The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You should not run XTU and TS alongside. Make sure XTu service in services.msc is stopped or disabled when TS is running.
    Try running the script I linked to unhide power scheme settings for advanced users.
    WUMT wrapper is a must these days to disable WU.

duttyend, raz8020 and GTMoraes like this.
  2. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To save you sometime :)
    Untitled.jpg
    If you disabled it.. then Win10 will let TS have full control over SST-EPP :)

3. GTMoraes

GTMoraes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here are the logs I mentioned:

Normal profile: SST set to 128. CPU can use up to Multiplier 40 (Multiplier 37 hard limit for 4 cores)
    Game profile: SST set to 0. CPU can use up to Multiplier 30 (all cases)

All: PL1 is set to 28W after one minute unleashed.

Normal profile, TS Bench:
    https://hastebin.com/diwanolelu.css
    -----
    Normal Profile, RealBench:
    https://hastebin.com/pageqizoxo.css
    (I see some PL2 limits, which seems to be around 40W)
    -----
    Normal Profile, CS:GO
    https://hastebin.com/ixesufoloc.css
    (It throttles to 2.4~2.5GHz, no obvious reason)
    -----
    Game Profile, CS:GO
    https://hastebin.com/sorinexado.css
    (Solid Multiplier 30)

duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @GTMoraes - In the ThrottleStop TPL window, does it show any value for Power Limit 3? There seems to be some other limit interfering with maximum performance. HWiNFO shows more of the possible throttle limits compared to ThrottleStop. Perhaps HWiNFO knows something.

One thing to remember about HWiNFO is it clears the throttle data from the CPU as it is collecting data. That's why Limit Reasons does not work correctly if you are also using HWiNFO at the same time.

The log with the 30 multi is very consistent. That log also shows a lot more battery discharge activity. That must be a sign of an under powered power adapter. How many watts is it rated at? Are there any other power adapter options for your laptop?

If you could run the 37 multi full time, it might not improve game play any meaningful amount. I just like seeing the full multi, all the time.

duttyend likes this.
  5. turbo9000

turbo9000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for these, the settings are pretty much identical to what I have mine set to. I've manually downgraded the BIOS (including EC - by flashing to an old BIOS and then 'upgrading' to the same version with the official software, forcing an EC flash) to the earliest revision possible without hardware flashing (2.10) - previous revisions aren't signed/encrypted so I can't flash them with regular tools. This now has me at microcode 0x18 and.. PowerCut still doesn't work! It activates, locks the VCCIN, but continues to report power. I'm not sure why this is.. perhaps @unclewebb could shed some light on it? I've also renamed mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll in System32 to prevent Windows from updating the microcode in-flight so I'm fairly certain I'm at 0x18. My next step now is BIOS decryption and flashing, perhaps hardware flashing (I've already built the tools and successfully read out my flash before I began the downgrades), to remove the microcode entirely.

EDIT: Looked at the readmes for the two available previous BIOSes, they're T440s-only, T440 support was added in 2.10, so this is the earliest I can go. However, loading the flash with MC Extractor, 2.10 should have microcode 0x16.. yet 0x18 is present post-boot?! Perhaps Windows is updating it in-flight even without the DLL?

EDIT2: A hard-off and on later, I'm at 0x16 in Windows. @cktducky I noticed yours is 0x1C so this should no longer present an issue. I also noticed your VCCIN is 1.500; for me, PowerCut will not activate above exactly 1.7344V, but will happily activate below, including 1.500. However, wattage is still reported.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    You might be surprised! Some games will definitely not use max utilization percentages (especially when on a hyperthreaded CPU) but will use say... up to x%. Battlefield 4 was one of those games, where it'd use up to 50% of your CPU in windowed mode in the early game, and 70% of your CPU in fullscreen mode, on any i7 out there. You would look at it and figure "well it's not at a CPU bottleneck!" but you overclock the CPU and suddenly it performs better.

7. cktducky

cktducky Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That sounds great! BTW, the time used in LinX is lower than mine, it is about 41 seconds. Maybe the version is different, I am using v0.7.0 or the memory of you computer is faster than mine, my laptop is using DDR3 RAM only.

About the true cost of U CPU laptop, I also think that question before. I would think the U CPU is original designed for ultra thin notebook that it needs to be thin and light-weight as possible. Thus, the thermal solution also needs to be thin and light-weight as well but not how the efficiency of the thermal solution is. It is designed for doing the light work, such as office suite, or sometimes to do some heavy work for just a while. Thus, if the efficiency of the thermal solution is necessary to be taken into account, the weight will be heavier that it is not the original definition and purpose of the U CPU. :)

8. GTMoraes

Reputations:
    I thought about HWiNFO, but for some reason I haven't tried checking its limits. I had disabled limits monitoring on HWiNFO because you've said it interferes with TS. Maybe there's other limit indeed. I haven't seen it on HWiNFO, but I'll when I come back home

Edit: Here's the limit reasons on HWiNFO
    https://i.imgur.com/9Y7I3mn.png

the TPL window says the PL3 is locked and disabled, and is grayed out

AFAIK no. There are a couple of versions with different processors, but even the model without discrete GPU also uses the same charger, which is a 65W unit.
    Maybe it's underpowered indeed, as it wasn't supposed to run with the CPU beyond 15w anyway

Nah, I didn't want it to run with the multi at 37, because it wouldn't thermally handle 3.7ghz when gaming anyway. I just found curious that it would run at a much lower frequency (2.4GHz) when it could freely pick a frequency, but would run consistently at 3.0GHz when I've limited it to that. Doesn't make much sense to me

If I'm gaming and use a keybind to switch profiles, it drops to 2.4 when I set it to normal and jumps to 3.0 when I set it to Game. Too weird

If you see the logs, even when running an extremely stressing task, RealBench, which seemingly uses both Intel and nVidia GPU for OpenCL, it doesn't run at a frequency so low (around 2.7~2.8), and only because it hits the known 28W limit, not some ghost limit...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  9. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys :) is it possible to link the profiles to the macro keys (Alienware keyboard)to switch them on the fly?

10. GTMoraes

Reputations:
    Are the Macro keys actual keys, as in, the system does recognize it as a keypress, or do they only execute a certain command or keypress?

You can use keybinds to change profiles. You can use your macro keys for that, and if they aren't recognized, just pick some uncommon combination (e.g. ctrl alt numpad 7) then set it to one of your macro keys.

Vasudev likes this.