The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Perry8912

Perry8912 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

Hi there,

I'm a big fan of your product, and have been using Throttlestop for several years. I recently brought a surface book 2 15" with 8650U processor. But under cpu stress test, the cpu stable at 2.4ghz on 4 cores, and no matter what I do, I can not let the tdp goes above 15W. The temp is about 65C, so there is a definitely power limit here.

How can I use Throttlestop to unlock the tdp limit? Maybe from 15w to 25w? I already set multipiler but nothing works.

So please let me know if you have any solutions on this.

Thank you
    Perry

2. GTMoraes

GTMoraes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In this particular case, you can increase your TDP limit with Intel XTU

3. Perry8912

Reputations:
    Yeah, that idea did cross my mind once. But I still haven't figured out how to automatically start XTU with windows startup.

So there is nothing we can do in Throttlestop? I love that software so much, and thought it can do everything......

4. GTMoraes

Reputations:
    For me, the TDP setting stuck without XTU auto-starting, as long as the service was still running.

The TDP would be reset if the system crashed, though. So if the system crashes for any reason, you'd need to reapply the TDP setting

raz8020 and Perry8912 like this.
  5. Perry8912

Reputations:
    Really? The system will remember the TDP setting even without start XTU? What about undervoltage settings?

6. GTMoraes

Reputations:
    Probably, but I only use XTU for the TDP tweak. Everything else I handle with TS

Vasudev, raz8020 and Perry8912 like this.
  7. Perry8912

Reputations:
    I always thought those TDP and Voltage settings I have to start the software to enable it. But maybe I was wrong. Will give it a try tonight.
    Thanks for your help.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @ThatOldGuy has written a guide to auto start XTU. You can get all XTU features in TS w/o impacting system performance.

raz8020 likes this.
  9. macaco000

macaco000 Newbie

Reputations:
    By default, is SpeedStep On or Off ?
    I have a Kaby Lake i7-7700hq, I'm pretty sure it was ON when I installed TS for the first time. Today I had to reinstall it ( deleted throttlestop.ini and restarted my laptop ) and SpeedStep was OFF when I launched TS.
    I've also noticed that my clocks remain at 3.7Ghz (which is the Max) most of the time even while browsing the internet.

10. GTMoraes

Reputations:
    Default on, but as the 7th gen has SST, SpeedStep doesn't matter because it has been superseded by SpeedShift