The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    If you can't fix it yourself... Try a local Computer repair shop. If you still want run it as it is, don't run max performance. Follow @unclewebb's guide regarding how to put Speed Shift - EPP settings for less Performance. Good luck, sir:)

pressing likes this.
  2. dhrumstix

dhrumstix Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb I have throttlestop set to start with windows, however it starts the service but doesn't put the icon in the task tray so if I want to open throttle stop to change settings, I have to stop the task and then re-start the program. Any way to fix this?

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Maybe. Did you follow the guide on page 514?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-514

Step 3) in the guide might be the problem.

It sounds like you have ThrottleStop starting up before you log on. Fix that and see what happens.

Edit - I just remembered. I finally fixed up the original guide in the second post of this thread. Lots of info there to point you in the right direction.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/#post-6865107

duttyend and 0lok like this.
  4. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey friends!
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (or if it's already answered in this matter). Today was the first time TS shows a warning message (CPU not supported) since I've purchased my MSI GE63VR. It's a 7700HQ, what's the cause for that?
    Also thanks for this magnificent piece of software, unclewebb!

EDIT: Issue is fixed immediately after I plugged my laptop in. It appears TS just won't run when the laptop is on power saving profiles!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. psil0

psil0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

Greetings!! How are you?

I'm hoping you can help me because I'm running out of ideas.

Im having EDP Current in CPU, GPU and RING when playing games, so when gpu is under load (cpu +gpu)

I managed to unlock lots of bios setting, that I can customize now.
    Already tried changing processor current limit and the turbo boost power limits

Any ideias?!

Thank you

Clevo N170SD
    HM87
    i7-4720hq
    GTX 960M

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    THEBOSS619 likes this.
  6. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Currently your processor can work safely up to 100c according to Intel but I think your laptop OEM specified to set it only up to 97c according to your screen shot so... first of all.

Fix your thermal issues because you're already touching the limit of PROCHOT that the OEM specified.
    Did you try to undervolt & see if it helps your current thermal issues?

In general.. get your thermal fixed first and then tweak your CPU settings to whatever you need :)

7. NeonSun

NeonSun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A quick question: Can I bump up the Turbo TDP/TDC by say doubling it from stock value and ensure throttling is held back? Basically, I want all my benches to run whilst the CPU is at its max core clocks on all cores

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Can you post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop TPL window? Is PP0 Current Limit adjustable? Some manufacturers set some very low limits that can trigger EDP throttling. ThrottleStop might not have access to these limits. I agree with @THEBOSS619 and you should start by trying to improve your laptop cooling system. It is not the main cause of this problem but hitting the PROCHOT temperature is not helping things out.

@NeonSun - What CPU do you have? Sounds like a 1st Gen Core i that used the TDP/TDC settings. Post some screenshots. If TDP and TDC are adjustable then adjust them higher. Watch the CPU multiplier (speed) while benching to make sure that your CPU is running at its maximum speed. I recently picked up an unlocked W3680 to play with. Bumping the TDP up from 130 to 180 helped it maintain full speed when it was running Cinebench at 4133 MHz. I will do some testing and post some pictures later on. ThrottleStop and the 1st Gen Core i were good friends way back then.

duttyend and THEBOSS619 like this.
  9. psil0

psil0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb @THEBOSS619

Thank you guys for the replies.

I have a cooling pad, and changed thermal paste and dusted off the interior a few weeks a go.
    Sometimes the temps spike up, but not often. High demanding games temp is between 70-80C. Normal games 60-75C

[​IMG]

THEBOSS619 likes this.
  10. Emil8x

Emil8x Newbie

Reputations:
    Quick question as I couldn't find it anywhere: Does throttlestop always work in the background or do I actually need to open it to work ?

Thanks