The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. cktducky

cktducky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here you go. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-564 [#5634], I also quoted to below for your quick reference,

Panzer4, Vistar Shook and pressing like this.
  2. xenocracy_2001

xenocracy_2001 Newbie

Reputations:
    Why ThrottleStop 8.50 have an Expiry date ?
    -> Expiry date extended to January 2019

Have never found a Freeware Version
    with a Expiry date. Shareware ok I Understood,
    But Freeware ? Have now found a Solution
    for never Ending Use, for me.

Why not a Splash Screen with:
    "Please Update Now my Software It's a long Time ago
    Next Update with new Features is coming to you certainly."
    --> But the program continues to work. Look on Winrar

Thank You Mr. Unclewebb for this Great Tool.
    This is the only Cpu Throttling Tool it is working for me.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. Panzer4

Panzer4 Newbie

Reputations:
  4. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No worries. ThrottleStop 8.60 will not expire. I will release the new version next week or next month. Not sure exactly when but a long time before TS 8.50 expires. Old versions of ThrottleStop expire because they were compiled with a C++ compiler that is almost 20 years old. I finally had time to switch ThrottleStop 8.60 to a much newer version of Visual Studio and I also had time to fix a couple of long time ThrottleStop bugs. ThrottleStop 8.60 will be FREE and there will be no more expiring versions. That will make everyone happy. :)

@alakes - The method I use to figure out the default TDP is a little bit complicated. It is explained in the public documentation.

MSR_RAPL_POWER_UNIT 0x606
    MSR_PKG_POWER_INFO 0x614

You read the TDP data from MSR 0x614 and then you have to convert that number into Watts based on what units are in MSR 0x606. The units a Pentium N4200 uses are a little different than what most Core i CPUs use. As far as I know, both of these MSRs are read only so you cannot make any changes to these registers to change your TDP. Intel lists the N4200 at a TDP of 6W so it looks like ThrottleStop is reading this correctly.

https://ark.intel.com/products/95592/Intel-Pentium-Processor-N4200-2M-Cache-up-to-2_5-GHz

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  5. alakes

alakes Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's there. Units seem to be 1/256 watts. Writing to it bluescreens with a system service exception. I tried accessing the MSR_CONFIG_TDP* registers but everything bluescreens (even just reading). The PP0/PP1 limit regs are no go either.

6. duttyend

duttyend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're awesome... Thank you so much for everything !

7. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    Is setting Minimum processor state to 100% in Windows power plan option still required with latest Throttlestop version? Any other settings requiring modification for correct Throttlestop functionality?

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    It depends on the CPU and what ThrottleStop features you are using. The above recommendation only applied to the Set Multiplier feature. If you have a modern CPU that supports Speed Shift and you are using that feature, that Windows power plan setting probably will not make any difference. Do some testing and post some more info and some pics if you are not sure.

9. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    @unclewebb thank you!

I have i5-6200u, and enabled Speedshift in Throttlestop. The system behaves strangely after adjusting TDP. In XTU, I am able to increase TDP to 20-something but it doesn't hold, looks like silently reverts back to stock 15W in 10 minutes or so, without any notifications or anything; in TS, increasing TDP does not seem to do anything - while new TDP is reported correctly in TS itself and Intel Power Gadget, it doesn't affect CPU's behavior in any way.

upload_2018-1-17_20-30-44.png
    upload_2018-1-17_20-31-55.png
    upload_2018-1-17_20-29-39.png
    upload_2018-1-17_20-30-9.png
    upload_2018-1-17_20-38-33.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Make sure XTU service is stopped and set to manual when using TS. BTW, your short pkg power is 25W which is really good to see.
    View attachment 154045
    Uncheck Speedstep & BDPROCHOT.

View attachment 154043
    Normally I don't undervolt iGPU at all instead undervolt System agent and analog IO. And if you're seeing strange issues after resuming from sleep or resuming from hibernation then check off, Use default cache ratio during standby.
    View attachment 154044
    Uncheck Clamp option and see if can you change PP0 turbo time limit to 8 or more.
    if you want max cpu performance then tweak Intel Power balance with CPU set to 31 and GPU to 9 or 11. If you use only iGPU then set GPU value to 15, 17 or 21 whichever gives you max CPU and GPU perf.

Starlight5 likes this.