The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @alakes - It looks like Apollo Lake is mapped completely different compared to most of the Core i family.
    After booting up, before running ThrottleStop, have a look at MSR 0x610. Try having a look through the MMIO space and see if you can find anything that looks similar to that. Without any documentation, it is definitely looking for a needle in a haystack. Now that I think about it, Apollo Lake goes up in steps of 1/256 so a 6 watt limit should show xxxx8600. The first 4 digits contain information about the time limit. The last 4 digits are the important ones. The 8 is the enable bit so that one will definitely be set if this is used.

@Falkentyne - No need for more donations. I have some money in the purse to buy some more hardware to feed my addiction. Maybe tonight! I will put a blanket over it at home. Who will ever know. :D

I do not have MMIO documentation. Bit[16] is the Clamp bit in the power limits register, MSR 0x610 so that might be the same in the MMIO. If you want to play, set the next 4 digits to 8100 like I did. This is equivalent to a 32 Watt limit. Run TS Bench and see what sort of multiplier you get and what Limit Reasons has to say. You might have to go for an even lower limit like 8080 for 16 Watts. If that is the Clamp bit, the multi should throttle to keep the CPU from exceeding the power limit that you set. If Clamp is not set, it should only throttle off all of the turbo boost and leave the multi at its default value. Might have to go play with this myself.

Edit - Yep, it is the Clamp bit. When that bit is set, my CPU is being clamped to a maximum of 16.0 Watts. If I disable that bit, the multiplier jumps up to 24 which is the default multiplier.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yep it worked :) 32W power limit instantly (PL1 throttling) on TS Bench :)

duttyend and Vistar Shook like this.
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That was an awesome post - thanks @unclewebb !

It seems that Uncle Webb's "Unsuitable" 7500U vastly outperforms my "High Quality" 6300HQ. He runs Prime95 or LinX at 25% faster speeds-way above what the marketing specs sell me. What is happening here?

A. 7500U has 2 cores, 4 threads (turbo 3.5, base 2.7GHz) with 15W TDP.
    >>>Uncle Webb runs 4 threads (28 Watts displayed) at 3.5GHz

B. 6300HQ has 4 cores (turbo 3.2, base 2.2GHz) with 45W TDP.
    >>>I run 4 cores (37 Watts displayed) at 2.8GHz

Like Uncle Webb, I tweaked the TDP in ThrottleStop and via FED159A0 & A4 but that did not make a difference (tried 50 W, 55W and 65W). I am nowhere near thermal throttling and no flags (well except IA: Max Turbo Limit).

So I think what happened was Uncle Webb's Lenovo hid some nice performance in two ways:

1. Lenovo and Intel allowed the 7500U somehow to run at max turbo for all 4 threads (3.5GHz)
    ---Dell and Intel crippled the 6300HQ for 4 core operation (2.8GHz)

2. The 7500U TDP of 15W is similar to 6300HQ TDP of 45W
    -- Lenovo 7500U can be boosted to 28W whilst Dell 6300HQ is stuck at 37W

Another question - assuming both chips can drop wattage use by 1/3 by undervolting, the only real benefits are reduced power consumption, reduced heat (potentially preventing throttling). For power users with well cooled machines (via repasting, Milwaulkee Hole Dozer mods, etc), is it fair to say that extra power/thermal overhead should be available for overclocking but is wasted as that option is only availble on certain chips (e.g. K)?

I suppose @Papusan might call this ugly child from Dell a JokeBook...

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You said it yourself... <the only real benefits are reduced power consumption, reduced heat (potentially preventing or reduce throttling in heavy load - if this is the normal behavior)> for fully locked down cpu.

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  5. power_user

power_user Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb
    How to change timer resolution from 5.0 ms to 15.625 ms? Why ThrottleStop requests that resolution? As I know, this isn't good for power savings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think its MSFT's new update increased the timer to mitigate Spectre and Meltdown exploits.
    Let me check it on my PC.

duttyend likes this.
  7. HagsterZx

HagsterZx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    some lenovo y720 user here?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Open up the Options window and make sure AC Timer Res is set to 16. Click on OK and then open up the Options window again and see what your Timer Resolution is set to. It should show 15.625 ms. If it does not show this then you have some other program on your computer that has lowered the timer resolution. Is this a bad thing? Not really. It could be any program running on your computer. Some internet browsers used to do this to smooth things out. It does not grossly interfere with C State residency time and it does not make a huge difference in power consumption. Those were scary stories from the old days. 15.625 ms might have been a reasonable time slice back when Windows 95 was running on a 25 MHz computer but a lot has changed since then.

I added this feature to ThrottleStop because setting this to 1 can eliminate some stuttering issues while gaming. There are some badly written drivers that can cause hitching or stuttering. Even though your frame rate might show a steady number, your video or game might not be very smooth. Changing this Windows setting can help.

When the power limits are lifted, the 7500U is a beast. I think Apple sells U CPUs and they have a 28 Watt TDP limit. Most of the junk books that @Papusan hates only use U CPUs with a meager 15 Watt TDP limit.

Check out the specs for a Core i7-7567U. 28 Watts and a peak turbo speed of 4.00 GHz.

https://ark.intel.com/products/97541/Intel-Core-i7-7567U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

Now the question is, why are all the manufacturers that are building Windows computers not able to get their hands on this CPU? There would be a lot less complaints about knee capped performance if Intel would start sharing the good stuff of the U series. Are all the Windows manufacturers too dumb or too cheap? Is an extra dollar or two for an adequate heatsink to cool this U too much for their budget computers?

Papusan, duttyend, Vasudev and 4 others like this.
  9. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 28 Watt U CPU's have Iris Graphics, so they had to up the TDP from 15W to handle that on load.

Vasudev and pressing like this.
  10. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This link will let you understand more why lower timer resolution is harmful :)
    https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/windows-timer-resolution-megawatts-wasted/

power_user and Vasudev like this.