The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. GTMoraes

GTMoraes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Using the back cover as part of the heatsink is pretty ingenious. However my laptop's bottom lid is plastic.
    Also, the temperatures are pretty alright in my usage scenario, and I've never seen the VR thermal limit before. I don't think I need to tinker much with it.

I'll have a look on my friends laptop today, and will report back

duttyend likes this.
  2. Docktor

Docktor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Vasudev i tried this https://gist.github.com/Nt-gm79sp/1f8ea2c2869b988e88b4fbc183731693 which you have posted for unhiding the advanced power options , it did unlock a lot of option but i noticed that my cpu i5-7300hq is no longer entering c7 ,c8 states which it used .
    also this lead to the min pkg power to go from 0.8-1w to 2.2+ w . do i have to change some things inside the power options to fix this or is there any way to revert this ?

duttyend likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Normally C states are unaffected since you have an HQ chip which is locked.
    Is hibernate turned off? you can use powercfg -h off to turn hibernate off and reboot the PC. See if it helps or not.

duttyend likes this.
  4. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ACHI set to lowest please.
    upload_2018-7-12_8-19-2.png

Or try the power saver option. And update your ACHI/SATA Controller + Chipset drivers + any SSD/Nvme drive controllers.

duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    OK thanks.
    I use powerplan switcher to toggle between Balanced and Power saver based on Power source.

Che0063 likes this.
  6. Docktor

Docktor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [​IMG] @Che0063 @Vasudev OK so i waited before replying so that i can properly test to find out what is happening and i have no idea .
    the hibernate is off and the ACHI was already set to lowest because i unlocked those option thru the registry hack already.
    Here is what i observed when i restart the system , c8 & c7 states work for a while (couple of hours i think) and after that i don't know what is happening , c3 is the highest c state my cpu is going when it's idle. I recently updated my realtek audio driver to a latest non oem one, i thought that driver was the issue and reverted to the oem driver & the problem is not fixed .Hoping someone here can help me fix this . My laptop is HP Pavilion bc-200 , i5-7300hq.

how do i add images in the post ?? image of the c states https://imgur.com/a/zQLPSRM [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    duttyend likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Your PC can go to C10 deeper states for better power savings. I think some process is preventing that.

duttyend likes this.
  8. dasachmo

dasachmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi everyone.
    I just wanted to ask if theres a way in throttlestop to limit the max clock speed of one core?
    I have a 8750H and with a -100mv undervolt the temps are great but one core (core 2) always seems to run 10 degrees higher than the others.,
    Is there a way to do this or is it just down to a ****ty paste job from dell?

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    For the 8750H, all active cores are locked to the same multiplier. That means it is impossible to adjust the multiplier or voltage individually on a core by core basis.

The problem you have is not always a bad paste job. Intel uses temperature sensors that are only accurate to approximately +/-5°C. A little bit of variation from core to core is not unusual. It can be difficult to equally load the cores to come up with a fair temperature comparison across all cores. Less than perfect temperature sensors are just as likely as a poor paste job. Sometimes it is a bit of both.

If none of your CPU cores are reaching the thermal throttling temperature then there is nothing to worry about. If that one core is getting hot enough to cause throttling, it will slow down your CPU. At that point it would be a good idea to see if you can improve the paste job. Also have a look if the heatsink is square to the CPU. Some heatsinks are far from perfect. Mass produced laptops are full of flaws.

@Docktor - Completely shutdown your laptop, no hybrid shutdown, restart it, let Windows settle down and then see if any of your deeper C States start working. After that, try using stand by mode, resume and see if any of the deeper C States are working and do the same test by going into hibernate mode. Tracking this down can be very difficult after you have made a bunch of changes to your system. Very few laptops seem to be using package C9 or C10 but a few use package C8. Maybe someone with working package C8 can post all of their Windows power plan settings so you have something to compare to. Open up a command window and type in this:

powercfg -qh >C:\power.txt

-q is for query and h will show the hidden settings.
    > that will redirect the output to a file called power.txt on your C: drive

Edit - Also switch to battery power when doing C State testing. Sometimes you will only get the deeper C States when running on battery power. At least your core C States are working well. 99% in C7 is fantastic.

Put html img /img tags with [ ] brackets around the direct link that imgur gives you to show the pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    duttyend, Vasudev and raz8020 like this.
  10. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    upload_2018-7-14_8-28-1.png
    @unclewebb could you give me any light on how ThrottleStop reads the Package C State limit?
    @Vasudev my Package C State never goes down to C9.

duttyend and Vasudev like this.