The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Beempje - The Turn On - Turn Off button only applies to the Clock Modulation and Set Multiplier features. It dates back to the early days of ThrottleStop when users were too scared to use the program. Some day I plan to move that button and group it with those other settings so it is more logical.

When using ThrottleStop to undervolt, if you clear the Unlock Adjustable Voltage box, this does not automatically reset the CPU voltage. The CPU will be left in its current state. If you want to reset the voltage offset to 0, It is up to you to do this first, before disabling this feature. That is probably why your cache is still undervolted in the screenshot above. Keep an eye on the monitoring table in the upper right corner of the FIVR screen when making adjustments. It is updated in real time so you will know what voltages the CPU is getting.

When I see -125 mV for your cache undervolt, that makes me think that you started ThrottleStop, dragged the CPU Core and CPU Cache sliders all the way to the left and away you went. If that is the case, you need to undervolt in smaller steps and you need to do lots of stability testing along the way. Some CPUs can only be reliably undervolted -40 mV or -50 mV. When testing, don't just run a single game. You need to run a wide range of stability tests to make sure the undervolt you have selected is stable.

A Speed Shift setting on the main screen of 128 is probably going to prevent your CPU from reaching its full potential. It can also lead to instability when you are undervolting. For maximum performance, a Speed Shift - EPP setting of 0 is recommended.

Your CPU supports overclocking which you can enable in the FIVR window. You bought a high performance CPU, Intel built overclocking into your CPU so you might as well use it. Your temperatures seem OK so far. I would overclock first, adjust the voltage and then do some testing. ThrottleStop shows that you can increase each of your Turbo Ratios by +4. When first starting out, you might want to keep it simple. Check the Overclock box and set the 4 different core ratios equally to 39. You can increase the 1 Core Active multiplier as high as 43 but it will take more playing around with voltages to get this stable.

@Vasudev probably doesn't recommend under volting the iGPU for stability reasons. When gaming, I assume your laptop has and is using the Nvidia GPU so under volting the Intel iGPU is probably not going to make a significant difference to power consumption or temperatures. Not worth risking stability.

Vasudev, duttyend and Phoenix like this.
  2. Beempje

Beempje Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi unclewebb, thanks a lot for your extensive reply! Let me go over each of your points.

Yeah I figured this out by the end of my testing. In hindsight this was probably more related to the crashes than the Dell software running in the background. I initially tested using a profile where I had disabled the Ajustable Voltage Box, not noticing that the undervolt was still applied. So effectively I was constantly running with an undervolt during my tests, which is why the crashes occurred every time I ran ThrottleStop.

I did actually start out with a much more conservative undervolt, and built it up (down?) from there. However I did not test the stability of each step using games. My laptop is primarily a development machine, so I tested the undervolts with some heavy compilation tasks and some benchmarks (including the built-in TS bench). When I hit -125mV I figured I was pretty low already, so I didn't try to go any lower. I didn't expect the load for gaming to be heavier than the activities I had tested with, but the higher CPU temperatures (and the crashes I ran into) say otherwise :)

I set the Speed Shift to 128 on purpose, to try and keep the CPU from getting (too) hot. My main purpose of using ThrottleStop was to try and keep the temperatues down (by undervolting), so the machine's fans don't need to kick in as much (since they can be very noisy). It's a laptop with very compact body, so heat can be an issue. I figured if I can lower the voltage a bit, then the CPU won't run as hot, meaning less fan noise. But I'll try a Speed Shift setting of 0, see how that goes.

I'm quite new to overclocking, so I'll have to read up on that first. Last time I overclocked my CPU was my (then new) Pentium 200, so it's been a while ;-) I presume overclocking the CPU will make it run hotter, right? I don't really need higher performance, I'd rather keep the system a bit cooler where possible (as long as it doesn't cost me any performance either). But I'll read up a bit first.

You are correct, for gaming the Nvidia card is used. And thinking about it I see your point, the iGPU isn't really doing any hard work, so no point trying to keep the consumption or temp down. I'll remove the undervolt on the iGPU.

Thanks again for the help guys! Really appreciate it :)

Vasudev and duttyend like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thank you @unclewebb
    @Beempje: There nothing wrong with undervolting iGPU, but the downside is whenever there's a high load on iGPU (Windows UI) it comes with a freebie called "stuttering" wherein the entire system experience strange glitches. XTU does undervolt everything to same value where your undervolt will be unstable because of iGPU. TS is far superior and gives the users the power to disable iGPU undervolting.
    Also, you can tweak Intel Power Balance and set major power distribution to CPU and less to iGPU, so that dGPU can take over that heavy graphics based task from iGPU.

pressing and Beempje like this.
  4. andrer2926

andrer2926 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What are the settings for that? My default is 7 CPU and 11 GPU.

Another question, i am getting a red flag under edp current every few seconds. Is that related to the primary plane power limits values in the TPL window? These are the settings I have Capturar.PNG

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    My sister has the same CPU, so set the CPU to 25 and GPU to 15. Uncheck TDP level control and BD PROCHOT in main window. You can increase the pp0 turbo time limit to 8.

6. andrer2926

andrer2926 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks!
    I will take the opportunity and share the rest of the settings to check if everything is fine :D
    Capturar.PNG Capturar2.PNG Capturar3.PNG

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Potato.UD

Potato.UD Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I'm fairly new to the overclocking/undervolting scene, especially with Throttlestop. I just have a few questions about what you guys would recommend for my processor. My specs are:
    Intel i7 6500u
    Intel 520
    As you can tell, I run on a potato more or less. Which was why I wanted to upgrade the performance of my laptop for gaming. If you guys could give me suggestions for what to select, disable, and values for certain things that'd be great. If I'm looking in the wrong place, maybe a link or such to help me find what I need would be just as helpful.

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    On my sis's lap, powercut doesn't work most of the time, so I disabled it because if something goes wrong when I am not at home. Better safe than sorry.
    On battery you can go upto 70-80mV without Turbo.

9. Shinit

Shinit Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

hi guys, i have i7 4700mq, can somebody tell me the best settings to undervolt this cpu? i wanna undervolt to the max, to see if i can get away from the 90º on full load, cus at 92 it starts thermal throttling, is there any way to raise the thermal throttle limit? to like 95 or something i know intel mobile cpus can reach 100º safely. so if anyone could help me it will be nice

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  10. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

Could you give some ThrottleStop guidance for the recent Dell XPS laptops (say 6300HQ & 7700HQ).

For "Intel Power Balance" option in the TPL screen, how would one shift resources principally to "Intel CPU" and reduce resources to "Intel GPU"?

On my 6300HQ, in TPL screen, I checked "Intel Power Balance [0...31]", then set "Intel CPU" 31 & "Intel GPU" 13. Those settings were based on comments above by @Vasudev 's sister

Will that boost CPU performance for Skylake & Kaby Lake processors?

Vasudev likes this.