The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Timbabs123

Timbabs123 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @unclewebb hey there, I have a query about TS. Anytime I try to change the cache ratio above 36 (which is 3.6ghz) it doesn't register.

I then have to use XTU to do it. How comes this is happening

Vasudev likes this.
  2. artic_squirrel

artic_squirrel Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes when I set Seep Shift to 0, THe Intel Core M3 6Y30 goes to 2,5 GHz.
    Installed the three powerscheme of windows 10 Creator Update. I set the power scheme to highest and the cpu goes to 2,5 GHz. Throttle stop seems inactive still. THe multiplier does not change and whether or not I enable the Speed steps, the frequency changes.
    Here are the pictures

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

ID01 and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can try undervolting and disable BD PROCHOT on AC or performance profile.

ID01 and artic_squirrel like this.
  4. CraftyClown

CraftyClown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

It makes perfect sense that the Generic Microsoft AHCI driver was unable to access the higher package C state, as it's a one size fits all driver designed for maximum compatibility.

Just one question for you @GoNz0 you mention idle wattage of 1.3w when plugged in, but are you saying that was with your package hitting C7 and C8 or without? I only ask as I had noticed that when plugged in my machine is unable to access higher package C States, no matter what power profile I use, whereas @pressing found that his machine can hit C8 even on mains, if he selects the power saver profile. The main difference I can see is that he is using the generic MS driver as opposed to the Intel driver I have installed. Bear in mind this is just for my own curiosity, as if I'm on mains then higher C States are less of a necessity anyway.

duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  5. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am on mains as the laptop lives like that normally, after a reboot and leaving it while I was having something to eat I came back to see it flickering between 0.4 and 1.5
    pulling the plug didn't make any difference but this isn't a sterile test.

I attempted a sterile test by disabling every startup item and service, the result was the laptop boots to the login screen but when you pressed a button no login appeared, and so I restored this morning backup of macrium (fortunately it took under 5 minutes) and called it a day.

FYI I am using the balanced (stock) profile, speedshift enabled.

pressing, Vasudev and CraftyClown like this.
  6. CraftyClown

Reputations:

Thanks for that. That is interesting as 0.4w would certainly mean you were utilising higher C States, however you are on mains.

Like yourself I am on the balanced profile with speedshift enabled, but these higher C States whilst using mains remain elusive for me.

This certainly isn't a problem, but it is a vaguely frustrating head scratcher as it appears something is preventing this functionality on my machine.

pressing likes this.
  7. GoNz0

GoNz0 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Have you tried not letting TS do anything, just as a monitor?
    Aida64 causes my system to idle at 15w

Vasudev and CraftyClown like this.
  8. CraftyClown

Reputations:
    No I haven't but that's a great idea. I'll give that a try this evening. Cheers

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got Package C-States working well by replacing the generic M$ IDE ATA/ATAPI driver with Intel RST 15.8.1.1007 (latest). [EDIT MAY 2018 - THIS STOPPED WORKING AND PACKAGE CSTATES BACK TO C3 MAX]

[EDIT DEC 2018 - TRIED UPDATING DRIVER BY FIRST DELETING DRIVER AND RESTARTING AS INSTRUCTED IN DEVICE MANAGER. GOT STUCK IN BOOTLOOP. RESTARTED IN SAFEMODE AND ORIGINAL M$ DRIVER WAS AUTOMATICALLY PATCHED. THIS IS PROBABLY CRASH GONZO NOTED BELOW]

In Windows Power Options>High Performance & Balanced, Package C States will hit C8 both on mains & on battery. Looking forward to lower power consumption and lower temps!

Draft rundown of basic steps that worked for me (took 3 minutes):

- Downloaded 64-bit file Intel RST (15.8.1.1007) and unzipped (name looks something like f6flpy-x64.zip)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27147/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

-Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller
    -Click on the triange to expose driver (mine was generic M$)
    -Right click driver, click properties, click driver tab
    -Uninstall / update manually pointing to Intel file just unzipped
    -Restart

==>System - Dell XPS 9550 6300HQ, Samsung 850 EVO, SST, ThrottleStop for undervolt

Thanks @Che0063 , @CraftyClown & @GoNz0

Sorry I crashed your system @GoNz0!

Once you enable SpeedShift, SpeedStep seems to be disabled. SpeedStep flags will continue to be lit so there maybe some underhood role we don't see (or that I did not find documented) but from what I have read SpeedShift takes over.

The only way to reenable SpeedStep is to disable SpeedShift (disabling SpeedShift requires restarting the computer).

Some SpeedShift links and highlights in the following thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-xps-speed-shift.796891/

lol - a lot of us have the same problems.

I did a compare of those .txt files just as you expected. Didn't work out but an interesting exercise in any case.

ThrottleStop & LatencyMon have been fantastic tools to help optimize my laptop - it runs superbly now.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  10. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have heard of Latmon, I used it diagnose and force Acer to give me a refund on my previous computer - Those three months of phone calls were exhausting.

But yes, there are plenty of unoptimized drivers on my system - I can't blame Microsoft, really. They provide basic support for a lot of drivers on their newest operating systems, I can't expect them to be tuned for every system. Apple, on the other hand, has no excuse for any bug that comes from their products. They code their software around their hardware (or was it the other way around) and they only have to provide support for a few different hardware configurations.

@CraftyClown

I can confirm that on my CPU Package it does use slightly more power when on AC, 0.1W more. Try using HWInfo>Sensors only to see everything to the thousandth watt.
    upload_2017-11-9_6-42-19.png

On battery, WiFi off, Bluetooth off, no background programs...

duttyend, Vasudev and CraftyClown like this.