The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    On a stock CPU, all 3 of those settings are zero. Either your bios set those or Intel XTU did. I would have a look in the Task Manager and make sure that there are no Intel XTU remnants still running in the background. Do a full shutdown, not a hybrid shutdown. Before running ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI config file. When ThrottleStop starts, it will create a new config file and for default values, it will use whatever your CPU is set to. A positive offset for core and cache is not a good sign. Not sure why a bios would use settings like that. Intel CPUs never need more than default voltage. They always need less. That is why under volting is popular.

Vasudev, PredatoR_TR and Papusan like this.
  2. PredatoR_TR

PredatoR_TR Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi,

Thank you for the answer.

I set ''standard'' instead of ''extreme'' at ROG Gaming Center and uninstalled it. Then I installed XTU and interestingly first thing I saw there was +20 CPU voltage offset. I didn't know about Analog I/O. Anyway, I made ''default'' settings with XTU and unistalled it. I was very surprised with +125 Analog I/O. Can I check somehow original figures from BIOS If I somehow changed it?

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    With almost locked down bios, Nope. I would uninstall the Asus software and clear NVRAM. Maybe put bios default first. And start clean. Then fire up TS and see what default settings will be showed.

raz8020, Vasudev and PredatoR_TR like this.
  4. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    What do you mean with Asus Software? Rog Gaming Center? It is already uninstalled in the beginning. If I format my laptop, I think I will get original figures, right?

One thing to mention, only thing I did at BIOS is updating it.

If I will see these +20 cpu offset voltage, and analog i/o +125, should I worry? Do you think that it will cause problem for me?

FYI, currently my laptop works -105mv cpu offset voltage and analog i/o is set as 0.

5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, I expect Rog Gaming center also contain Asus own overclocking tool(settings for Cpu). Or have Asus other tool for this?

The reason I said clear NVRAM/ put default in bios... Could be that XTU has screwed up bios settings.

Default bios settings should show exactly “default Cpu voltage” settings or Asus engineers have done something nasty in their firmware. I don’t know, I don’t have this laptop.

raz8020 likes this.
  6. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    So cleaning NVRAM will put BIOS default. Sorry, it is not easy to understand for me always. :) I would say only Asus software can screw things up.

7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Bad settings can be stored in NVRAM. Put bios to default doesn’t always help. Google how to do it for your particular notebook. Try put default settings in bios and see how it goes first. Then run ThrottleStop again(delete TS ini file first in TS folder for starting on scratch). Do this before you fiddle with bios settings. Then read what Cpu settings TS will show once you start it.

Edit.
    I post from my phone so maybe @Falkentyne or other can explain better if you still don’t understand.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:18 PM
    raz8020 likes this.
  8. noequal_1

noequal_1 Newbie

Reputations:
    ok, i'm relatively new to the whole Throttlestop schtick, but, undervolting seems pretty self-explanatory and getting lower temps on my laptop sounds excellent. so, after i undervolt and make sure the computer it stable, i hit ok and everything seems fine. it seemed to work perfectly, but... my question is, after i end up restarting my pc and don't have Throttlestop starting automatically, how can i tell if the undervolting is still being applied? i have Turn On in the bottom left of the main window selected, so, I'd hazard a guess that its working, correct? i'm just unsure. i just wanna make sure this is still working.

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Really hard to answer questions when you do not post any pictures of how you have ThrottleStop setup. I don't even know what CPU model you have.
    Simple. If you do not start ThrottleStop, your under volt will not be applied. Use a monitoring tool like HWiNFO or CPUID HWMonitor to monitor your voltages. When ThrottleStop is running, open up the FIVR window and it will show you what your voltages are set to in the monitoring table at the top right.

If you want to use ThrottleStop and you always want your voltages to be applied, you will need to add ThrottleStop to your Windows start up sequence. Go to the second post in this long thread for a guide to add ThrottleStop to your Windows start up using the Task Scheduler.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

The Turn On button only applies to the Clock Modulation and Set Multiplier settings. Both of these settings are rarely needed on new CPUs so for many users, that button is obsolete. Voltages will be applied regardless of the state of this button. Monitoring your voltages will show this.

raz8020, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  10. PredatoR_TR

Reputations:
    I have been chatting with @sniffin who has the same laptop and he has also +20mv offset voltage and analog +125mv as stock values. It seems that it is standard for our Asus G703VI.

raz8020 and Papusan like this.