The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    On my sis's lap, powercut doesn't work most of the time, so I disabled it because if something goes wrong when I am not at home. Better safe than sorry.
    On battery you can go upto 70-80mV without Turbo.

2. Shinit

Shinit Newbie

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

hi guys, i have i7 4700mq, can somebody tell me the best settings to undervolt this cpu? i wanna undervolt to the max, to see if i can get away from the 90º on full load, cus at 92 it starts thermal throttling, is there any way to raise the thermal throttle limit? to like 95 or something i know intel mobile cpus can reach 100º safely. so if anyone could help me it will be nice

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  3. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @unclewebb

Could you give some ThrottleStop guidance for the recent Dell XPS laptops (say 6300HQ & 7700HQ).

For "Intel Power Balance" option in the TPL screen, how would one shift resources principally to "Intel CPU" and reduce resources to "Intel GPU"?

On my 6300HQ, in TPL screen, I checked "Intel Power Balance [0...31]", then set "Intel CPU" 31 & "Intel GPU" 13. Those settings were based on comments above by @Vasudev 's sister

Will that boost CPU performance for Skylake & Kaby Lake processors?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah Intel Power Balance works on those CPUs too, I have 6700HQ and couple of days ago tweaked my cousin's laptop with 7700HQ with same settings. I prefer to keep similar settings on all CPUs that works 99% all the time.

pressing likes this.
  5. LAPTOPBIOS

LAPTOPBIOS Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm very new to the throttling scene.

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion - 15-cc521tx
    GTX 940mx
    7th Gen i5-7200U
    8gb DDR4

It's a meh laptop, I got it for video rendering for my Year 12 VCE Subject, Media Studies (Australia ****). I tried running games such as the witcher 3 at ultra textures med everything else, it ran ok @720p, at around 30fps. This is good enough for me but around 30 seconds in my framerate dropped to around 3fps. I looked this up and intially thought my laptop was suffering from thermal throttling. After I heard this I went onto HP's website and got the specific drivers for my model laptop. But even with BIOS and thermal framework driver updates I still suffered this. I was thinking of getting a laptop cooling pad but Throttlestop is telling me that the limit reasons aren't thermal but: 'BD PROCHOT' 'EPD OTHER' and 'PL 1'. as far as I know this is something to do with the amount of electricity being pumped into the cpu and gpu. Could anyone clarify what these limit reasons are and how I can get around this. My rendering work is also suffering from this throttling, so any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry about the unprofessional information, I'm very new to this area of computer science

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Put up HWINFO sensors screenshot when doing a rendering.
    Try unchecking BDPROCHOT and see if it fixes the early firmware based throttling.

7. wolf0911

wolf0911 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!
    Thanks to Author for the Programm.
    I currently own a Lenovo Y700-15isk which is Thermal Throttling at 67°C GPU Temperature.
    So i have looked into the Problem, removed the Dust Filter from the button which brought the Temp down around 5-8°, elevated the Notebook for proper Airflow and repasted wich Activ Silver 5 Thermal Paste.
    As i want to get Maximum Performance for Games i also overlocked the GPU and mem (+135, +610).
    Then i tried Throttlestop to bring the Temps even more down but im not too sure about the correct Settings and everything.
    Also does this even make sense what im doing?
    Overclocking the GPU (external) and undervolting (internal, CPU, Cache) at the same time?
    Any hints how to correctly set this up would be appreciated.
    I think disable Turbo Boost did bring the temps downn but is this really worth the Performance loss? my CPU is a i5- 6300HQ
    Im playing CPU and GPU heavy games like ESO, BF1 etc. running the latest Windows 10 Build with Game Mode activated in Games.
    Does Game mode conflict with Throttlestop in any way?=

thanks
    wolf

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Use this link to get a good paste from those list, choose whichever paste that fits your budget. AS 5 not so good on laptop TBH.

9. LAPTOPBIOS

LAPTOPBIOS Newbie

Reputations:
    Unchecking BDPROCHOT fixed FPS issues but the throttling soon kicked back in
    https://imgur.com/a/sEwnO
    my temps aren't even reaching 70C, what's going on?

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do you mean stuttering or throttling? What's your undervolt settings? Download latest drivers from Intel and nvidia, use control panel to uninstall them and run DDU in safe to clear intel and nvidia driver by Choosing Clean and don not restart.