The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    These are the instructions sirgeorge posted in the MSI thread for unlocking the MSI bios options.
    He also linked the files, but I can't even upload that here. If you find his post, you can find the link.

Unlike the Dreamonic link you posted, sirgeorge said you use FPT to both dump the APTIO capsule you will edit, and then to 'reflash' it back

---------------------------

1) Make sure your bios is set to disable secure boot.
    2) Get your bios from the MSI website.
    3) Open the downloaded rom using UEFI tool. Click file -> search, search for GUID 899407D7-99FE-43D8-9A21-79EC328CAC21. This will cause a line of text to appear indicating successful search. Double click this line.

Spoiler: Searching
    http://i.imgur.com/9bWhiob.jpg

Spoiler: Double click this
    http://i.imgur.com/J3ETqTA.jpg

4) A DXE driver should now be selected called Setup. Right click and save this.

Spoiler: Saving setup
    http://i.imgur.com/YWhOGab.jpg

5) Use IFR extractor to extract the saved setup.ffs

Spoiler: Extracting
    http://i.imgur.com/IIotQUs.jpg

6) Open the new file generated called setup.txt
    7) Search for 'BIOS Lock', you will come to the line displaying the address of the bit used to store the BIOS lock variable. eg) 0x5AE

Spoiler: Finding bios lock

This is specific to the laptop/bios version so it will vary! Note it down.

Now format a USB using rufus to boot efi using MSR. Extract the second archive in drive to the formatted usb.
    This should result in E:\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi

8) Boot the USB drive, this brings you to RU (it'll be tiny if you're on a 4k laptop)
    9) Click return to escape the menu and do ALT = to bring up search.
    10) Search 'setup'. IF this brings you to a page with only two lines on it this is not the right page, use the PageUp/PageDown keys to get to another page also called 'setup'.
    11) Once on the correct page use CTRL PgDown until you reach your address, eg) 0x5AE for me.
    12) At the address should be 01. Type 00 and write this to the address using CTRL W.

I had to do this several times and kept cycling pages back and forth to make sure it stuck!

------------------------------------------------
    EDIT : ALL OF THE ABOVE IS ONLY FOR TURNING THE BIOS LOCK OPTION TO OFF
    AND THIS IS SYSTEM SPECIFIC. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RTC LOCK.
    if your bios lock option is already off, you can just try starting at step 13 (dump bios with FTP -D, edit with amibcp, reflash with FPT -F).

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT HAVE AMIWINGUIX64 OPEN WHATSOEVER WHEN RUNNING FPT).

13) Once the 0 bit has stuck at your address, reboot and flash your modified bios with FPT -F yourbios.rom -bios

To actually modify your bios dump it in FPT using -D bios.rom -bios. Then open it in AMIBCP. That program is pretty intuitive and allows you access to ALL THE MENU's. To make all menu's accessible click the advanced tab and change all menu's from default to USER.

Overclocking performance menu has many goodies in it
    Spoiler: AMIBCP
    http://i.imgur.com/LRQME21.png

Set the lock to off by default
    Spoiler: BIOSLOCK
    http://i.imgur.com/8HJLtVP.jpg

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Alienware actually hid those entries in separate location in CHipset instead of Advanced. Some values are pretty much different than MSI.

3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Welp, @Vasudev @unclewebb

This thread just turned from a throttlestop thread into a "brick your laptop the easy way" thread.

alexhawker, mkubicki and Vasudev like this.
  4. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    That is on the Alienware R4 , dont think ASUS is doing that signature ******** with their BIOS.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    ASUS on ROG Ryzen or intel build?

6. bloodhawk

bloodhawk Derailer of threads.

Reputations:
    Intel. Boot Guard / Secure Boot is an Intel Implementation.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  7. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

1. Wow, so I know it is not me! Here's how I solved it.
    (You should be concerned, it reduces battery life drastically)

I did a post here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-624 and discussed the issue of C package states.

In short:
    At idle, ,my CPU Cores idle at C7, like they are supposed to.
    Package States used to idle at C2 states. This caused the CPU Package to use 2.4W.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/177819-ahci-link-power-management-enable-hipm-dipm.html
    Use that guide to enable DevSleep. I don't know for sure if it works, but for me the CPU package was allowed to enter C3 state, which dropped the power to 2.1W

Now to the actual fun part:

This issue is caused by a driver, either its Intel's Rapid Storage Technology, ACHI Power management, or some I/O management driver.

I'm sorry, ashamed, and not proud to say that I did in fact have to use a program called Driver Booster. What I did not know previously, is that the normal version doesn't have doesn't update the required driver. You have to get the Pro version. I updated all the drivers and it solved the issue for me.

Here's my results after:
    Normal, Wifi on and connected, C8 enabled..PNG Normal, Wifi on and connected, C8 enabled..PNG
    My Package doesn't use the C7, and Acer disables the C9 and C10 states. What a shame. CPU power consumption is down to 0.4-0.6W

Aeroplane mode on, C8 disabled.PNG

What's particularly interesting is when I put my laptop to aeroplane mode, C8 is disabled and the package moves up to C6 state. It doesn't appear to affect power consumption.

8. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Oh yes and I have one of those Acer laptops - Ridiculously difficult to take apart, 100% locked down BIOS,

Modding the BIOS it is difficult too; Da Vinci Code over at BIOSMODS.com worked on the Aspire VN7 with somebody and the only way they could mod the BIOS was to use an SPI programmer, some clips and something else

In short, you can't mod some BIOSes 'normally'. You have to physically gain access to the BIOS Chip and forcefully apply power/rewrite the chip.

If you have Intel Boot Guard, you can just about forget modding the BIOS. Unless you have your heart set on enabling something. :)

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    It's about time putting up this older post #2658. For all of you who don't read the thread as the Bible as I... Free, does not necessarily mean that someone can't give something back. I would... And I did.
    upload_2017-11-6_10-51-32.png
    TS is one of the most useful tools ever made. Thanks @unclewebb for everything you have done for us all!! The Notebook manufacturers (ODM/OEM's) will continue with all the trick they find in the book... Aka trying to cripple the hardware as much as possible. Therefore, Keep on with your good work:vbthumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  10. Vasudev

Reputations:
    TS simply got me better battery life and performance, the best of both worlds w/o any issues. I'd say, TS is Robin Hood as a savior to remove firmware based limits. All hail Kev!

duttyend likes this.