The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. douze-bis

douze-bis Newbie

Reputations:
    On a dual cpu mobo, is it possible to tell ThrottleStop on which cpu to apply the modifications (eg multiplier change) ?
    Thanks for your support.

duttyend likes this.
  2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop is designed for single CPU motherboards only. I don't have any dual CPU motherboards to develop on so I probably won't be adding this feature.

duttyend likes this.
  3. jcthorne

jcthorne Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Having just moved up from an E6400 with its throttling problems that throttlestop solved nicely, to a new E6420 with a i7 processor, I have a couple questions.

On the old machine, undervolting helped considerably in the temps. Is this still a viable option on a i7 2720qm?

Can you point me to any TS settings that could help out this new system or is it pretty much leave it alone and monitor?

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Intel eliminated simple under volting when they first switched from Core 2 to Core i processors.

With many of the newer Sandy Bridge laptops, there are still throttling problems. I think Dell learned their lessons that it's not a good idea to do this anymore unless absolutely necessary. I'm not hearing about throttling problems on the Dells like the Acer x830 series and some Asus G53/G73 owners are reporting. Try using ThrottleStop in monitoring mode and run a log file. If your CPU is not throttling when loaded then there probably isn't much need for ThrottleStop on your computer. Keep it handy and do some more testing every few months just to make sure that the heatsink is still working properly and your CPU is running at its designed speed.

duttyend likes this.
  5. CyberTronics

CyberTronics Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does ThrottleStop support i5-2410m?

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop supports the newer Sandy Bridge processors like the Core i5-2410M but laptop manufacturers have decided to lock most features that can be adjusted. If your laptop has a throttling problem then ThrottleStop should be able to completely fix or greatly reduce this problem. Let me know what laptop model you have and I will tell you if there are any known issues.

ThrottleStop is a very useful tool to accurately monitor these new CPUs so you can make sure that it is running at its Intel rated speed and not being throttled. Turn on the Log File feature and then go use your laptop for a while and you can send me a ThrottleStopLog.txt file when you are done if you want me to have a look. Too much data is always best. You can upload it to www.mediafire.com and then send me the link.

duttyend likes this.
  7. miro_gt

miro_gt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    glad to see development is still going on :)

I'm still happily using version 3.00

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop 3.20 beta 2
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4ug155h06073w5v

Beta testing of the latest version is looking good so far. Version 3.10 has a new HotKey manager feature so you can quickly change ThrottleStop profiles with a user defined hotkey. The most recent version above includes a new C State monitoring and control window for Core i processors as well as per profile Turbo Ratio Limits for the Core i Extreme CPUs like the 920XM and 940XM.

I thought when Sandy Bridge came out that ThrottleStop wouldn't be needed anymore but there are a lot of throttling issues with these new CPUs because manufacturers are designing cooling solutions that are barely adequate and packing a lot of hardware muscle into smaller and smaller laptops.

The new C1 and C3 Auto Demote options for Core i CPUs can significantly increase SSD 4K Write times so it looks like ThrottleStop will be around for a while yet. When StamatisX was testing his 940XM on Tech Inferno, he saw an increase of almost 200% with ThrottleStop set up like this.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if the newer chipsets will respond like this but you can do your own before and after testing if you have a Core i CPU and are curious.

AS SSD Benchmark 1.6.4194.30325
    http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4&download_id=9

duttyend likes this.
  9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I have tried this (as you know...), but when tested with my Z68 chipset and 2600K the Package C State Limit option(s) are grayed out.

Is this the part you weren't 'sure if the newer chipsets will respond' similarly to?

Either way, it still made a 4% difference in the reads of an Intel 510 when under load (SuperPI to 32M).

See:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/7763449-post6.html

10. Dufus

Dufus .

Reputations:
    tilleroftheearth, maybe your BIOS sets the lock bit (15) in MSR 0xE2 thus preventing any changes to package C-states. If your curious and want to test for a difference though you could try changing the power scheme in Windows to not use any C-states except C0, but be aware your idle power and temps will be quite high.