The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. zainsy

zainsy Newbie

Reputations:
    so guys
    core i5 4200U

undervolted cash and cpu to 50mv
    gpu 70 mv
    gpu2cpu 7 ( i have dedicated amd gpu so i don't need intel igpu in gaming)

playing cs go and in 15 minutes power limit throttle kicks in
    the package tdp is under 15 W
    why da hell does this happen any tips?

2. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Because it's an ultra low voltage chip.

unclewebb likes this.
  3. zainsy

zainsy Newbie

Reputations:
    is there a way to jump over this limitation ?

4. keshavmot2

keshavmot2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @unclewebb
    Is it possible to extract the winring0.dll driver from Open Hardware Monitor and put it in the Throttlestop folder so I don't have to run OHM on the Insider builds to open TS?

Thanks for all of your hard work!

5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    @unclewebb - any chance this can be used for something like Ryzen or TR, or do you have a recommendation for looking for throttling on those platforms?

6. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @HTWingNut - In the TPL window, try enabling and adjusting the Intel Power Balance feature so the Intel GPU gets more of the power budget than the Intel CPU. I have had zero hands on time with an Atom x7-Z8750 so I am not sure what is possible.
    Some manufacturers force their U CPUs to go into cTDP down mode so the TDP power limit will drop down to 10 Watts or maybe only 7.5 Watts. A lot of times this is totally unnecessary but they do it anyhow and there is nothing a user can do about this. It is too late for you but my recommendation for others is if you buy a low power U CPU, run it into the ground day one and if it is not fit for your purpose, take it back immediately. I was getting 28 Watts out of my wife's U CPU so a low power U does not have to be a miserable experience. It all depends on the individual manufacturer. A U CPU can be brutally sluggish and close to unusable for anything beyond surfing the net or it can run like this 7500U. Definitely no complaints here.

[​IMG]

@keshavmot2 - Open Hardware Monitor has wrapped the WinRing0 driver within their OpenHardwareMonitorLib.dll
    Windows 10 Build 16273 does not like the WInRing0 driver that ThrottleStop is using so switching over to the OpenHardwareMonitorLib.dll is a possibility but a month from now, Microsoft might decide that they do not like the Open Hardware Monitor driver either and will block that too. I have got a feeling that Microsoft really does not want individual programmers like myself being able to control CPU voltages, etc. Their friends at Intel have probably been twisting their arm for years about this security risk so MS is finally cracking down.

At the moment, I do not plan to do anything about this problem. I really do not need the new Emoji Bot or the new Bahnschrift font that Build 16273 brings to the table so I am in no hurry to upgrade to this.

@psyke83 - Thanks for finding the Open Hardware Monitor trick.
    I am sure Microsoft appreciates your work as much as Intel appreciates my work. :D

@ajc9988 - ThrottleStop will never support Ryzen CPUs.

7. keshavmot2

keshavmot2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If there is a possibility to fix it, at least for the time being, we would really appreciate it as this will affect all users who update even in the normal ring soon enough.
    I really appreciate all of your hard work, and if you can't do it, I totally understand. If there is a way I could replace the driver myself or something, I am willing to do that also if guided.

8. plee82

plee82 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How is XTU getting away with this then? There is nothing safe in XTU compared to TS. Freaking control freaks.

9. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    @keshavmot2 - There is no possibility that this is going to be fixed anytime soon. Using the Open Hardware Monitor driver is one possibility but I would be required to release all source code for ThrottleStop as open source which I am not willing to do at the moment.

Intel's pockets are quite a bit deeper than my pockets. They can afford their own drivers. This is all about squeezing individual developers out of the picture in the name of improving security. If I wasn't the one being squeezed out, I would be all for improved security.

duttyend likes this.
  10. mbze430

mbze430 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    any known issues with Throttlestop with Windows 10 16278.rs3? Keep getting error message can't load WinRing0.dll since the last Fast Ring update