The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    There are several counters in the Intel Core i CPUs that count upward the moment a core or the CPU package enters a C state. These counters count upward at the same rate as the default CPU speed. The Core i5-8250U in your sig has a default speed of 1.60 GHz so these C state counters will also count up at that rate. Pretty easy to convert this data into a percentage of time that the core or package has been in that C state and this data is extremely accurate as well.
    Code:
    Package  C8 - MSR 0x630
    Package  C9 - MSR 0x631
    Package C10 - MSR 0x632
    You could try running RWEverything to have a look at these registers. If your CPU is idle, you should see the MSR for package C8 counting up very rapidly. For C9 and C10, it is likely that these MSRs will contain zero. If that is the case, that would mean that your CPU has not spent any time in these two states since you booted up.

The public documentation is not clear if these MSRs still apply to the newer CPUs. Based on your screenshot, it sure looks like Intel is still using the same MSRs and these MSRs have the same meaning that they used to have. Intel tries to be consistent. They do not tend to move things around to different MSR locations unless they have to. They put some effort in so as to avoid breaking working programs. The MSRs for the other C states have been the same since the original 1st Gen Core i was released in 2008.

Here is a picture that I believe is from a dual core 7th Gen 7500U. Lots of C state residency time. Nothing unusual but no C9 or C10. Those 2 are like BigFoot. Rarely seen in the wild.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  2. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wait what?
    upload_2018-7-14_10-41-28.png

duttyend likes this.
  3. unclewebb

Reputations:
    In RWEverything, click on the User button (second button from the top left) to enter in the MSR number that I talked about. Your screenshot shows "too much information". My brain is going to hurt.

Here are some random MSRs on my User List.

[​IMG]

duttyend, raz8020, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  4. Docktor

Docktor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb here are my observations after some testing : booting from shutdown c8 state works , if i wake the system from sleep c3 is the highest c state . I have never seen c9 or c10 active c8 is the highest/deepest it goes for me which is still pretty good considering the pkg power goes as low as 0.9 w rarely 0.8 w. i am unable to upload the power txt file here . https://pastebin.com/p0F35ySB power.txt
    image after clean boot.
    Capture2.JPG

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    duttyend likes this.
  5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Docktor - Interesting that Package C8 stops working after resuming from Sleep. I had a hunch that it might be related to this. I will let you know if I see anything unusual in your powercfg report.

You could try confirming this problem by using HWiNFO. You could also ask your laptop manufacturer about this problem but usually the person you contact will not have a clue as to what you are talking about. They will probably brush your complaint off and tell you that they do not support 3rd party monitoring tools. Trying to get to the bottom of a problem like this could be very difficult. Sad that Intel creates power saving technologies that are not being used properly by manufacturers.

duttyend, hmscott, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  6. Docktor

Reputations:
    @unclewebb yes this is a weird interesting problem. HWiNFO tells the same story so its confirmed resuming from sleep c8 , c7 stop working.
    i dont think the laptop manufacturer has anything to with this issue because c8 was working before , i noticed this issue after i used the unlocking method for advanced power options posted by vasudev . So this problem might be because of that, is there anyway to undo that without reset or clean install of windows?
    i checked the c states because there were options for core parking in the unlocked options to see how they affect them. i did reset the options to default when i noticed this problem.
    hopefully you can find a solution to this .

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  7. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    upload_2018-7-16_12-57-46.png

duttyend likes this.
  8. Docktor

Reputations:
    they are on default settings i was asking about undoing the unlock of advanced power options.

9. maffle

maffle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the following issue, that TS is force closed (by Windows mostly) with a high chance if I remove AC and go on battery. I have set up to start TS via the Windows task planer. I cant see anything wrong there, everything which could indicate to force close it if not on AC is not selected.

The trigger is on user login, high privileges, conditions everything is deactivated (no just run on AC or anything).

Anyone else have this issue or knows how to solve it?

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have the same issue couple of times. I tried disabling Power throttling on TS under battery saver and allowed TS to run in background. That decreased the occurrence of force closing TS. But it happens intermittently whilst switching from battery to plugged in state or vice-versa.

maffle likes this.