The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @plee82 - Some laptops use BD PROCHOT which forces the CPU to run like an 800 MHz slug when on battery power. I would feel ripped off if my shiny new laptop was slower than a 10 year old laptop that was sitting in the closet collecting dust.

@link626 - Intel designs their CPUs so they use as much turbo boost as possible, all of the time. I like that feature. Is there anyway you can improve your cooling? That is the real problem. If not then click on the FIVR button and try lowering the Turbo Ratio Limits a few notches. If your turbo power limits are unlocked, reducing the PL1 limit should prevent your CPU from running continuously at its full 100°C rated temperature.

pressing and Vasudev like this.
  2. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It goes BD Prochot for like 0.5sec when I unplugged and goes back up to full performance.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    in FIVR, reset turbo button does not work.
    I have to manually reset each multiplier.

Is this a bug?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've seen some cases where changing the 4 multipliers to the same value and hitting "apply" doesn't set the full speed bin, but instead sets it lower than it should be. This usually happens when going from a higher multiplier to a lower one then trying to go back to a higher one. I think some limit is being set in a MSR that is overwriting Throttlestop attempt.

To avoid this problem, uncheck "overclock" tab, change the multipliers, re-check overclock tab again, then hit apply. This has always worked.

5. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Yes.

I did not know how to read the default multipliers from the CPU when I originally wrote the FIVR code. I am still not 100% sure. I do not have access to any relevant documentation from Intel. This is why the Reset Turbo feature was never finished. This is not really an end of the world kind of bug but it is a bug and I will try to remember to get this fixed up for the next release.

@plee82 - Dell used to use Clock Modulation throttling on many of their laptops when a user switched from AC to DC. Pulling the plug while running Prime95 would be pretty harsh on a battery so some built in throttling during this transition is probably a good thing. Temporary use of BD PROCHOT to slow the CPU down is OK but I think some manufacturers "forget" to disable BD PROCHOT so the CPU is left stuck at 800 MHz indefinitely. That's not good but it can be easily fixed by using ThrottleStop.

duttyend and Vasudev like this.
  6. Tomatot

Tomatot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-353#post-10086507

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-353#post-10086826

Hi, I still have this bug. Not every time but randomly, when i unplugged my computer, I see the icon in the icon tray sticking to "1" (when it's supposed to switch to 2), and when I get nearby it, it disappears. Then I can start again ThrottleStop and it goes to my profile 2. So it's exactly the bug the guy was having 2 years ago.

I have a Dell XPS 13 with these specs : i5 6200U, 8GB, 256GB, Full HD. I'm running Windows 10.
    Here's my ThrottleStop config : https://pastebin.com/iVMnSr57

+ Screenshots :
    http://prntscr.com/gkep5j
    http://prntscr.com/gkepci

By the way, I've discovered this program only a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. It's an amazing job, so thanks a lot.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  7. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @Tomatot - I think I found the main source of ThrottleStop's icon issues. I have been programming with a very old version of Visual C++ from the 1990s so I have no one to blame but myself. I should have updated years ago. The icons being created are not fully compatible with Windows 7, 8 or 10. I am in the process of switching to a much newer version of Visual Studio so these long time icon issues should finally go away.

In the mean time, try cleaning the WIndows Icon Cache as explained here.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-clean-notification-area-icon-cache

Download and run the .bat file from that site. This is mentioned in the ReadMe file that is in the ThrottleStop folder. I am using Windows 10 and my icon and profile are switching back and forth between 1 and 2 when I switch from AC to battery power without any issues.

Almost fall here. Once I get all the yard work done and watch some playoff baseball, I will have more time for TS.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. That will help get me back working on project TS. :vbthumbsup:

alexhawker, t456, duttyend and 2 others like this.
  8. Tomatot

Tomatot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've already done that a few times. It helped a bit for general problems related to the icon but not with the specific bug I mentionned. It's not a big deal anyway.

Acknowledgment is the least I can do :D

Vasudev likes this.
  9. duttyend

duttyend Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dear unclewebb,

Thank you so much, once again, for this wonderful app !

I have a question related to Speed Shift - EPP on Skylake core i5.
    I thought that ticking TPL -> Miscellaneous -> Speed Shift + Enable Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts was enough but, today, I also ticked on the main screen -> Settings -> Speed Shift - EPP and I think my cpu behavior has changed and is snappier (but may be due to the FIVR -> Cache ratio minimum value that I restored to stock).

Was it enabled before today or was it required to tick the option on the main screen also ?

Thanks a lot and have a great day !

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    @duttyend - If you have enabled Speed Shift and SST is showing in green on the main screen, you have to also check the SST - EPP box and set that appropriately. If you do not check this box, Speed Shift will still be enabled but the CPU will not know if you want maximum performance, EPP = 0, or typical performance EPP = 128, or run like a dog tied to a tree performance with EPP = 255. Best to specifically set this value so the CPU does exactly what you want it to do. The default seems to be 128 so you probably have not been tied to a tree. The present EPP value is always reported in the monitoring panel in the upper right corner of the FIVR window.

@Tomatot - Just curious, have you been using any scripts to kill ThrottleStop.exe and then restart it? These scripts can lead to ghost icons in the system tray that disappear as soon as you mouse over them. Usually after I do a clear icon cache, I don't have any icon related issues. I am hoping that the next version cures some of ThrottleStop's random issues.

Vasudev and duttyend like this.