The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Time to kill a day or two or three and try to find out what is going on with ThrottleStop and WinRing0.

Edit - I found a trick. I cobbled together some code so double clicking on the ThrottleStop icon will first start Open Hardware Monitor quietly in the background, ThrottleStop will then be able to open up the WinRing0 library and after that, TS will tell Open Hardware Monitor to close and most users will barely notice what quietly just happened. :)

Don't tell Microsoft! Maybe this trick will keep TS going for another few months.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    hmscott, alexhawker, Vasudev and 8 others like this.
  2. keshavmot2

keshavmot2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome! Do you have plans of releasing this code anytime soon?

Thanks for all your help!

hmscott likes this.
  3. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Nope. It will probably be a few weeks or a month before TS is ready for the next release. At the moment, the code for TS is a mess. A few months ago I started moving some things around and adding some new features and then I decided to take a break. My memory is terrible so it will be a while before I remember what I was working on and get back up to speed. I also plan to switch TS over to a much newer version of Visual Studio. I would like to get that sorted out before the next release.

4. Wormwood

Wormwood Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you think there will be a new release by the time the current one expires?

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  5. j95

j95 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Copy both TS & OHWM (openhardwaremonitor-v0.8.0-beta sub-folder) to the root of C drive, then copy task.bat to C:\ThrottleStop

Code:
    @echo off
    start /min "" "C:\OpenHardwareMonitor\OpenHardwareMonitor.exe"
    timeout /T 2
    start "" "C:\ThrottleStop\ThrottleStop.exe"
    timeout /T 2
    taskkill /F /IM OpenHardwareMonitor.exe
    exit

Task scheduler -> Action -> cmd.exe -> Arguments -> /c start /min C:\ThrottleStop\Task.bat ^& exit.

....or just import Task (ThrottleStop.xml).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    alexhawker and unclewebb like this.
  6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    I sure hope so. Hopefully sooner. Too many complaints when I am late with a new version.

@j95 - I love simple solutions. :vbthumbsup:

hmscott, Vasudev, j95 and 1 other person like this.
  7. psyke83

psyke83 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, but this isn't guaranteed to work if you're dealing with a laptop with a mechanical HDD that takes ages to boot. This is more reliable:

Code:
    @echo off

taskkill /F /IM ThrottleStop.exe
    start /min "" "C:\Storage\Software\OpenHardwareMonitor\OpenHardwareMonitor.exe"

:loop
    timeout /t 2 /nobreak > nul
    driverquery | find "WinRing0" >nul
    if %errorlevel% neq 0 (
        goto loop
    )

start "" "C:\Storage\Software\ThrottleStop\ThrottleStop.exe"
    timeout /t 10 /nobreak > nul
    taskkill /F /IM OpenHardwareMonitor.exe

exit

I scheduled the task to only run when the user is logged in, and triggered to run on user login trigger and on event:
    Log: System
    Source: Power-Troubleshooter
    Event ID: 1

That will trigger on sleep/wake cycles. To be safe, the script deliberately kills ThrottleStop before relaunching to avoid multiple instances, but you can do a check at the beginning of the script just to see if ThrottleStop is an active process and skip the whole thing if you want...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  8. kakashidinho

kakashidinho Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I have some problems with wrong Turbo Ratio Limit settings after waking up from sleep. I have 7700HQ and 2 profiles:
    - profile 1: max 4 cores turbo ratio is 28
    - profile 2: max 4 cores turbo ratio is 34
    After i put my laptop to sleep and then waking up, despite ThrottleStop displaying current profile was 2, it used the turbo ratio settings of 1 (i.e. max 28 ratio for 4 cores). I had to manually switch to profile 1 then back to 2, then the turbo ratio was back to be correct.

P/S: I already used a script to kill and restart TS after waking up from sleep.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably your computer Bios doing that. Throttlestop can't do anything if your Bios changes settings by itself. Sounds like the Bios turns off turbo boost if the computer goes into sleep. Or maybe it refreshes and read its internal settings. Have you tried changing it in the Bios to check that?

For example if you used XTU and set the max 4 cores to 28, with TS still open, TS won't magically change it back to 34.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Check profile settings on AC and battery in options. You must have set it to 1 for AC and battery which is the default value.