The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Serge_raccoon

Serge_raccoon Newbie

Reputations:
    Tbh it looks more like a glitch for me. Ive discovered that voltage is back to stock in like an hr or so after i woke it up. So i assume it not just takes LOOONG it just doesnt work at all. I like XTU design , monitoring, built in stress test but main undervolting functionality is affected. TS is very simple and convenient, just set what you need, add autorun task and you are good in just a couple clicks.

Looks like im 7700 undervolt record holder with -160. most of ppl stopped with 110-125. Ill make further testing during this week and will post if i had any stability issues with it.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    You are welcome. Now if I can just get everyone else to post some pictures when they are having problems. It makes it so much easier for me to find out what is going on.

I was just trying to be nice to XTU. I keep thinking that they must have fixed that problem by now but it doesn't seem like it. XTU looks nice but it is not much use if you are never sure if your under volt has been applied or not.

Now you will have to do some more testing. Can you set the Cache offset voltage lower in ThrottleStop and can you prove that it makes any difference in terms of heat or power consumption. A long time ago I tried to lock the CPU Core and CPU Cache adjustments together just like XTU does it and users promptly screamed at me. NO! Don't do it. Leave these separate, so I did. I think what is possible really depends on the CPU. I am not sure if all CPUs will benefit from lower Cache offset voltage but some sure seem to.

Serge_raccoon likes this.
  3. Serge_raccoon

Serge_raccoon Newbie

Reputations:
    after a hr of testing i dont see any noticeable temp drop with cache undervolting lower than cores. same 72-74C under load. dont listen to some nerds, just tether cache and cores voltage offset and we are good.

4. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I think it is just the HQ processors that have Core and Cache voltage linked together like Siamese twins. You might have to upgrade to a laptop with a K series CPU to take advantage of this feature.

Another test would be to keep dropping the Cache offset voltage down to a crazy number like -250 mV or -500 mV. If your computer crashes with a BSOD, that confirms that it works. If your computer never starts again, it wasn't me that suggested you give this a try. Learning by trial and error can be a painful process. You might not notice any significant difference in temperature or power consumption if the cache is not that power hungry.

I switched ThrottleStop over to a more modern version of Visual Studio today. Only found a few minor issues that have all been solved. It came together quicker than I thought it would. Should have done this years ago but I always avoid fixing things that are not completely broken.

5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I have said this several times now... Why should I use features mostly intended for thin and flimsy? My last reply regarding this “amazing” feature.
    [​IMG]

And many many more than us. Not everyone jump on all sorts of power savings features. You have probably seen Fall update... Micro$haft changed power options in their cartoon OS to push people’s hardware on power saving... Mind you, They design and develope their newest OS more for own hardware, tablet/phones/thin and flimsy now, not for "real" computers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exactly(see above).
    Micro$oft follow the trend as well with their newest OS. Maybe because they design/develope own trash? And much more will come...
    Never seen this one before with (Fall Fail Update).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Vasudev and pressing like this.
  6. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

Regarding throttlestop support on HCC CPUs, there is currently a C0% issue that I am experiencing on my 7980XE and I see that the turboboost core counts are still stuck at 8. Is there any plans to update it to support up to 18 core CPUs? If there is, I would be more than happy to help with the process.

Thanks
    Tgipier

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Thanks for the offer to help. I have no plans to buy a HCC system so I will not be updating ThrottleStop to properly handle these.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Something is up with that Skylake testing for power consumption that you showed there. I saved 20W at idle by enabling C-states on my Skylake build, I also didn't lose any performance by enabling C-states. Enabling C-states provided more idle power savings than running 'power saver' Windows profiles and more saving than enabling Speed Shift. In my view & in my testing enabling C-states is the first thing (& only thing) you should do to reduce idle power consumption of the CPU - combine this with running Windows High Performance profile to ensure no downclocking of CPU, then this is the highest performing configuration that sacrifices no performance while reducing idle power consumption - as shown by my testing in Post #1 at the following thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...eatures-vs-performance-responsiveness.803030/

tilleroftheearth, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  9. justmex

justmex Newbie

Reputations:
    SO really I had a placebo effect ?? :p

what if i change the settings and it blows up my laptop? ;)
    Did you say throttlestop has no effect on 3rd gen CPUs?

Hey this works great on the i7 2670QM...but thats a second generation? I thought throttle stop doesnt work on anything less than 4th generation...
    It saved this laptop thank you !!! back to 48C...and not 98C at 200% fanspeed, not sure how that was calculated !!

Also do i need to schedule a task on throttlestop at start up? Didnt someone say that you can only revert if you delete the ini and do a hard restart?
    How do i run it in the taskbar? I see the temp there, does it mean its running? Just No program icon

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017
  10. tribaljet

tribaljet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would just like to note that ThrottleStop 8.50, while having every functionality working as expected, still seems to have issues regarding dpi awareness, with thread columns and rows not fitting inside the window while system dpi is set to 125%. Screenshot added as example.

[​IMG]