The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oh that must have been a few pages back. Probably didn't pay much attention to it. I assume you guys have the exact same motherboard model then.

3. selfassembled

selfassembled Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I once used "Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0" to easily extract bios files from inside windows, worked flawlessly and I recommend it. I can supply the file if you need it.

4. justmex

justmex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Attached Files:

5. justmex

justmex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows 10 LTSB N x64, Btw not detecting the nvidia nvs 4200M on Lenovo Thinkpad T420 or T520

Attached Files:

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In First image use Windows 10 as configure option.
    In second picture Capture2.png edit the trigger to start the app at system logon for successful startup of TS.

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @justmex - Here is step 7) in the guide.
    If you want temperature icons in the notification area / system tray, you need to have access to the user interface. Make sure that item is checked.

The configure for Vista, Windows Server 2008 option does not seem to be important. I am running Windows 10 and I have the Task Scheduler set to Vista, Windows Server 2008 and ThrottleStop starts fine. I am not 100% sure what this option does. Changing this option might delay or speed up when a task starts. I have never found a need to play with this option.

On the Conditions tab, make sure those options that are grayed out are not checked. Read step 10) in the guide.
    ThrottleStop gets GPU temperature information from the driver. I have the Nvidia 385.41 driver installed on my Lenovo Y510P and ThrotttleStop has no problem reading the GPU temperature. In the ThrottleStop - Options window, if you click on Nvidia GPU and the box grays out and becomes locked, that means ThrottleStop was not able to access your Nvidia GPU or you do not have an Nvidia GPU. This might happen if you are using an old driver or the default Windows supplied driver. In this case, ThrottleStop will not have access to your GPU temperature data. Go here to install the latest Nvidia drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  8. Michael Flatman

Michael Flatman Newbie

Reputations:
    Throttle Stop doesn't really doo that much on my Intel Atom Z3735F (similar to the Z3735D) but I can't get it above multiplier 19 (1.55ghz). There is plenty of thermal headroom (like under full load it is 60c). What I have noticed however is that when under gpuu and cpu load the chip can throttle either one when it is below throttle point, like 70c it starts to throttle.
    Multiplier 22 takes 0.610V but TS can't go that high on the VID, dialing in 22 doesn't do anything (it just sits at 19 all day long).
    It would be nice to get that extra performance, sometimes it does do it on its own but maybe only a small burst on a core or so. Like HWinfo's Max shows it to get there. But it just doesn't sustain.
    Another weird thing I have noticed is that sometimes the bus clock goes to 111 from 83mhz this causes the RTC to not work properly and so you have to keep resetting the time (it slips slowly). I need to take a benchmark on that hough as some programs say it is at 1.55 some at 2.1ghz so it is confusing. These baytrail tablets :p

9. Maleko48

Maleko48 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like it is probably working as intended as far as the multipliers go. Only so much you can do with locked down hardware unfortunately. Perhaps the FSB clock drops down to save extra power with the assumption it will resynchronize the clock with Window's Time Service next time it wakes up?

I will be interested to hear what more experienced users have to say about your particular case.

10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Michael Flatman - The core temperature is not usually a limiting factor for these tablets. Most of the throttling is caused by power consumption. The maximum amount of power consumption is shared between the Intel CPU and Intel GPU. When both are being utilized at the same time, they will both throttle to stay within the power budget. ThrottleStop might let you adjust the power balance between the CPU and GPU on your Atom.

Here are the specs for the Atom Z3735F.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Atom/Intel-Atom Z3735F.html

The 22 multiplier is the maximum but it is only available when 1 or 2 cores are active. When more than 2 cores are active, the maximum multiplier is 19. This is by Intel design. The Intel Atom series is not an unlocked K series desktop CPU. The bus speed on these is 83.333 MHz. What does ThrottleStop show? HWiNFO might be reporting a random value as the maximum bus speed. How about exit HWiNFO and post a ThrottleStop screenshot while in the middle of running a single thread of the TS Bench. With a single core load, ThrottleStop should be showing a multiplier higher than 19.

Have you tried adjusting the turbo power limits yet? The Baytrail Atom I have can run at its full rated speed after the power limits are adjusted higher.

If your RTC clock is not keeping proper time, see if there is a watch type battery on the motherboard that needs replacing. I do not think the bus speed is changing and I do not think it is causing the clock to lose time.

ThrottleStop can only adjust the VID within the range that the individual processor allows. It is not possible to adjust the VID outside the range that Intel sets at the factory.

duttyend, Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.