The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter as the 7700HQ is unstable above -120mv.

Also you may be able to input some outrageous factors into XTU but the system will just ignore them or quickly reset them.

If you do some research on the nbr and Reddit sites for 7700HQ, you will see that stable undervolts rarely get more aggressive than -120mv. Some people try but soon revert to -120mv or -110mv. No way your 7700HQ will be stable on reasonable benchmarks and games for any time. The 7700HQ is an older design that Intel basicly overclocked slightly and renamed for marketing purposes. So voltage & thermal headroom is very low.

With undervolts above say -120mv, you will see system instability, black screens, unexpected errors, factor resetting. I have seen a dozen or so people here with the unexpected behaviour. I experienced it also on the Dell XPS 9560 7700HQ.

Pete Light and Vasudev like this.
  2. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think @Mr. Fox and @Papusan are running with c-states disabled in BIOS. Thus SpeedStep (EIST) and SpeedShift (SST) are both disabled.

Some clues are their prior posts, the fact that the ThrottleStop window does not show "SST" in green, fact that FID are all flat out at 52 and 51 (!), respectively. . .

Papusan, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, I almost always have c-states disabled. I want my CPU to run like a car with a manual transmission. It stays in whatever gear I put it in and remains there until I change it.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So, disabling C states on desktop chips doesn't cause the frequency to lock up at lower frequency like BGA, correct?

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It is if you believe the calendar. Contrary to the belief of some of the natives, it is never winter in Phoenix. At least not based on the weather. They can call it winter all they want to, but I'm sorry... 80°F is NOT winter. Winters here are what I would consider to be a perfect summer, LOL. I really miss everything being frozen for a month or two. That said, my house is climate controlled and 70°F 24/7 * 365.

That's correct. I have been disabling c-states since 2920XM and never had any issue with it being disabled on mobile chips either. But, none of them were BGA. With c-states disabled, there should seldom, if ever, be a lower frequency. It should run at full turbo clocks 24/7, even if CPU usage is 0%. That's one of the reasons I like c-states disabled.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Papusan, pressing and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Climate controlled?
    I thought older XM models were BGA with no limits at all?

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, mobile Extreme processors have never been BGA. Neither were most of the non-Extreme. QM and XM were never soldered filth chips. They started slipping us a mickey with HQ BGA trash during the Haswell era and the dark smelly water has been circling the drain ever since. The better notebooks still had socketed Haswell MQ and MX processors, then after those were gone there were no longer any "better notebooks" made except for Clevo and the lonely little MSI 16L13.

Climate Controlled is a $50 fancy-schmancy word that means the same thing as air conditioned. My air conditioning runs all year. There is never a reason to turn on the heat. It's never cold enough to need it, and when it is colder than 70°F outside (which is unfortunately rare) the air conditioning doesn't turn itself on.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    So electricity will be expensive, correct? If you were in India the AC will be On everyday 24x7 because of high ambient as you are aware of. So, older Alienware still pack quite a pack.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes on the expensive electric bill. We are having solar power installed on our house this week, so that will help offset some of the cost. Yeah, Alienwares packed quite a punch before the BGA days.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Serge_raccoon - When you are under volting with XTU and you set -170 mV, does HWiNFO report that correctly? Does the monitoring panel in the ThrottleStop FIVR window show that correctly? Can you post a screenshot of the ThrottleStop - FIVR window so I can have a look at your settings?

@Papusan - Always great to see a CPU running like Intel intended it to run. All this throttling nonsense was added by Intel to keep individual manufacturers, Intel's corporate customers, happy. Full speed without any throttling or over heating. Amazing what is possible when a device is designed properly.

@Vasudev - TS 8.50 is good until the end of next year so I have plenty of time to work on the next version. The Papusan and Mr. Fox editions are for their personal use. Maybe I will include an option for you so you can change the label on the Stop Data button and call it whatever you like. ThrottleStop has always included a wide variety of features based on user requests. I did not dream all this stuff up by myself.

Papusan, duttyend, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.