The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @unclewebb when I use manual (override) Vcore on my MSI GT73VR, it runs full speed all the time and does not downclock at all. I just started using manual vcore yesterday.
    Setting speed shift to 0 or 255 makes no difference (yes it's in green SST).

Manual voltage itself works better and is actually more stable AND uses less heat if you use a small amount of LLC (called AC loadline and DC loadline in the Bios, in mOhm (what's this?). 25/25 worked fine so I set it to 10/10 which ran even cooler.

With Adaptive voltage, speedshift works perfectly.
    I switched to override manual because the power draw is VERY whacky with adaptive while being less stable to boot unless LLC is set to "auto", then adaptive is stable but the power draw and heat is sky high (the VID shown in HWinfo and Throttlestop seems to be completely wrong as the "VID" is lower (1.1v) yet draws a lot more heat. But as @sirgeorge found out, LLC at auto acts weird and draws absurd amounts of power.

I set 1140mv, 10 mohm AC loadline, 10 mohm DC loadline, and the vcore is 1.14 idle, 1.17v in Prime95 (avx disabled) while running COOLER and more stable than Adaptive with auto LLC (which showed 1.12v but ran much hotter!).

But speedshift doesn't seem to do anything with manual override...system runs full speed all the time. I can force downclock by lowering the max speedshift multiplier (e.g. min/max=8 forces 800 mhz) but this is not automatic....

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    duttyend, Vasudev and pressing like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you want a tray icon then un-check No notification Area Icon.
    @unclewebb On W10 Creators and above a startup task would run successful or triggered when user selects Run only When logged in and Start a Task at Log on instead of When Computer Start.
    Tray icon didn't disappear after cleaning Icon cache. +rep added!.

duttyend likes this.
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Falkentyne - Thanks for the info. On my Asus desktop board, manual voltage and Speed Shift work OK together.

[​IMG]

Using a Speed Shift setting of 64 drops the MHz when lightly loaded while CPU-Z reports the same fixed voltage (1.15V) regardless of MHz. The reported VID is lower but this information is being ignored by the CPU. The fixed voltage setting in the bios is in charge of the voltage.

I do not have any experience playing around with load line settings.

Are you using Adaptive and Static (Fixed) voltage in ThrottleStop or are you doing both of these voltage adjustments in the bios?

Does CPU-Z or any other software report the correct voltage on your motherboard? On some boards if the actual voltage cannot be read correctly then CPU-Z will switch over and report the VID voltage instead. Not sure what other monitoring utilities are doing.

Edit - Are you using the Core C7 C States? Usually this can help keep power consumption and heat down when lightly loaded even at full MHz but on your board this might be ignored.

duttyend, Falkentyne and Vasudev like this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good morning @unclewebb
    Using manual override voltage settings in the Bios (unlocked Bios; would not be accessible otherwise).

I only had unlock adjustable in throttlestop for CPU cache so I could set the cache ratio 3 lower than the multiplier (it says static 0.0000v so its not being overriden). But disabling that makes no difference.

BTW
    Going into throttlestop, going to unlock adjustable voltage, setting it to adaptive there, then Speed shift works perfectly and downclocks perfectly (SST=0=full speed, SST=255 heavy downclocks). It just refuses to work if static is enabled.

I have speedshift disabled in the unlocked Bios. I have not tested enabling it within the bios to see if this changes this strange behavior (I'll try that later).

This seems like a bios or design issue, not throttlestop.

*Edit* Set speed shift to enabled in the Bios. No change.

*Edit* All of the C states are enabled. They were never touched. I did unlock "CFG Lock" but I dont know what that does. One of your old posts says something like "Package C-state limit-locked", which that seems to remove. Don't know how to make any use of that.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  5. Sptz

Sptz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the tips!

Regarding the startup issues, I'm not sure if it was a Windows 10 update or not but it used to work perfectly, it just started the process and that's it, no tray icon, no taskbar icon. I just did everything you told me and it's not working... really weird, I'm gonna do some further testing and check back in.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Sptz - I created a folder for all of the ThrottleStop files called C:\Program Files (x86)\ThrottleStop

I can then run ThrottleStop.exe while in my account, get everything setup correctly and then I can use the Task Scheduler to auto start ThrottleStop.exe

Depending on what options I select, ThrottleStop.exe will either run within my account and create a system tray icon or it can run in the background with no icon and no access to the GUI like you used to have. I just tested this while running the latest version of Windows 10 and this continues to work 100% correctly. If you are still having problems, delete the task you created and create a new one. Follow this guide exactly.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-514

7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I didn't know TS can work like that. That explains it whilst following your guide I happen to notice TS process in task manager but no icons in tray, so I thought it was a Zombie process that Windows created.
    One thing I want to bring it to notice was, whenever I select AMD GPU in Options it simply turns gray whereas nvidia GPU doesn't. I'm talking about laptop with switchable GFX from AMD. Any ideas?

8. Beempje

Beempje Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I've been playing around with ThrottleStop (great work btw unclewebb!) since I got my new laptop last week (Dell Precision 5520, if that's relevant). I've been using TS to undervolt my CPU, to keep it cool(er) and keep the fans quiet.

But I'm having some trouble understanding what the Turn On/Off button actually does. Or rather, it seems like TrottleStop is always on, even when it should be off. I tried booting fresh (power down completely) with TS disabled. When I start TS the taskbar icon is green, meaning it should be off (right?) and monitoring only. However when I open TS and select a profile, I can see my CPU speeds responding to it, even though I haven't touched the Turn On button yet. Can anyone shed some light on what exactly the On/Off button does/doesn't control?

Another issue I'm having is when playing a game (Cities: Skylines). When I run TS in the background, even with voltage settings at default, my entire system freezes and reboots when the temperature of the CPU and GPU get to 70-75C. As soon as I hear the fans kick into high gear the system crashes. When I run the game without TS everything seems to run fine, albeit somewhat hot. I initially thought maybe the CPU needed more power than I was letting it have (because of the undervolting), but if I look at the logs the package power right before the crash is only around 11-12W. And even when I run a profile with voltage settings at default, the crash occurs. It can't be the temperatures either, since it runs fine without TS.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Please provide the CPU specs? Is it ULV chip?

10. Beempje

Beempje Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh right, sorry. The CPU is an Intel i7-7820HQ.

Vasudev likes this.