The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Tomatot

Tomatot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have to say I feel very bad... I think it was the issue. I fixed it so I'll let you know if your solution works. It's very possible. Sorry for wasting your time.

2. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @Vasudev - If ThrottleStop is showing up in the Task Manager then check the Triggers tab in the Task Scheduler. You only want ThrottleStop to start when you log on. If you have TS starting before you log on, you will not be able to access it in the system tray. If you are still having problems, post some screenshots of how you have the Task Scheduler setup.

[​IMG]

No problem. I always learn from other users and their experiences with ThrottleStop. I should write some code so a task is added to the Task Scheduler with a simple check box in ThrottleStop. That would make it a lot more fool proof. I am not a big fan of Microsoft's decision to make that the default option and then have it grayed out so it looks like it doesn't apply.

alexhawker, duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  3. Tomatot

Tomatot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    " I am not a big fan of Microsoft's decision to make that the default option and then have it grayed out so it looks like it doesn't apply."

Yeah that's really stupid, in a lot of other apps when it's grayed, what's inside doesn't matter.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yep that worked. Thanks. +rep added.
    Your guide needs to be updated. Creating a task when computer starts no longer works. The task works only when a user chooses "Start app when logged in". We may be seeing future windows releases using this. The option start task when PC starts used to work on Anniversary and earlier OS releases. I hope Power throttling won't conflict with TS's Intel SST and break good old app. I am relying on Phoenix's experience about RS3 and later. If its bad, I am freezing Windows Version to Creators on all my PCs until the end of its lifecycle.
    Did you get any word of Power Throttling affecting TS's functionalities from Windows Insiders?

duttyend likes this.
  5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I will have a look at that in the next day or two. I try to wait for the official releases in case Microsoft changes their mind.

No one has said anything to me about this. It is another thing I need to look into. Thanks for the feedback. Now that the WinRing0 issue seems to be fixed, I can get back to work on TS this week.

duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  6. kakashidinho

kakashidinho Newbie

Reputations:
    Damn, I found out why my turbo ratio sometimes is only 28. I used HWiNFO to monitor the summary of processor. Normally the cpu should have turbo feature enabled (green).
    [​IMG]

When I started prime95, suddenly the turbo feature became red. Looks like bios or Windows did something to the cpu.
    [​IMG]

But why is it happening now. In the past it rarely happened, I was able to test prime95 at full turbo speed

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Check for any BIOS update or check BIOS settings if you have disabled Turbo.

8. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @kakashidinho - This is the ThrottleStop thread. Why not post some pictures of ThrottleStop? Some laptops when pushed hard will deliberately disable Turbo Boost. ThrottleStop might be able to help with this problem if it is setup correctly.

Your 7th Gen processor supports Speed Shift. Have you ever tried using ThrottleStop to enable it? I would do that, I would go back to the main screen and check the Speed Shift - EPP box and I would set that to 0 for maximum performance. Make sure it shows SST in green which confirms that Speed Shift is enabled. I would also make sure that Disable Turbo and BD PROCHOT are not checked. After that, go run a stress test and if your CPU is throttling, post a picture of ThrottleStop. Include Limit Reasons in your screenshot.

duttyend, Vasudev and Falkentyne like this.
  9. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For an interesting primier Intel Turbo Boost Technology, please see the five-page article in the August 2017 edition of CPU magazine, "State-of-the-Art-Standards, Intel Turbo Boost Technology". It touches on multi-cores, turbo evolution, turbo limits, c-states, and the newer Turbo Boost Max 3.0.

https://www.computerpoweruser.com/a...he-art-standards-intel-turbo-boost-technology

Hardcopies were free at the local MicroCenter. I picked up several issues and enjoyed reading them. Forgot how much I like tearing through a magazine from cover to cover. I assumed this magazine was purely "sponsored advertisements" but there are plenty of products rated poorly; the Intel 7740x received a terrible review along with a brutal 2.0/5.0 rating.

openglcg, duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  10. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got a Lenovo P50 from work with a 6700 HQ. This laptop has Speed Shift enabled by default. Looks like Windows Balanced Profile uses EPP 127 instead of 128. High Performance uses EPP 0.