The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @unclewebb
    How exactly do you use biosbits to find the available C-states?
    I tried it this morning and spent a lot of time, and there were a lot of really confusing, over my head things in there, which seem to be for developers or something.
    The only thing I could find was something called "Mwait C1, C3e, c6" or something, and it said "C6 was supported" and it let me "activate Mwait c6, but that's all I could find.

Could find nothing on C10 or anything.

Vasudev and unclewebb like this.
  2. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently purchased an XPS 13 9360, which, unlike the older models, properly uses turbo such that short bursts of power are limited to 51W for 28 seconds and sustained use at ~23W for unlimited time periods is possible and only limited by thermal throttling.

Unfortunately, when using throttlestop, and I tried to change settings, and delete the INI to start over a few times, sustained turbo is for some reason limited to 15W or sometimes 13W and my cinebench scores drop over 100 points vs. XTU. Throttlestop is a nicer program, but as it seems to be messing with turbo functionality, I had to stop using it.

Any ideas?

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Good question. I must have tried a dozen different versions of the BIOS Implementation Test Suite (BITS) including the most recent version and none of them could report C State residency time on my 4th Gen Haswell. The option was gone. I know BITS used to work so I tried it on a 1st Gen Core i and the Test menu had these options.

[​IMG]

The C State Residency option works on older CPUs but the new ones are not supported. Kind of dumb to remove this feature because the newer processors continue to use the exact same registers to store C State data. BITS would be a useful tool if it had been updated but it is dead.

There are power limits in the MMIO (memory mapped IO) that XTU has access to but ThrottleStop does not. That is likely the problem. On your laptop, you will have to continue using Intel XTU. ThrottleStop can solve a lot of problems but not this one. Development of the WinRing0 driver that ThrottleStop uses ended about 10 years ago so with a budget of $0, there is no easy way for me to fix this limitation. :(

duttyend, Vasudev and Falkentyne like this.
  4. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Using TS 850, I have enabled it to run on startup and logon by killing the existing login and starting a new one. I have also enabled it to show in tray as i want it to switch profiles between AC and battery modes. However, whenever I login after sleeping the computer, the notification icon disappears but Throttlestop appears to be running in processes. Not sure if it is changing profiles or not, but whenever I resume from sleep I have to restart Throttlestop manually for it to show up again on the nofitications. Any ideas?

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

There is a random bug in throttlestop 8.50 with my M17x R1, randomly changes the reading of the FSB form 266 to 366 so the clockspeed is wrong unless I hit the FSB button. It randomly happens throughout usage.

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    What does, "killing the existing login", mean? Are you using taskkill to kill Windows or ThrottleStop.exe? I use the Task Scheduler to start ThrottleStop and I have the icon sitting in the system tray. The icon is still sitting in the tray after I resume from stand by or hibernate. The Task Scheduler has a few issues so if you are using it, check out the guide in this thread to make sure that your task is setup properly.

Task Scheduler Guide
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

ThrottleStop has a few issues like that, especially on the older Core 2 Extreme processors. Being able to unlock and change the maximum multiplier while in Windows was not something that Intel properly documented so bugs like this are inevitable. I have no plans to fix this bug.

duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  7. djsubtronic

djsubtronic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry meant "killing the existing process" not login... I will recreate the task using your guide and see if that helps. I may have also misidentified the cause of it randomly closing itself as standby because today it happened just randomly. One minute it was in the tray and next minute gone. Hopefully recreating the task will fix it. Thank you.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. ekkolp

ekkolp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi all, do you know how can I set an specific profile as default? It always start with profile 1 but I would like to start with another one.

9. mazzuco

mazzuco Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for this app! I'm using it with my i5-6300HQ for almost 1 year. I'm also trying to use it with my i7-7700 (Desktop), but unlike my i5, the speedshift only sets the lower clock limit, so there is no way to limit the clock with Speedshift. For some reason, even being a 65W, it was reaching 86W and 94°C with IBT (no warnings in TPL window). Now, with a -150mv core and cache undervolt, it only reach 63W and 75°C. Another difference is that Package Power Long show as 3408 and PPS as 4095.

https://imgur.com/a/Yp0Bo

10. Kers

Kers Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    EPP 0 or 255 result in the same -11.5W ish power consumption. Cores spend 98% time in C7.
    Wondering if power consumption number is accurate, what's the update interval? The number won't change even if I start running benchmarks. Exit TS and open again shows the updated power consumption.