The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've don the Small FFT test. Power consumption jumps up to 52W bufore I panic and change the power limit to 40W. But otherwise, temperatures jump to 65C, rising up to 80C before I stop the test. Only PL1/2 lights up in limit reasons :D.

An i7-8550U reaching 80W is really alarming. Even my 8250U runs at most 52-53W with no undervolt. Seems like 4.0GHz requires an extremely high voltage. The 8250U and 8550U are identical processors anyway, just one processor requires a higher voltage. 8th Gen CPUs aren't anything special. If you compare with 6th gen i5-6200U and 7th gen 7200U, the 8th gen 8250U has double the cores, resulting in less double the performance at double the power when tested at the same clock speed. Because that's just Intel being desperate on 14nm+++++++++ and struggling on 10nm whilst AMD is set on 7nM by 2019.

But normal consumers don't know this.

That being said, it really don't think that laptop hardware is designed to run at 2x or even 3x the power it was designed for (Ahem manufacturers designing for 15W when 8th gen U cpus clearly require 30+W to perform well. Power Limits are scattered everywhere in the BIOS. ThrottleStop has access to one of them. RW-Everything and XTU have access to another one. Remember, if your laptop has a hidden power limit it is really difficult to mitigate this without knowing the datasheet for your BIOS. I tried to control my right fan but nothing would work, I could only control the left fan, so I ended up doing a hardware modification. (disconnecting the PWM lead of Fan 1 and connecting it to the PWM header of Fan 2).

EDIT: Hitting PROCHOT after 2 and a half minutes either means you let the TDP sky high or that's some terrible cooling. Probably the latter because ThrottleStop TS Bench only draws about 30W for me

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    pressing and Vasudev like this.
  2. GTMoraes

GTMoraes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It handled it pretty well, then. Mine lights up every alarm in under a sec then lights itself off after a while lol

I'm not sure if I saw 80W, it was too quick. But I kinda remember seeing 80W. Maybe it was 60W and my eyes deceived me?

4GHz needs around 35W. It seems doable, but obviously this cooling can't handle it for long. Good enough for a 10s burst, but can't run a stress test with it.

I'm skeptical with AMD. They're introducing great changes for the market, but they're still "new" at leading this game, and can't afford too much R&D. Intel coasted for too long on Sandy Bridge, and is now paying for it. Time for Intel to step up on R&D, which won't be difficult since they're absurdly rich. Like AMD plus 10

I love competition. For one, they made the U processors 4c/8t, and HQ processors 6c/12t.
    Looking forward to see my laptop become absurdly obsolete in the following years, honest

My previous Y50 had an interesting "feature" that it would NEVER put its fans on 100%. 99°C? Yeah, just run the fans at what, 50%?
    However, when updating the BIOS, the fans would be extremely loud, and you knew it could do something more than that puny original output.
    ppl found out that if you disconnected the PWM cable, the fan would run at 100%. And they found out that they could buy some small temperature-activated switches on Aliexpress. They glued the little temp switch on the heatsink pipes and voila, it would turn on at 100% for a couple of seconds on the chosen switch temperature. I did it on mine at 75°C and it was amazing. Instead of running at 90°C, it would run at, behold, 70°C.

Why Lenovo didn't do it originally baffles me.

Sometimes I think some brands are dumb
    Or we're not seeing the big picture.

Terrible cooling is a compliment.
    [​IMG]

Can't blame them, though. It was designed for 15w, and does the job at 15w greatly. There's just not much headroom. It hit PROCHOT at 32~33W, 3.7GHz.
    I found that 3.5GHz sits below 90°C on ThrottleStop 1024M test. It's good enough without changing the thermal paste.
    which I totally don't wanna do, because last time I changed the thermal paste on my previous Y50, the best I managed to get was 1°C higher than the stock thermal paste, after trying several new methods, previously unknown to me (I'm a mustard drop guy)
    And I used the Gelid GC Extreme.

BTW I'm still impressed with that XTU trick. Thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    pressing and Vasudev like this.
  3. Petrov

Petrov Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi folks. I want to use Throttlestop to limit my turbo multiplier and undervolt my cpu. I know how to set both of those in FIVR - but my question is: do I need to press the "Turn On" button on the throttlestop front page for those multiplier limits and the udnervolting to take effect, or do they take effect immediately on saving, even if I don't "Turn On"? Also, do I need to reload Throttlestop every time I restart for those same multiplier limit/undervolt to take effect?

Many thanks for your help!

4. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Turn on/off only affects Clock Modulation, Chipset Modulation, and Set Multiplier in the main interface.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Make a scheduled task for ThrottleStop. See post #2

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. Jieockv

Jieockv Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys, I have a problem with ThrottleStop, after I restored Windows 10 and followed this guide to start it on startup, now it no longer appears in the taskbar but remains only in the background, I followed the guide carefully but nothing more appears.
    Any suggestions to solve this problem?

7. bobothehobo

bobothehobo Newbie

Reputations:
    All of a sudden ThrottleStop showing that my CPU is working at 0 mhz. Haven't had any issues with it up until now.

[​IMG]

On a PowerSpec 1510.

Any thoughts about what might be causing this?

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Choose the option called "When I log in" instead of the option called "At startup".

Jieockv likes this.
  9. Jieockv

Jieockv Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the answer but even so it does not work out :(

EDIT: Finally I solved! in addition to the option you told me I also changed this "if you want access to the user interface, make sure," Run only when user is logged on "is checked" and it worked ...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Older win 10 builds didn't have this problem and newer builds sometimes breaks working SW.
    Also, select Configure for Windows 10.

Jieockv likes this.