The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I noticed that some of the latest versions of Windows 10 has a new feature. Various boxes in ThrottleStop will magically disappear.

[​IMG]

If you see this happening, there is nothing I can do about it. ThrottleStop works fine in the official Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update so switch to that if you need ThrottleStop. The picture almost looks like Microsoft is going to start choosing what options you will be allowed to click on. Power Saving - Good, everything else - Bad.

duttyend, Falkentyne, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does that odd bug affects Creators update aka Redstone 2?

3. Serge_raccoon

Serge_raccoon Newbie

Reputations:
    I have my acer nitro v15 for like 10 days and it works dead stable with any sorts of load with -160, daily use, games, prime95 + furmark. system doesnt ignore or reset anything , i set -160 and i see it in hwinfo during the day but once i reboot or put it to sleep its gone, i have to open XTU and reapply settings. it crashes instantly under load with -180 and becomes occasionally unstable with -170. ThrottleStop + task manager keep undervolting just fine but like you said, laptop ignores anything after -120 with TS. What i clearly see is that laptop cooling sys isnt efficient enough for that cpu+gpu, its pretty much flimsy and lightweight imho. with stock paste + voltage and prime + furmark both cpu and gpu hit 97-98 in like 2-3 min and then all the throttling is here. with -160 and conductonaut liquid metal upgrade both are around 83-86 after 30 min of stress testing, stable, no throttling at all. with just prime load on cpu i see 75-77 degrees which is roughly -20 degrees drop with undervolting and liquid metal ! cpu temp diff between -120 and -160 is around 2-3 degrees so id like to undervolt it as low as possible.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Serge_raccoon

Serge_raccoon Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb yes, both hwinfo and TS see the voltage set with XTU, i disabled turbo to avoid those jumps in voltage to see it easily and voltage drops when i go with XTC and just freezes at -120 point when i go with TS. more to say, i double checked that with 3 10 min cpu stress tests and can see 2-3 degrees difference in temp between -120 and -160. i didnt touch any settings in your program, everything is set by default, just checked unlock voltage box, set 250mv range and play within it.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Serge_raccoon - As I said, post some pictures so I can start working on this problem you have found. A 2 or 3 degree difference during a stress test in a laptop is fairly insignificant.

That bug started showing up after the Fall Creator's Update - Redstone 3. I jumped off the fast ring so I do not plan to test Redstone 4 until after it is released. There are a few programs besides ThrottleStop where the check box options have disappeared.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Vasudev and duttyend like this.
  6. Serge_raccoon

Serge_raccoon Newbie

Reputations:
    here you go.

stock_noturbo_idle
    [​IMG]

-120_TS_noturbo_idle

[​IMG]

-160_TS_noturbo_idle

[​IMG]

-160_XTU_noturbo_idle

[​IMG]

Vasudev likes this.
  7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Serge_raccoon - When using ThrottleStop, the CPU Core and CPU Cache have to be set to the same value. Intel XTU sets these equally for you automatically. The advantage ThrottleStop gives you is that with some CPUs, you can set the CPU Cache offset lower than the CPU Core offset for some further power and heat savings. You cannot do that in XTU.

Your third screenshot shows Core at -0.1602 while the Cache is offset to -0.1201. The CPU will ignore this setting because the Cache offset has to be set lower or equal to the Core.

duttyend and Serge_raccoon like this.
  8. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is a popular issue from an excessive undervolt. Do a search and you will find others with aggressively undervolted 7700HQ with same problem.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @pressing - I think that is just an XTU feature. It can take a LONG, LONG time to reapply voltage settings after you boot up or resume. It takes so long sometimes that users think that it is not working. In some cases, maybe it is not working. You can sit and wait for XTU or you can run ThrottleStop. It immediately applies voltage settings upon start or resume. Once he gets TS set up correctly, he should have no problem using the same under volt that XTU sometimes gives him.

Vasudev, duttyend and Serge_raccoon like this.
  10. Serge_raccoon

Serge_raccoon Newbie

Reputations:
    woohooooo !! you are the best ))) Thank you very very much, it works now !

doesnt matter what kind of settings i use with XTU, -50 or -150, most of times it survives reboot but every time i put laptop to sleep or hibernation the voltage is back to stock after wake up. i ive seen ppl solved that with scripts but i just dont want to mess with it. With TS i just need to keep it running in background and it always works fine and with my desired setting achieved its simply the best now !!!

Vasudev likes this.