The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Nice, how far can it undervolt?

2. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have not tried it because it is a work laptop lol. By the way I am noticing the Limit Reason is in constant EDP Other (Yellow Color) but the actual cpu is not really throttling.

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity, I used Intel XTU and set the maximum multiplier to 28 and there wasn't anything that ThrottleStop could do about it. XTU changes the multiplier value in two locations and ThrottleStop does not have access to the Memory Mapped IO setting. When this is set to 28 (0x1C), the CPU is stuck at 28.

[​IMG]

MAX PERF is shown in Limit Reasons which confirms that the maximum multiplier is being limited by this setting. When I first boot up, this memory location is usually set to 0xFF, which basically means that it will not interfere with the maximum multiplier.

[​IMG]

No more MAX PERF in red. If anyone has a laptop or tablet that is showing MAX PERF, adjusting this memory location (FED15990) might be a way to fix it so the CPU can truly achieve maximum performance. The memory location beside it, (FED15994) controls the maximum Intel GPU multiplier.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    hmscott, pressing and Vasudev like this.
  4. plee82

Reputations:
    Very weird, the moment I put load on the cpu EDP Other gets cleared. The moment the CPU goes idle, EDP Other shows up.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for that. I just checked mine, it showed 0xFF. Any idea to find a firmware based hard limit imposed by OEM on a specific register or memory address?
    I read through some of the errata documented in skylake platform, for BGA intel showed a bug in sleep states like c6/c10 wherein the PC refuses to bootup after entering that state, for the fix they said it can patched through a BIOS update. How is this possible? Why can't Intel fix those at the factory or by supplying microcode update directly to end users using some kind of update mechanism.

duttyend and hmscott like this.
  6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Intel does not publicly document what Other in EDP Other could possibly stand for. The Limit Reasons data is more useful when you have a load on your CPU and are trying to find out why it is throttling. Idle Limit Reasons data or yellow boxes in Limit Reasons just after booting up or resuming from stand by are not that important.

Probably not. These are secrets that most companies have no reason to share.

Intel prefers to do microcode updates via the bios. This way it doesn't matter what operating system you are running, the errata will be taken care of before any version of Windows or Linux starts. The long list of known flaws in every Intel CPU ever released is a mystery to most consumers. I always wonder what the unknown flaws are. Some of these bugs get patched while most seem to be ignored. Anyone interested in learning more about errata can download a Spec Update document from Intel. Here is one that covers some of the bugs in a 4th Gen Desktop CPU.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...-core-family-desktop-specification-update.pdf

duttyend, hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  7. plee82

Reputations:
    The Other EDP yellow box on idle is undeletable. I cannot clear it lol when on idle because it appears right away. The moment I put load on the CPU with TS Bench, EDP Other is clearable and stays off until benchmark ends.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  8. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone played around with the new 8th Gen quadcore cpu's? I wonder if TS supports these CPU's. I've got a Dell Inspiron 7000 on the way with an i7 8550u in it. I'll be firing up throttlestop to see if it works, if not i'll have to donate some more money to get support =)

9. unclewebb

Reputations:
    The Core i7-8550U has a very similar CPUID to the previous generation so ThrottleStop 8.48 should recognize it and work correctly. You can save your money for the 9th Generation. :)

Post some TS pics when you get your new toy so I can make sure everything is OK.

duttyend, Wormwood, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  10. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    So just wanted to say unclewebb you rock, I wanted to send a donation your way, but I see your PayPal link is gone.

I was having an issue after a x99m BIOS flash, and my 5820k was stuck at a 2.7GHz throttle limit due to PPL1, XTU didn't do s*** - but good lord in heaven did ThrottleStop save me!

Thanks again. 150W max set, and no throttling here!!

unclewebb and Vasudev like this.