, it might be forever limited to 45 Watts. By design, it is going to naturally want to throttle to stay under its 45 Watt power limit. There might not be any solution for this. Have you tried checking off and using the new FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits option? After you do that, does increasing the turbo Boost Power Limits in the TPL window help any?

Throw me a bone. Post some pics and run some ThrottleStop Log Files so I can have a look at what your problem is. It is impossible for me to make any recommendations when I do not own the hardware and I do not have any idea how you have ThrottleStop setup or what you are trying to accomplish with it.

raz8020, FrozenLord, cktducky and 3 others like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @unclewebb , there is a solution for the 8850H. (And the 8750H). This has been successfully tested on MSI laptops. (This has also been tested with the 7700HQ on some systems, e.g. GT73EVR HM175 version). Changing the IMON SLOPE to under 100 (which is 1.0x) will make the processor report it is using less power than it really is. Combine a value like IMON SLOPE =50 (50%), with a negative (-) IMON OFFSET and you can make a processor running at 45W report it's using 15 watts.

You would just need the registers to change for these values. It might not be as standardized as ICCMAX however.

raz8020 and Maleko48 like this.
  4. UNFORSWEATABLE

UNFORSWEATABLE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why I can't change the Turbo Boost short and long power? I already tried to reboot the laptop but no change, its fixed to 25/44

[​IMG]

Maleko48 and Vasudev like this.
  5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @unclewebb for all that you do for us and give to us, writing up some helpful documentation to complement your earlier work is the least we could do. I can't promise anything, but I hope to get to work on it in the near future to share with everyone here. Unfortunately I am on a 7700HQ on a locked down Dell so I can only contribute so much in that regard. Step 1 however, means learning everything inside and out the best that I can and taking notes so I can keep all the details straight... I don't know how you do it! (I guess my memory is terrible.)

Che0063 likes this.
  6. kurtzyload

kurtzyload Newbie

Reputations:
    Will definitely let you all know how this progresses with Apple. It is completely insane. @Vasudev - sorry, yes - nvme. Temp stays in the low 40C range.

It doesn't appear that they are going to the log file, assuming I'm reading it right...I just toasted everything with prime95, limit reasons immediately lit up "thermal" but an associated log entry is:

2018-09-21 05:38:50 39.48 1.4 100.0 100.0 51942 66 65 1.1129 7.3

And, your wish is my command! Here's how I set FIVR and the outcome (please let me know if I misconfigured something): https://imgur.com/a/Xh54K08

*edit* - I take it back! I cleared the log, un-checked and re-checked the limit options, and it is working now:

2018-09-21 06:24:00 36.18 51.9 100.0 100.0 51974 100 59 0.9852 43.6 TEMP
    2018-09-21 06:24:01 32.77 99.9 100.0 100.0 51974 98 60 0.9215 72.6 TEMP
    2018-09-21 06:24:02 31.77 99.9 100.0 100.0 51974 99 60 0.8921 68.1 TEMP
    2018-09-21 06:24:03 31.31 99.9 100.0 100.0 51974 99 60 0.9215 64.0 TEMP
    2018-09-21 06:24:04 30.96 99.9 100.0 100.0 51974 100 64 0.8921 63.7 TEMP
    2018-09-21 06:24:05 30.58 99.9 100.0 100.0 51974 99 64 0.8627 61.8 TEMP
    2018-09-21 06:24:06 30.32 99.9 100.0 100.0 51974 99 64 0.8627 60.8 TEMP
    2018-09-21 06:24:07 30.22 99.9 100.0 100.0 51974 99 66 0.8627 60.2 TEMP

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. kurtzyload

kurtzyload Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, so with this "fresh" log running along with limit reasons, I fired up Skyrim and let it rip for a while. You can see my brief prime95 run where TEMP fires, and you can see my Skyrim launch around 6:29. For a while, it's running perfect @ 60fps, and then you can see the throttling start to happen @ 6:31:49. But, check out the bat_mw column...it hits 0 right when throttling occurs, and never recovers and the performance goes into the floor. Note that in this log, Skyrim is running the entire time - I closed TS before I closed Skyrim. Interesting??? Apple firmware doing something crazy related to the battery?

https://file.io/IIvPrV

Vasudev and Maleko48 like this.
  8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Sounds dangerous. I love it! :D
    If I ever figure out how to do this, I will definitely add this to ThrottleStop.

Have you done any testing of this or are you just going by what HWiNFO is showing you? There are multiple power limits and depending on when you start up HWiNFO, it might not detect what the lowest limit is set to. For a test, how about exit HWiNFO, set both power limits in ThrottleStop to 15 Watts and then run something simple like the TS Bench and see what TS reports for power consumption. If the TS Bench is not a big enough load, try running Prime95. Open up Limit Reasons to see if anything lights up in red. If TS is working correctly, you should see throttling to the 15 Watt level.

@Maleko48 - The problem I have with writing documentation is I do not have access to a wide variety of hardware. That gives me no way to test or properly document many of its features. That makes it difficult to write a coherent document that explains them all. My thoughts have always been, if you are the kind of guy that needs documentation, you probably shouldn't be using ThrottleStop. It is more for people that know how to use Google and can figure out how to search a forum or two. Being able to quickly read a few hundred pages of forum posts is also a good skill to have. The docs might improve someday but probably not. Hanging out in the forums is more fun. It keeps me busy and makes me feel important. :)

Your overclock does not appear to be working. Overclocking might be blocked. When you raise the multiplier in the FIVR - Turbo Ratio Limits section, try going back out to the main screen, check the Set Multiplier option and increase that to 46.

The log file shows temps of 99°C and 100°C and it also shows TEMP in the log file which confirms that you are bouncing off the 100°C temperature limit. It sure looks like Limit Reasons in the Log File is working correctly. Your fast CPU cannot be fully utilized because it has been installed in a laptop with with inadequate cooling. Maybe let Apple know that it is kind of dishonest to charge extra for a performance oriented processor when it cannot be fully used.

I could not download or see your second log file. The good old 404 error. 0 in the bat_mW column means the battery is not being charged and it is not discharging. If you are plugged in and the battery is discharging while loaded, that is a bad sign. Some manufacturers are using this trick so they can ship their laptops with a small but inadequate power supply. Maybe try attaching that log file to your next post. You can also copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and then post a link so I can have a look.

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @unclewebb check your PM.
    I believe "IMON" is a register just like ICCMAX, and it should be addressable without it being bios specific. That is if ICCMAX is addressed in the same way.

BTW I managed to get C7 state half working.
    Look at this........

The cores are in C7 but the package is in C3.
    What is going on here?
    (and this only seems to work on battery power. On AC it stops at C3. Might be a processor % in ac plan i didn't change but I set everything to minimum on battery.....
    c3_c7.jpg

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @UNFORSWEATABLE - I did some testing and HWiNFO will read the Turbo Power Limits that are set by ThrottleStop but if you make any changes with ThrottleStop to these limits, you need to restart HWiNFO so it can read the change from the CPU. That part of HWiNFO is not being updated in real time.

A Core i5-7600 has a TDP of 65 Watts so typical turbo power limits are 65W for the long term limit and 80W for the short term limit.

[​IMG]

If I use ThrottleStop and switch both of these power limits to 30 Watts, HWiNFO will keep reporting the previous values until I restart HWiNFO.

[​IMG]

Is the 30 Watt limit actually being used by the CPU or maybe ThrottleStop is full of crap? To test for this, I start up the TS Bench and fully load the CPU with that.

[​IMG]

Looks like ThrottleStop is correct. It reports that the CPU is throttling and it is pulling exactly 30.0 Watts. I am using the TS Clamp option so the multiplier has sagged down below the default multiplier to keep at or below the 30 Watt limit.

cktducky, raz8020, c69k and 3 others like this.