The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    No worries. You are not the first person to be tricked by that grayed out option. That's bad design on Microsoft's part.

2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ask and Thou shalt receive
    @unclewebb
    @Papusan
    @Prema
    @Mr. Fox

c10.jpg c9_1.jpg c9_2.jpg

duttyend, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Tomatot

Tomatot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for updating your software. What's the point of setting up an expiration date?

4. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sometime the manufacture disables the C States or Limiting the C state to C6 or even C3... I think if all other solutions is failed... your only option is to unlock your BIOS... which is risky but worth it :)

I unlocked my BIOS and I have full control in every single damn thing! and I tweaked every single damn thing! even fan speed I can control it now which is not supported officially at all.
    anyway... my laptop model is in my signature, I will show you a screenshot that I enabled my HQ type CPU till C8! ( I can't go over C8 due to it is the maximum setting in my BIOS) before.. it was C3 only like your situation.
    Untitled.png

This image taken while using Firefox, usually if I keep my PC idle... C8 stats playing around 90~100 % :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    pressing and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Your bios mod is done by Svelt, correct? See this errata file from Intel applies to all Skylake chips. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...s/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-spec-update.pdf
    Anything deeper than C7 will affect PCIe Link speed or might cause PCIe link failure briefly.
    @unclewebb I noticed Tornado edition feels more slick and faster to show up at startup than older OBSIDIAN version? With TS Bench, I didn't notice any increased heat like AVX2 or LinPack.

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  6. leedavid

leedavid Newbie

Reputations:

Hello,
    I am new here, but I would like to help regarding the Apollo Lake topic. I have a Chuwi Surbook running a Celeron N3450. CPU is recognized correctly, however FIVR button is missing (I don't know if it is normal). There is no way to change voltages (my main aim is undervolting).
    Let me know which screenshot you need.
    LD

https://ibb.co/gagWLw
    https://ibb.co/hiNtYG

7. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    Well... I have been using C8 states for over 2 months now... and everything is fine! :) wifi,bluetooth,usb's,GPU [Modified VBIOS], etc... all that is related to PCIe Link is working like a charm.

if you read more carefully.. it says [It may cause this] but it didn't say [It will cause this] ;) it is not confirmed but it happened but I guess not to me ;)

The VBIOS is modified and made by @Dreamonic from http://voltground.com/haven/ , all credits goes to him :) , there was no unlocked VBIOS for my model so.. I contacted him and I provided all the information he needed to be able to make a fully unlocked VBIOS :) after testing, using different kind of settings... when everything got stable and ready to be public he then decided to release it to the public :). Thanks to him... I am the first one who got my Asus ROG Laptop GL552vx with VBIOS unlocked :)

about my BIOS...For your information... because my BIOS file is supported by Aptio FW v5 tool... so it was soo easy to unlock my BIOS menu and everything :) I modded my BIOS through this tool that I mentioned earlier ;)

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  8. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    Maybe he updated the C++ that he is using ? :D

Vasudev likes this.
  9. kwinz

kwinz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Extremely helpful. Thank you!

Vasudev likes this.
  10. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @THEBOSS619 - I think only the low power U series can use C9 and C10 but it still seems that the majority of manufacturers do not enable these or Windows or some other driver is preventing the CPU from using these C States. I am sure it doesn't make a huge difference but for maximizing battery run time, every little bit adds up.

If I ever decide to sell a commercial version of ThrottleStop, I wouldn't make any money if there was a full featured and free version of ThrottleStop readily available. I have no timeline at the moment for a commercial version and it might not ever happen but I like to keep my options open.

Anyway, the recent one day outage was an eye opener. I instantly became the great Satan. For years I have spent my own money buying new hardware for the sole purpose of helping others. I was trying to add Apollo Lake support to ThrottleStop, not for myself, but for another user. I ran into some problems so I ended up being a day late with the new version. The next morning I had a quick look in the forums only to find out that I am nothing but a greedy a__hole. Really? Some folks are mentally ill.

This is kind of like putting Mother Teresa to work polishing your car. Of course you do not have any intention of paying her. You don't give her anything to eat or drink so she ends up passing out from exhaustion. When you go outside and discover that your car is not done, what do you do, you kick her of course. Get UP!!! Work harder. I don't care if you ran out of wax, use your own money to go buy some. I don't want to hear about your miserable life helping others, just get off the ground and finish working on MY car.

The TS Bench has not been updated in ThrottleStop yet. I ran out of time. See the above rant. If you want to take the higher power consumption / higher heat version out for a test drive, send me a message.

Unfortunately, the register used to access the FIVR settings does not exist in Apollo Lake. I do not know of any way to adjust voltage in these CPUs. All you can do with TS is adjust your turbo power limit much higher. This can significantly improve performance but it doesn't give you any way to reduce heat. Thanks for offering to help but at the moment, with no documentation and no hardware, there is nothing I can do.

Not quite yet. :)

encheels, pressing, duttyend and 7 others like this.