The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. UNFORSWEATABLE

UNFORSWEATABLE Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If i upgrade to a new version of ThrottleStop, i just need to copy the ThrottleStop.ini from the old to the new version?

GreatD likes this.
  2. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes that would be correct. Just copy and paste

UNFORSWEATABLE likes this.
  3. erikjoya

erikjoya Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi unclewebb,

Already followed the task scheduler guide to the T. I think the problem for me was there's a grayed out checkbox in the condition tab.
    Hope it works.

Thank you!

4. cktducky

cktducky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, me too. Waiting for this one. :)

5. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    upload_2018-9-18_11-27-32.png

You must first temporarily select the necessary "parent" checkbox to activate the greyed out "child" option you are trying to clear so you can then clear that "child" option. Don't forget to uncheck and deactivate the temporary "parent" selection afterwards to finalize everything.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    duttyend likes this.
  6. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how to unlock broadwell core m power limits?

I have a dell venue pro 7140 that I modded with a copper plate and heatpipe. It solved the thermal throttling issues so I replaced the core m 5y10 board (2.0 GHz boost) with a 5y71 board (2.6GHz boost) but there is a long term 6W power limit that prevents any meaningful gain in clock speed.

[​IMG]

I think the power throttling is from "power limit 1"

[​IMG]

Some searching pointed me to this post by Dufus in the anandtech forums
    https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-broadwell-thread.2394938/page-120#post-37678135
    and this post by unclewebb
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-563#post-10478523

...which showed that the PL1 and PL2 settings for broadwell (and other gens) are hidden in MCHBAR (Chipset?) registers at the address FED159A0 & FED159A4 (FED10000 being the MCHBAR region).

[​IMG]

For me these registers were set to
    PL1: 001B8030
    PL2: 00428078

In PL1 bits 16 and 15 were 1, meaning it is clamped and enabled. The "030" (bits 14 to 0) in hex is "48" in decimal, so divide by 8 to get the actual power limit (48/8 = 6) of 6W. The time (bits 21 to 17) is "01101" in binary, which is 13 in decimal. Using the formula in Dufus's post: the power limit time in seconds is 2 raised to the decimal number then divided by 1024, which gets 8s which AIDA64 reads correctly.

In PL2 bits 16 and 15 were 0 and 1, meaning not clamped but enabled. The "078" in hex is "120" in decimal, so divide by 8 to get power limit of 15W.

The bit 31 in offset 0xA4 (PL2, aka FED159A4) was set to 0 so both PL1 and PL2 are not locked via this bit. (Even though the AIDA64 screenshot above shows both as locked - I'm not sure where the lock is coming from).

So I tried setting FED159A0 (PL1) register to 001B8079 (changing the power limit from 6W to 15W), but unfortunately PL1 is still triggered at 6W and the throttling remains.

Next I looked at this post by unclewebb
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-304#post-10006245
    which describes some sort of other power limit in the processor MSR 0x610.

Not sure if that power limit applies to broadwell but the report I pulled from CPUz shows it is set to something.
    Code:
       MSR 0x00000606       0x00000000   0x000A0E03
       MSR 0x00000601       0x40101414   0x80000090
       MSR 0x00000610       0x80428078   0x001B8030
       MSR 0x00000611       0x00000000   0x05721F0C
       MSR 0x00000639       0x00000000   0x02A43FA8

Apparently the 8 in front means the power limit is locked via this register?

At this point I have no idea what to do LOL
    This is what throttlestop shows in TPL, the package power limits is all greyed out. (I assume this is probably what the 0x00000610 MSR is controlling and is causing the throttling?)
    [​IMG]

If I exit throttlestop and open intel XTU these are the power limit options I see, all sliders are already maxed out.
    [​IMG]

At this point I am stuck and searching for other options. Would be appreciated if anyone has any other ideas. This is some next level stuff

duttyend, FrozenLord and Maleko48 like this.
  7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I guess your idea about following the guide to a T is a little different than my idea of following the guide to a T. You must have missed this paragraph in the guide! :D

Maybe I have to update the guide and make this paragraph jump out at you in neon yellow. Good idea @Maleko48

Code:
    MSR 0x00000610       0x80428078   0x001B8030
    @margroloc - Looks like you figured out the source of your problem. The power limit that is holding you back is the one in MSR 0x610 and yes that initial 8 signifies bit[63] is set. That is the Lock bit and it is absolutely, positively, 100% set. HWiNFO shows this information and ThrottleStop also shows that this register is Locked to 6 Watts. There is no possible way to unlock this register once you have booted up into Windows. You need a modified bios to remove the lock bit.

There are no other options. Modified bios or you will forever be stuck at 6 Watts. :(

Updated purple version is on the way. I might have to quit my day job so I can get more work done on TS.

Prema, D2 Ultima, duttyend and 6 others like this.
  8. margroloc

margroloc Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    rest in pieces. in the meantime I dumped the bios and extracted the IFR data using this guide.
    I found the variables for package power limit lock, platform power limit lock, configurable TDP, etc... and disabled them in nvram after booting from a GRUB usb stick. The changes persist across reboots.

In the end this unlocked some more settings in the throttlestop TPL. AIDA64 reads raised the power limits, as does hwinfo. I messed with the TPL settings and the FED159A0/A4 PL1/PL2 registers some more.
    [​IMG]

Intel XTU also shows all these settings now.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately nothing changed, chip still throttles at 6W after a few seconds.
    This was before your post so it makes sense now. I attached the uefi A09 dump in case someone else with a 7140 comes across this post and wants to mess with it. I will look into bios modding. No idea what i'm doing LOL.

Edit: Looks like the MSR_PKG_POWER_LIMIT 0x610 is designed specifically to stop user modification
    https://i.postimg.cc/SxZN8P16/screenshot_13.png from ftp://ftp.axxiv.ch/FTP/AXXIV/WORKSTATION/DRIVERS/SVELT/SP67A/W7/Intel/XTU6/XTU%206.0%20BIOS%20Interface%20Specification.pdf
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-29#post-7159788

This is as far as I got https://i.postimg.cc/wv7j2Yb5/screenshot_14.png
    don't see any option to toggle MSR 0x610. There is some weird stuff in the bios but I'm totally lost on how to read or configure it.
    https://i.postimg.cc/XYJmpNZg/screenshot_15.png https://i.postimg.cc/cLS7bFWt/screenshot_16.png
    GG dell

Attached Files:

duttyend, FrozenLord and Maleko48 like this.
  9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @margroloc - Congratulations on your perseverance. You have taken care of 2 of the power limits but guess what? There is a third turbo power limit controlled by PECI. I am not sure how to manipulate that one. There is a nice looking Intel PECI tool for this task but that is not available to the general public. You might have hit the wall but keep trying. There are a lot of people that would like to see you solve this problem. No one from Intel of course.
    That is only true if a manufacturer sets the Lock bit. You found a way around that obstacle.

10. kurtzyload

kurtzyload Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings,

Long time lurker, but I've now signed up to this forum to dive into this insanely interesting thread! So, I recently purchased a used 2015 15" MacBook Pro with a 4980HQ that has some pretty nasty throttling issues that don't appear to be thermal-related (or at least, not from a "prochot" point of view). The throttling only occurs when the dgpu (Radeon M370X) is in use, so naturally, this makes gaming terrible.

Similar to your Y510P, setting NTR to 1 and locking it is the *only* thing that prevents throttling, and I am thrilled because I was a bit dismayed and thinking I was going to have to turn around and re-sell this puppy. Now I know it can be the beast it was meant to be. But I still have more work to do. I'd still like to figure out *why* this throttling is happening. Unfortunately, the "limits" option is grayed out, and sending limit reasons to the log doesn't actually do so. Is this because Apple's firmware blocks that information somehow? I actually have a case open with Apple that is escalated to their engineering tier, but it's clear that the more details I can provide, the better. I'm still getting responses back stating that I'm throttling because my disk is 70% full. :rolleyes: I refuse to let them close the case on me until we can come to a resolution. Just check out their recent 2018 i9 fix...it almost seems like they purposefully limit their hardware via software, but they're getting called out now! https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/24/throttling-fix-2018-macbook-pro-improvements/.

That brings me to my question: what does this setting actually do? I'm game to dive into any details. Thanks for creating such a useful utility!

duttyend and Maleko48 like this.