The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ajnauron

ajnauron Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From that definition yes, the ideal case would be to run the highest clockspeed possible and stay at 99C all the time, but there's no way to do that, so setting a target maximum temp would be reasonable, like how AMD set their R9 290 to maintain a target temp of the highest clockspeed that can be maintained at 95C. The problem is that the "highest clockspeed that can be maintained at 95C" is a variable clockspeed, based on ambient temps, rather than an absolute value. We would need to be able to set a temperature target, that's what would be great to have, in an ideal world.

From my perspective, thermal throttling would be clocking the CPU down by large amounts even when reaching lower temps, like 75C, rather than temps like 90 or 95C where you're basically close to maxing out what the processor can do performance wise.

The default BIOS for the 3830 throttles to 1.2GHz at 85C IIRC, the modded BIOS I run doesn't do that, mine just goes as high as I let it and will just shutdown when it reaches Tjunction at 100C.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  2. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, when the various Pascal GPUs I've had are on the limit of thermal throttle (usually shortly after receiving the unit and shortly before taking it apart to improve the cooling), clocks are extremely unstable, varying by 30 to 40% from second to second.

I also find even near the maximum of cpu overclocks, overall higher performance is attained from a slightly lower multiplier and voltage rather than an absolute maximum where it bounces off a limiter of some sort, thermal, current, etc.

3. Swiftz

Swiftz Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry if this has been asked before, I have undervolted -100mV on CPU core and cache voltage on Windows 10 and was wondering will doing Windows update affect Throttlestop or the undervolt?

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  4. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Read this post carefully :) and you will have what you need ;)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-37#post-7231834

It will simply delay switching to profile to whatever time you want it to delay :)

5. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not at all.. :) but be sure your undervolt is stable so that it won't crash while on the middle of update :D

GreatD likes this.
  6. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey unclewebb and community of Throttlestop. Would PL2 flag on the CPU every 3 or 4 days during startup and on idle be a hardware related fault or is it normal for some M.B to do so even when the CPU is cool and and not stressed while gaming for example. Thanks and apologize in advance if I repeated myself but I dont have a clear answer. I'm hoping the new version of TS will eliminate PL2 throttling on startup and idle. Thanks all, I would appreciate any assistance possible. Btw fantastic work unclewebb, I love your app. Thanks for all your hard work and time :)

7. magnetoeric

magnetoeric Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for explaining :) One more thing i observed is that when laptop is running on battery, speed shift value isn't applying. No matter what value i select in throttlestop, it shows as 127 in fivr table. This happens on balanced power plan. If i change power plan to high performance, then speed shift becomes 0. It works fine when plugged in though. Can you please explain why it happens? Thank you and can't wait for the new update.

EDIT: Somehow my power plan is always set to high performance by default on laptop startup and it obeys throttlestop's speedshift value. As soon as i change it to balanced plan, the value changes to 127. Moving the battery slider after clicking battery icon on taskbar changes the value simultaneously (0 on best performance and 85 for better performance) I'm on latest windows 10 1803 btw.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop does not start until after Windows starts up so it will not be able to help you with that problem. Maybe the new features will help when idle but is zero throttling when idle important? Throttling when trying to use my computer is what annoys me.

Your testing confirms that on laptops, the latest Windows 10 versions are using Speed Shift technology. I could probably write some inefficient code that hammers away at the register that controls Speed Shift and if TS writes to that register faster than Windows does, maybe ThrottleStop can regain control. It would be a lot easier if you just use the Windows High Performance plan.

@ajnauron - The best thing you can do is improve your CPU cooling. You might also want to try lowering the CPU multiplier or lower your turbo power limits so they are better balanced with the amount of cooling you have available. ThrottleStop sampling your CPU temperature and speed every second and trying to balance those two variables is not a great solution.

duttyend, magnetoeric and Vasudev like this.
  9. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even if im navigating though Windows Explorer it flags PL2 in red under limit reasons and Youtube in chrome? It sometimes does it though, would it be classified as hardware fault on the M.B if it doesn't do it all the time?

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    It is unlikely to be a hardware fault. Likely the guy that wrote the bios forgot to setup one of the power limit registers properly. It will be interesting to see if TS 8.70 can fix this problem for you.

duttyend, Vasudev and GreatD like this.