The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Open up the Options window and make sure AC Timer Res is set to 16. Click on OK and then open up the Options window again and see what your Timer Resolution is set to. It should show 15.625 ms. If it does not show this then you have some other program on your computer that has lowered the timer resolution. Is this a bad thing? Not really. It could be any program running on your computer. Some internet browsers used to do this to smooth things out. It does not grossly interfere with C State residency time and it does not make a huge difference in power consumption. Those were scary stories from the old days. 15.625 ms might have been a reasonable time slice back when Windows 95 was running on a 25 MHz computer but a lot has changed since then.

I added this feature to ThrottleStop because setting this to 1 can eliminate some stuttering issues while gaming. There are some badly written drivers that can cause hitching or stuttering. Even though your frame rate might show a steady number, your video or game might not be very smooth. Changing this Windows setting can help.

When the power limits are lifted, the 7500U is a beast. I think Apple sells U CPUs and they have a 28 Watt TDP limit. Most of the junk books that @Papusan hates only use U CPUs with a meager 15 Watt TDP limit.

Check out the specs for a Core i7-7567U. 28 Watts and a peak turbo speed of 4.00 GHz.

https://ark.intel.com/products/97541/Intel-Core-i7-7567U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

Now the question is, why are all the manufacturers that are building Windows computers not able to get their hands on this CPU? There would be a lot less complaints about knee capped performance if Intel would start sharing the good stuff of the U series. Are all the Windows manufacturers too dumb or too cheap? Is an extra dollar or two for an adequate heatsink to cool this U too much for their budget computers?

Papusan, duttyend, Vasudev and 4 others like this.
  2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The 28 Watt U CPU's have Iris Graphics, so they had to up the TDP from 15W to handle that on load.

Vasudev and pressing like this.
  3. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This link will let you understand more why lower timer resolution is harmful :)
    https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/windows-timer-resolution-megawatts-wasted/

power_user and Vasudev like this.
  4. Panzer4

Panzer4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I have an acer swift 3 with an i5 8250U, and this thing is an astoundingly powerful CPU, except it power limit throttles under max load for more than ~20 seconds, after monitoring it with coretemp during a prime95 test. After that, it stays locked down at 15w and 2-2.5 ghz instead of full 3.4 Ghz Turbo and 30-40w. Is there any way to change the PL1 setting with throttlestop so this doesn't occur? Or am I out of luck without access to the advanced BIOS?

Just to be clear, this is not due to thermal limitations, but artificial power limit constraints (The CPU is typically around 60-70C with max load under turbo before it throttles)
    Thanks for the help!

Edit:
    So after following the instructions detailed below, I was able ti change the power limit for my 8250U, and it actually worked! It's allowed the processor to achieve a Cinebench score of 720, up from 505 - an increase of 40% from its stock settings. Now I just need to figure out how to set this memory address through restarts. Thanks for the information, unclewebb!
    These new Kaby Lake-U quad cores are insane if you can remove their power limits- Desktop performance on small mobile.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    So you unlocked it with MSR power limits! Nice!
    I wonder if @Vistar Shook is having the same issue with his eVGA. I sent him a PM...hope he replies.
    Would be wonderful if the same thing worked for him.

duttyend and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On my machine the PL1 limit entry says 00181E0...so 60W and PL2 is disabled. But when I change the value it reverts back. I can put a value for PL2 and it will stick, but it won't work in practice. Unfortunately, the power limits can't be changed in the Bios and neither in MMIO.
    https://imgur.com/ThKA6Ew

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. cktducky

cktducky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just for reference, in my laptop, i5-4200U, using all techniques, Throttlestop(UnderVolt + PowerCut + max. CPU/GPU balance) + FED159A0 settings, can run steadily, already 15 mins, up to 29.5W, with max. CPU/GPU frequency, 100% load, without speed limit by any Power Limit.

IntelHaswellSteadyWOLimit29.5W.jpg

Rybo713, Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  8. alakes

alakes Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - No luck with the searches, I can't find anything that looks remotely like the TDP limit regs, even searching for individual bytes. Can you tell me where this value comes from?:

[​IMG]

It is not in any of the registers I'm aware of.

9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @unclewebb !
    I found out the value at dword register 30 at FED15900 is the actual TDP of your processor!
    Yours shows 47W there. Is this raw TDP or some base power limit?

But writing to this field instantly gets reverted :(

duttyend, Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  10. Panzer4

Panzer4 Newbie

Reputations:
    Could anyone point me to a guide on how to use commands with RWeverything to create a file to run on startup? Had no luck with my googling.. :/