The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. karasahin

karasahin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi folks. There is a problem with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Back then on W7 with my previous notebook this utility was working fine but now I've got a new notebook and it gives me a warning that Intel Watchdog is not present. I've downloaded the utility from Intel's website. Now my question is that what if I ignore this and undervolt via Throttlestop? Will the system revert back to the stable state if things go south? (too much undervolting etc.) I mean are these two programs somehow connected? It is not absolutely necessary but I would be appreciated if I can solve this Watchdog problem too. Thanks in advance.

2. Laing hodson

Laing hodson Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

screenshot above, i have tried removing it and downloading again with no luck, what do you mean exactly, when you say, clean up and create new tasks? sorry for the noob questions.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Laing hodson

Laing hodson Newbie

Reputations:
    just tried TS on my laptop. loads of fine.. something must of went wrong when i installed my new gpu drivers. looking like it's gonna need formatted, can't think of anything else :(

4. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Of course, you could uninstall the GPU drivers and reinstall (or install the previous version. Or, (perish the thought), use a restore point to go back to the state before the drivers were installed - then start over. You should be able to avoid reformatting. Of course, I now have so much software installed, I would do almost anything to avoid reformatting...:)
    Good luck,

joe

5. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Indeed, Intel XTU is quite buggy with Intel's own chips lol. Uninstall it.

On most of my systems, I have completely uninstalled XTU and use ThrottleStop, which I have found to be much more stable. Running both programs together can cause conflicts as they try to write to the same registers.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Sometimes Microsoft will put WinRing0 on its bad driver list and this will prevent ThrottleStop from opening. A few questions. What is the exact version of Windows you are using? Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.192 seems to be the most recent build of Redstone 3. Are you beta testing Redstone 4? A Windows update might have been installed while you were updating your GPU drivers.

What antivirus program are you using? It might be Windows Defender that is blocking the WinRing0 driver. I use the free version of Avast.

Try moving the ThrottleStop folder to the C:\Program Files (x86) directory.

I have seen this problem before with WinRing0 not opening but I cannot remember what I did to solve it.

duttyend and pressing like this.
  7. alakes

alakes Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have an Apollo Lake powered Acer Swift 1 (Pentium N4200). On its default configuration, it allows a 6W turbo for 28s, then it throttles down to 4W. With ThrottleStop 8.50's TPL controls (or RWEverything to MSR 0x610) I can raise this to 6W/6W (so 6W sustained forever). But no matter what I try, it will never exceed 6W for any reason or any period of time. Limit resons show PL2 in red. The limits show 0/0, I can set them to large values and they stick but don't work (same for Primary Plane Power limits).

Any ideas on where the 6W might be coming from? It's the nominal TDP for this CPU, but people apparently have been successful getting 15W from it. It might be some other limit from the BIOS (which has no settings as you can expect). It there anything I can try to overcome this limit (using RWEverything or whatever?) Could be integrated into ThrottleStop if it works. Thanks!

8. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @alakes - There are several power limits and unfortunately, ThrottleStop does not have access to all of them. There is another set of power limits that can be accessed via the memory mapped IO. Use RW Everything to access the duplicate PL1 and PL2 registers here.

[​IMG]

Both limits in the pic are set to 8100 which decodes to 8 for the enable bit and 100 hex = 256 decimal
    256 / 8 = 32 Watts so both limits are set to 32 watts for this example. This is the typical format for most recent Core i CPUs. Apollo Lake might have these limits in something other than 1/8 Watt units or they might be located somewhere else. The format should be the same as the limits in MSR 0x610.

Your device might be using the memory mapped IO limits or it could be something else that has set a 6 Watt limit. Intel made life difficult for enthusiasts. Post a pic if you get beyond 6W.

A value of 00000000 usually means these limits are not being used.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    duttyend, Vasudev, alakes and 2 others like this.
  9. alakes

alakes Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - It doesn't look like there's anything mapped there:

[​IMG]

Where does this address come from? Could it be somewhere else? Any pattern to search for?

Edit: I found this guide but the address points to the same place:

[​IMG]

There are only 0s in there.

Edit2: The documentation is not publicly available either. There's even one document called "Addendum for Tuning Registers". Sigh.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @unclewebb master mighty unclewebb (btw I'll be donating to you again in the future even though I'm nowhere near as cool or popular as Master @Papusan or Mr. Fox :(
    I also have something strange in my 00000000FED15900 memory area.
    At address A0, there is a value 00010000. Nothing in the next field however. I have no idea what 00010000 even means. I'm pretty sure the MSI GT73VR doesn't use MMIO power limits, but I was "bored" and tried to see what was there :) It's not important; I was just curious. Any idea what that value means at that A0 offset ?

duttyend, Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.