The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Something is up with that Skylake testing for power consumption that you showed there. I saved 20W at idle by enabling C-states on my Skylake build, I also didn't lose any performance by enabling C-states. Enabling C-states provided more idle power savings than running 'power saver' Windows profiles and more saving than enabling Speed Shift. In my view & in my testing enabling C-states is the first thing (& only thing) you should do to reduce idle power consumption of the CPU - combine this with running Windows High Performance profile to ensure no downclocking of CPU, then this is the highest performing configuration that sacrifices no performance while reducing idle power consumption - as shown by my testing in Post #1 at the following thread: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...eatures-vs-performance-responsiveness.803030/

tilleroftheearth, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. justmex

justmex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    SO really I had a placebo effect ?? :p

what if i change the settings and it blows up my laptop? ;)
    Did you say throttlestop has no effect on 3rd gen CPUs?

Hey this works great on the i7 2670QM...but thats a second generation? I thought throttle stop doesnt work on anything less than 4th generation...
    It saved this laptop thank you !!! back to 48C...and not 98C at 200% fanspeed, not sure how that was calculated !!

Also do i need to schedule a task on throttlestop at start up? Didnt someone say that you can only revert if you delete the ini and do a hard restart?
    How do i run it in the taskbar? I see the temp there, does it mean its running? Just No program icon

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017
  3. tribaljet

tribaljet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would just like to note that ThrottleStop 8.50, while having every functionality working as expected, still seems to have issues regarding dpi awareness, with thread columns and rows not fitting inside the window while system dpi is set to 125%. Screenshot added as example.

[​IMG]

4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On various 3rd gen (Ivy Bridge) Clevos along with all the standard button functions (Profile switching, hotkeys, Disable Turbo etc) I have been able to:

-> Alter turbo multipliers
    -> Alter TDP, short/long turbo power limits and time
    -> Add "max turbo voltage" in ~3.7mV steps
    -> "TDP Level Control" if the CPU supports

What this means is:
    -> permanent 3.8ghz multicore on 3720QM and 3.9ghz on 3740qm (because bios allows infinite turbo power, and "partial unlock" +4 turbo bins)
    -> profiles of up to 4.5ghz on 3940XM with to up ~100mV overvolt via 'extra turbo voltage'

Recently I had trouble ripping some old DVDs and throttlestop was extremely useful in slowing the CPU down in 100MHz steps since running the rip below realtime avoided random errors in some of the problem discs

5. justmex

justmex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To be honest with you, I have NO idea what I am doing :p

Take the CPU modulation and the chipset modulation to 30-50% depending on the profile
    AND the multiplier to just below the "T" marking (for turbo I guess?)

On the QUADCORE it runs nice and quiet, until I can open it up and clean the thermals

On the Duo Core, I cannot go too low of the system lags

6. Spunky90

Spunky90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Suddenly ThrottleStop refuses to start...

I am getting an error "Could not open WinRing0.dll"

I am using latest Windows 10 build with the last cumulative update from 15 Nov(a few hours ago).

I was playing with EVGA precision and Afterburner (installing/uninstalling/restarting computer) and suddenly I am receiving the aforementioned error.

Need help :(

7. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Glad you said it. I kind of noticed this but didn't want to be mean about it. :)

Just for the record, ThrottleStop works correctly on Core 2 and beyond. The only limitation is that there is no voltage control for the Core i 1st Gen, 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen. Voltage control resumed with the start of the 4th Gen and beyond.

Sounds like end of days for our beloved ThrottleStop. Time to go pull the network cable out of my main computer so I can disable auto updates.

Last time this happened, running OpenHardwareMonitor in the background allowed ThrottleStop to piggy back on its WinRing0 driver which is hidden within that program.

I agree 100%. If you want to reduce power consumption, enabling the C States is the easiest way to do it. No need to down clock the CPU to 800 MHz if the C States are enabled.

@tribaljet - You are just the guy I am looking for. I didn't forget about this problem. The new smaller foot print version of ThrottleStop might be better or it might be worse. I might do some testing later today or maybe in a week or two. I have already spent too much time on ThrottleStop this week. If Windows 10 is going to kill any software that uses the WinRing0 driver then ThrottleStop will be dead anyhow so it won't matter how it looks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  8. Spunky90

Spunky90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OpenHardwareMonitor did allow me to start ThrottleStop. What we are gonna do now :(

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Who is this "we" you are talking about? The user community has already spoken. They want ThrottleStop to be free software so that means I will not be investing any of my money in new hardware to support this project and I will not be investing any of my time or money in acquiring a new signed driver to replace WinRing0. When Windows 10 kills off WinRing0, ThrottleStop will be officially dead.

I just updated my computer to Windows 10 Version 1709 Build 16299.64 and ThrottleStop is still starting up just fine without needing to run OpenHardwareMonitor.

If you installed and uninstalled programs that depend on WInRIng0, there is a good chance that Windows 10 has blocked this driver on your computer. Not sure how to go about fixing that. Might want to use AutoRuns to find and delete the driver and reboot a few times to try and convince Microsoft that all is OK. After that, try running ThrottleStop again.

Edit - Another trick is to move ThrottleStop and all of its associated WinRing0 files to a different folder.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    FrozenLord, Vasudev and pressing like this.
  10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I appreciate the time and effort in developing and supporting a tool I gain benefit from on a daily basis and would like to repay that in a meaningful way. As I have with Prema.

Since you mention money... do you accept users' gratitude by way of donation? If yes, why can't I find a link? Is the email in the readme linked to a paypal account?