The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    The Asus desktop board has a bios option so you can disable CPU SVID Support. This allows a user to adjust the offset voltage sliders in TS without any change to actual voltage going to the CPU.

At default voltage with zero offset, the TS Bench is showing 43.0 Watts. VID voltage is between 1.2377 V and 1.2389 V.

[​IMG]

Now for some fun, I set both the CPU Core and CPU Cache to a negative offset of -1.000 V. Not -100 mV but I went all in at -1000 mV. :)

Intel CPUs do not measure power consumption. They use a magic formula to approximate power consumption and this formula is based on VID. When you trick the CPU into thinking the VID voltage is much less, the reported power consumption will also be much less.

[​IMG]

VID is now between 0.3175 V and 0.3292 V. With the exact same TS Bench load, reported power consumption is now only 13.5 Watts. CPU Core temperature is almost identical which means that the voltage going to the CPU is identical in both tests. If only I had an 8th Gen laptop with a U CPU. Maybe I could harness a trick like this to drop reported power consumption and get around premature power limit throttling.

Edit - The other thing I learned is that you can use TS to under volt the Intel GPU but you have to under volt both the Intel GPU and what TS is calling the System Agent.

On this 7th Gen CPU, you have to under volt the CPU Core and CPU Cache equally but as others have found out, you can under volt the CPU Cache more than the CPU Core. If you under volt the Cache way more than the Core, you will be rewarded with a BSOD so these two voltages do not seem like they are 100% linked.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. joluke

joluke Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any idea why TS doesn't read my CPU speed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Can you think of any software you are running on your computer that might be blocking TS from accessing your CPU? An antivirus program or a sandbox feature within an antivirus program might cause this problem. Is your CPU a retail CPU or an ES engineering sample? CPU-Z should show you this info.

FYI, Set Multiplier does not work when Speed Shift is enabled (SST in green). To limit the max multiplier try adjusting the Speed Shift Max setting in the TPL window.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    duttyend, Vasudev and joluke like this.
  4. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

If only I had the money to buy you an 8th gen U cpu laptop.... I would so you could research VID tricking. ;) lol

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Master Unclewebb!!!

You can already do this!
    Here!!! But very few Bioses that are not Premamods have this unlocked and accessible.

Set this to a value LOWER than 100 (100= x 1.0).

imonslope.jpg

duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  6. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    With what you've been showing with VID changes being an approximation, it might very well be possible that cache voltage is the number 1 limiting factor for VCORE and undervolting the cache too much simply breaks it, whereas VID simply shows whichever is the less aggressive undervolt... let's see...

I tried raising core instead of cache and then cache instead of core and with each raised (both 1.05v normally, raised one to 1.2v and left the other at 1.05v, then swapped the values) my temperatures raised as well, so it seems like it goes back to what I said before: intel CPUs aren't that smart.

It might be a little different on adaptive, however.

7. joluke

joluke Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Retail 6700k
    No idea what is causing but since the windows 10 spring update the value cannot be read.

Enviado do meu SM-N950F através do Tapatalk

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I usually disable GPU usage in task manager in Process section. Possibly W10 querying periodically causing dGPU wake-ups!

If you're using Sandboxie or Hyper V or any hypervisor w/ bare metal OS or even Containments can give you similar result.
    Firstly, you can try disabling hibernate and see if it works.

duttyend likes this.
  9. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    Can someone shed some light here? 8550u Here

Ok so let's give these scenarios.

1) CPU is under full turbo load. 30watts PL2 is lit and EDP Other is Lit (Ring). CPU is at 3.3ghz
    2) CPU is under 1 core full load. 10watts, PL1 is lit and EDP Other is Lit (Ring). CPU is at 3.8Ghz on 1 core
    3) CPU is under full Load base clock, 15 watts, PL1 is lit and EDP Other is Lit (Ring) CPU is at 2.4ghz.

Is there a limit reason that's associated with a certain CPU speed? Why is PL1 associated with a TDP of 10 when under 1 core load and full base case load at 15 watts? TDP Down and up must be it?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. ha1o2surfer

Reputations:
    Might have had a breakthrough on my PL1 limit.

Setting the highlight value from 40-90 increases PL2 and it stays on PL2 forever. 90 being somewhere around 18.5 watts 40 being 6ish watts. Setting this value to what others have set it too doesn't do anything for me. Only changing the last 2 bits do. Even setting it to E8 only shows thermal throttling then finally PL1 sets in. Interesting.

[​IMG]