The ThrottleStop Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by unclewebb, Nov 7, 2010.

1. methyn

methyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I undervolt it to -50mv and my cpu is 4720hq. I dont understand why it is not working with the new version TS. Version 6.0 is working fine... Maybe it is about the windows version.
    Thanks.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Its best that you ask @judal57 about that processor 4720HQ, it gets hot. He can tell you how to repad,repaste and some mods to fix your CPU.
    @judal57 is using latest TS. Maybe you need to delete ini file in TS and start over.

methyn likes this.
  3. Outofnames

Outofnames Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Lenovo G50-80 which has an i7-5500u and an AMD r5 m330 GPU. My issue is that I had to disable the r5 m330 permanently as it was degraded from an overclock I had and would frequently freeze games.

Now this isn't an issue because the Intel HD 5500 has the same or slightly better performance as the dedicated GPU on my games. Also, the CPU temperatures have been reduced.

I enabled Powercut in Throttlestop because the 15 watt limit basically reduces iGPU performance by around 40% after 5-10 seconds of gaming and I was wondering if it's okay to keep Powercut running with maximum CPU temperatures of ~60*C (I applied Kryonaut thermal paste) and the laptop connected to the AC adapter.

Thanks in advance.

4. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ugh I HATE it when the iGPU has better performance than the dGPU - What's the point of having it anyway? That happened to my old laptop (which I hated, found an issue with it and asked acer 4 times to give me a refund, spent 3 entire months on that.)

Anyway a maximum CPU temperature of 60C for a laptop is more than acceptable - It is fantastic. Leave powercut enabled, I'd say

BTW if you want better iGPU performance, get dual channel memory. It might not improve day to day tasks, but you will notice a huge improvement in iGPU games. This is from previous experience :)

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Even I have the same issue, r5 330m is giving terrible performance. What was the voltage was it 1.5v?

6. Outofnames

Outofnames Newbie

Reputations:
    The laptop is already upgraded with dual channel memory so I'm maxed out in performance. Thanks for the input.

I assume that's VCCIN voltage? I randomly tried 1.7v which seems to be ~0.65v above turbo boost voltage, my CPU is undervolted with a 80mv offset. If that's GPU voltage, then this laptop has no voltage control on the GPU and I don't think a GPU runs at 1.5v anyway. :p

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd doubt that a modern GPU will run at 1.5v, especially on a mobile system. My 945M runs at 1.0X volts (Which according to Passmark has triple the performance of your M330 :p ). I don't have any control over the dGPU voltage - If anyone has any ideas it would be great. I already tried NvidiaInspector, I can overclock to +135MHz on the Core and +188Mhz on the memory.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You need Prema's vbios to get OC limits off the BIOS.
    @Outofnames: I fixed the issue, it was RTSS degrading the GPU performance. I didn't observe RTSS becoming a resource hog on 980m.

9. ajp_anton

ajp_anton Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. I have two questions...

First, I'm using Windows 10, and the latest ThrottleStop ("Obsidian", it doesn't really show any version numbers... do I really have the real thing?). I can't minimize the program to system tray. I managed to get the tray icon to show up, but the regular taskbar program is still active. How do I hide the program into the background?

Second, I'm having trouble figuring out PowerCut. I have a laptop with i7-6560u. The readme guide only mentions 4th and 5th gen. Some people have commented that they got it working on their i7-6500u or similar Skylake CPUs, but they don't say how.