The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. ishanp

ishanp Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah, guess my luck has run out. Ok, I will circumvent the problem by not sleeping. At least I have reassurance now. Thanks again!

unclewebb likes this.
  2. Shnxxx

Shnxxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb is there no way i can fix this? it only stays now on 1.8GHz unlike last few days before applying these it runs at 3.38 GHz.

Here's the image.

is there no other ways to unlock it's TDP?

Please tell what I can still do. :( all I want is to run my cpu at constant 3.38GHz when working and when in idle or light work, it will

EDIT:
    I tried to use Intel's XTU and it shows that my CPU can burst up to 44 TDP. My question is, why XTU detects that I can burst up to 44 TDP but it limits on 15? I don't understand, please enlighten me. Here's the image from XTU.
    EDIT 2:
    I have another question, does speedshift will help to help cpu to run at constant, at least, 3.38GHz?

What will happen if I increased non-turbo Ratio?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    What were you doing a few days ago? When was it running at 3.38 GHz. An 8250U has a TDP rating of only 15 Watts. Some people are lucky and they can use ThrottleStop or Intel XTU and increase this limit so the CPU can run well above 15 Watts. Other people are not so lucky. Your CPU is throttling and slowing down to prevent the CPU from going over 15 Watts.

Do not run XTU and ThrottleStop at the same time. Try uninstalling both programs and then when testing, only run ThrottleStop or only run Intel XTU. Uninstall XTU before running ThrottleStop. Try setting both power limits to 25 Watts. If long term you are still limited to 15 Watts, there might not be anything you can do without a modified bios. Some laptops are limited by the manufacturer.

Changing Speed Shift or the Non Turbo Ratio will not make any difference. Your CPU is throttling because of the 15 Watt power limit. Open up the Limit Reasons window and it should show you what is causing the throttling.

Intel CPUs have a long and a short term power limit. For a short period of time, your CPU might be able to use a 44 Watt TDP limit but after a while, the 15 Watt limit will take control of your CPU and slow it down so it does not exceed 15 Watts.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    pressing and duttyend like this.
  4. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Unclewebb, I'm wondering if it might be possible to make a small script which enables speedshift, without using other aspects of your program which seems to change turbo behavior on my kabylake-r laptop. Your option to enable speedshift in throttlestop, does that use the driver that you use for other features? How is it done?

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Speed Shift is well documented in the Intel publicly available docs, Volume 4. This is also known as HWP which I think stands for hardware P-States.

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/22/0d/335592-sdm-vol-4.pdf

Writing 1 to Model Specific Register 0x770 will enable Speed Shift. The problem is that the only way to access a MSR in a Windows OS friendly way is to use something like the WinRing0 driver which is no longer supported.

What sort of turbo behavior is ThrottleStop changing? Be as specific as possible. Are you using ThrottleStop along with XTU at the same time? When properly setup, it should be possible to run ThrottleStop without it changing anything too important. Help me out with this. If I cannot find a way to adjust ThrottleStop so it does not screw up your turbo feature then I will write a simple Speed Shift On program for you that you can run from any script but it would be much less work for me if we can get ThrottleStop to do this for you.

@selfassembled Edit - I found and re-read your previous post.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-764#post-10701711

I am a smart guy but my memory is terrible. Too much time in the forums. :)
    Based on that it looks like I will have to write a quick and simple enable Speed Shift kind of program for you. Maybe next week.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  6. Kocane

Kocane Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Correct me if Throttlestop doesn't have this behaviour but is there any way to get a version or make Throttlestop versions never 'expire'? I want to set up my old laptop which - because of cpu whine - has Throttlestop installed. It's for a family member and I can't imagine them ever being able to update Throttlestop so I would to just make the program 'static'.

7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    This is at the top of my things to do list. Check your messages for more details.

8. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/why-does-the-8250u-require-such-a-high-voltage.815154/

I graphed the power consumption with different clock speeds. After a turbo clock after 2.3GHz you get more power consumption, and it becomes less efficient. Personally, I don't see why you'd want your CPU to run at 3.4GHz. A 15W TDP limit IIRC gives a Passmark CPUMark score of 7000, but if you raise the power limit to 45W the CPU can constantly run at its maximum turbo 3.4GHz. Most of the tests run with the CPU drawing 25-35W. So, 200% the power consumption for a 130% the performance.

Especially with your cooling, I wouldn't recommend changing the power limits. I doubt your laptop would be able to sustain 30W without thermal throttling. Having a 15W CPU run at 73C is a sign of poor cooling. My 8250U sustains temperatures of under 53C under a 15W TPL. If you really want to, I'll give you a link to changing the TDP

Eric Faulhefer, duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop 8.60
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RLAhyEY6wRDgkOHwCSD7Ls5j9Uk9ZxEj/view?usp=sharing

[​IMG]

New Features
    - Papusan inspired small footprint edition.
    - compatible with Windows 10 April Update, Version 1803 Build 17134.1
    - removed expiry date.
    - redesigned TS Bench test.
    - compiled with Visual Studio 2013.
    - Microsoft vcredist_x86.exe download link included if needed.
    - re-release of previous ThrottleStop 8.50 with expiry date removed.

If you try to run ThrottleStop and you get this error:

[​IMG]

You will need to download and install the vcredist_x86.exe redistributable package from Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4032938/update-for-visual-c-2013-redistributable-package

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  10. mkubicki

mkubicki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk