The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I usually disable GPU usage in task manager in Process section. Possibly W10 querying periodically causing dGPU wake-ups!

If you're using Sandboxie or Hyper V or any hypervisor w/ bare metal OS or even Containments can give you similar result.
    Firstly, you can try disabling hibernate and see if it works.

duttyend likes this.
  2. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can someone shed some light here? 8550u Here

Ok so let's give these scenarios.

1) CPU is under full turbo load. 30watts PL2 is lit and EDP Other is Lit (Ring). CPU is at 3.3ghz
    2) CPU is under 1 core full load. 10watts, PL1 is lit and EDP Other is Lit (Ring). CPU is at 3.8Ghz on 1 core
    3) CPU is under full Load base clock, 15 watts, PL1 is lit and EDP Other is Lit (Ring) CPU is at 2.4ghz.

Is there a limit reason that's associated with a certain CPU speed? Why is PL1 associated with a TDP of 10 when under 1 core load and full base case load at 15 watts? TDP Down and up must be it?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  3. ha1o2surfer

ha1o2surfer Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Might have had a breakthrough on my PL1 limit.

Setting the highlight value from 40-90 increases PL2 and it stays on PL2 forever. 90 being somewhere around 18.5 watts 40 being 6ish watts. Setting this value to what others have set it too doesn't do anything for me. Only changing the last 2 bits do. Even setting it to E8 only shows thermal throttling then finally PL1 sets in. Interesting.

[​IMG]

4. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello, I have a MSI GE62 7RE with a 7700HQ. TS works fine, but the problem I find is that everytime I turn on the laptop from suspension, the undervolt resets and I have to open TS again. Any idea of why this happens?

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's normal. TS needs to be running, otherwise the CPU gets reset after waking from suspend. It's a very lightweight program and you can just leave it in the background all the time with no impact.

duttyend and unclewebb like this.
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Because the bios resets the CPU registers when it wakes up from suspend. Your Bios wasn't designed around Throttlestop. Load TS again and reapply the undervolt.

7. mario64

mario64 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is it still recommended to enable Speed Shift on the new i7 8750 CPU? Also, some guides recommend undervolting the GPU while others don’t. What is the consensus on that nowadays? Thanks

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    It is your laptop. You can set it up to run however you want it to run and ThrottleStop gives you access to a wide variety of tweaks to accomplish that.

Enable Speed Shift in the TPL window and give it a try. After that, play around with the EPP value on the main screen. If you like Speed Shift, leave it enabled. If you do not like it, reboot and do not enable it. No need to use something just because 51% of people like it.

Some laptops running Windows 10 will enable Speed Shift automatically. In this case, you do not have much of a choice. Microsoft has made that decision for you. Once enabled it cannot be disabled without rebooting and if Win 10 turns it on every time you reboot then you are stuck with having Speed Shift on whether you like it or not.

duttyend, 31336, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  9. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible that TS can keep the PL1 or PL2 flag on the i7 7700HQ processor when on idle?? I have continuous TDP throttle flag (dot) on TS and I'm under temp of 60 C degrees. Maybe I should do bios upgrade and reinstall Windows 10. Any ideas guys? :(

Screenshot_20180518-092130_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  10. Temp1234453

Temp1234453 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, I thought it was due to some TS or BIOS misconfiguration, since XTU sometimes used to keep the undervolt after waking up the laptop.
    BTW, If I get stable temperatures, should I increase Turbo Time Limit to the max?

And another question, what does or which effects do the "clamp" checkbox next to the wattage do?