The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the useful info guys!

2. marcin01

marcin01 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is without doubt one of the best pieces of software that can be found on internet :). I keep playing with ThrottleStop and get more impressed every time by how much control over the CPU one can get. I think I have everything set up, mostly undervolting to keep fans quiet, plus speedshift with different profiles triggered by gpu or cpu temp, and separate profile when on battery. So I would like to thank the developer for this amazing program.

I only have one problem so far. I checked the NVIDIA gpu to have the temp indication in tray. Indication is working but sometimes when it goes up it will lock on a certain value and will not go down although the load is gone and temps physically dropped, and fans go to idle. I need to restart throttlestop and it goes back to normal.

It's an Asus gl503 with a gtx1050 on win10.

Kind regards

bennyg and t456 like this.
  3. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Some nvidia drivers causes those symptoms it is no big deal at all .. but this happens with only certain nvidia drivers and you may need to update your nvidia driver it may resolve this.
    The temperature of the nvidia GPU gets like a freeze like effect after being inactive so.. for example.. if your nvidia GPU temperature was 45c before nividia GPU switch off due to no 3D rendering is active.. it will keep the latest record of temperature in a freeze state :) but once your nvidia GPU becomes active again it will monitor your temperature normally :)

In conclusion or at the end... it is not ThrottleStop fault ;)

4. marcin01

marcin01 Newbie

Reputations:
    @ THEBOSS619 Thank you for your reply.

What you say makes perfect sense, as this is observed when I exit a 3D application.
    GPU driver is the latest.
    So in theory forcing windows to only use the dedicated gpu should resolve this?

Kind reagrds

THEBOSS619 likes this.
  5. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes it will resolve this as long as the nvidia GPU doesn't shutoff even if there is no 3D activity :) but expect higher idle temperature and less battery time.

Also...you have an alternative way.. you can simply depend on HWInfo [https://hwinfo.com/download.php] for monitoring your temperature of GPU & CPU & others too on temp indication in tray ;)

marcin01 likes this.
  6. marcin01

marcin01 Newbie

Reputations:
    @ THEBOSS619 thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it. If I can set hwinfo to autostart and display cpu & gpu temps in tray, then I'm good.

Kind regards

THEBOSS619 likes this.
  7. teq9er

teq9er Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just started using Throttlestop after I got a new laptop, so I've been out of the loop and was wondering if someone could explain this to me... after playing a game I noticed that the PROCHOT 97C (https://imgur.com/6j4Mkof) was checked but the max recorded is 91C. Why is that?

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Several ways to implement throttling (Crippling). How Dell cripple performance explained by..... And This is only the tip of the iceberg. More will come.

Ashtrix, pressing and THEBOSS619 like this.
  9. Mindfull

Mindfull Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG] Hello Again - I attach a picture of my screen - can you tell me what the 0.9500 v readout means?

I have tried increasing the voltage and that stopped the BSODs but now I want to try undervolting.

Does this screen say Throttlestop has already done this for me?

10. teq9er

teq9er Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    LOL! How you know I got a Dell? :)

But yeah, so is that what the Limits button is for? I wasn't sure what it meant before but it makes sense if that's what it did...to show me why my XPS actually throttled because it may not be the processor even though PROCHOT was checked.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.