The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    It depends on how you have ThrottleStop setup. There are a variety of ways to start ThrottleStop so it is possible to have it running on your system without there being an icon for it in the Notification Area / System tray at the bottom right of your screen. Open up the Task Manager. Click on the Details tab. If you see ThrottleStop.exe in this list then it is running. If you do not see ThrottleStop.exe in this list then it is not running on your computer. That is the easiest way to see if it is working or not.

When you exit ThrottleStop, it generally does not set your CPU back to any sort of default settings. If it is not showing up in the Task Manger, it is still possible that it is influencing your CPU. Most under volting and over clocking settings will be persistent after you exit ThrottleStop. For default values, it is up to the user to set up a profile with default values and switch to this profile before exiting ThrottleStop so it can return the CPU to these values.

duttyend likes this.
  2. Emil8x

Emil8x Newbie

Reputations:
    So in the end it may always be sneaking in the background ;) Best thing to do then is to set a default profile, press save and exit!

Thanks

3. Freitz

Freitz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Question for the group.

When Throttle Stop is enabled with any type of undervolt. HWInfo 64 reports CPU L2 Cache Error. When I reboot an do not use throttle stop at all. No errors. Prior to Nov. I had zero WHEA Errors and no issues with my undervolt.

This seems software related. I've checked all my updates and drivers. Reflashed the bios. I am not sure what else to do.

Thanks for the help.

4. Coltaine79

Coltaine79 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Greetings all & Unclewebb,

Long-time RealTemp user here (on my trusted i7-920 desktop rig; still going strong after 9 years!) and recent ThrottleStop user on my XPS 13.
    I use ThrottleStop to enable SpeedShift on my XPS 13. Like some others here, I've noticed that sometimes after standby/suspend, it "forgets" SpeedShift and it's actually turned off. Has anyone discovered any solutions for this, other than manually going into "TPL" and flicking SpeedShift back on?

Unclewebb, could this be something potentially automated in a future TS version?

pressing likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Reset BIOS to default using Dell diagnostics usb and try again.

You can check mark Enable Speedshift when TS is turned ON.
    Provided you have already set EPP value in TS main window SST shifts between different P states autonomously. Disable Speedstep and C1E in TS only(Don't touch BIOS variables at all, doing so might lock out the CPU freq. to 800MHz) to get full power of HWP aka Speedshift feature.

pressing likes this.
  6. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

The main reason of BD-Prochot is the temperature or also can be the excess of voltage?

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    BD Prochot is -something- signalling the Embedded Controller, or the EC itself, that you've exceeded some sort of limit somewhere. It can be temperature, current, AC, Battery, PCH, basically, anything outside of the normal "Package Power Limit", "Cpu voltage limit", "VR Current Limit", PL3/PL4, SVID, etc, and always causes an 800 mhz lock on the CPU.
    It's possible for this 800 mhz lock to be turned on by the Embedded Controller, even WITHOUT BD Prochot being flagged. This is very rare and is usually caused by exceeding some sort of AC limit.

duttyend, Vasudev and Pedro69 like this.
  8. Pedro69

Pedro69 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dont know if you saw my posts but i found 2 more people with the same issue, one in GT72VR-7RE(same as me) and another on MSI GT72VR 6RE

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...u-throttling-to-800mhz-and-stuttering.813644/

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=299155.0

I need find a way to check what is causing this issue.

9. netsen90

netsen90 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am having a wierd issue with my Xeon E5-2690 v3. For some reason i am getting Current limit throttling even under virtually no load (1-5% cpu), and the Package TDP never goes beyond 75W during stresstest, even if its capable of 135W. I really need some help figuring this out. My motherboard is a Asrock X99E-ITX/ac with the latest BIOS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Change VR (CPU Current Limit) / ICCMax to 100-200 amps.